Wayfarer's Tavern

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Well yeah, they have more tar to absorb them. How long have you been smoking a pipe?

Also: The clock is hung, but it's stopping when the face and the hands are on. Extensive testing is needed. I know it sounds like I'm just smoking and staring at a clock, but...that is in fact exactly what I'm doing.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Holy shit, y'all, I'm on a goddamned roll with my writing. I sit down, full of anxiety about other things (and drink in hand) and all of a sudden, I've got a little over 1K words to add to my fantasy story and I still want to keep writing!

I'M FINALLY ON CHAPTER TWO, PEOPLE! CHAPTER! TWO!! THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!

Must keep on writing now.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

CHAPTER TWO ????????!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!capitolo due?????????????????!?!!!!глава вторая?????????????????????????!!!

Sheadra and Link the Writer like this.
  4. Link the Writer

Ja!

Capitolo dos
    , unodostrescuatrocinceseissieteochonueve. Capitolo dos.

Well, needless to say, the fantasy I used to think was broken can now be considered unbroken. :) I've got a path forward for this little thing.

123456789 likes this.
  5. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Even with them bringing such a stacked team in the Olympic qualifying year, today's was an incredible result. Almost as brutal as the Russia game in the 2010 Olympics. Believe it or not, this is the first time Canada holds all three of the World Junior Championship, World Men's Championship, and Olympic gold at the same time.

With consecutive Olympic golds, and young stars like MacKinnon, McDavid, Seguin, and Ekblad on the rise, it's never been better to be a Canadian hockey fan. Even if our NHL teams all suck. Especially the Leafs :(

minstrel likes this.
  6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When was the last Leafs team that was any good? They haven't won the Stanley Cup since the sixties. Every other Original Six team has won since then, multiple times. The Leafs are looking worse and worse. Ugh. These are bad times to be a Toronto hockey fan.

7. Agreen

They were alright in the early 2000's, because of their goaltending and Sundin carrying the team. Apparently in this year's draft lottery they had the best chance of winning before the final ball was drawn... they're probably going to get a star player in this year's draft, but missing out on a game-changer like McDavid stings. At least my local OHL team, the Oshawa Generals, is playing for the Memorial Cup so I've got one respectable team in my area.

8. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

I lived in Toronto seven years and am still in the GTA, but I cannot bring myself to cheer. Not counting on the second coming of Domi either.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

If only I watched hockey. ;)

10. Agreen

For the Leafs, just imagine some hideous merging of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, and the Raiders... except because of where they're located they're the most popular team in the league. They sure don't make it easy to cheer for them.

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

You're a brave man, Agreen. I salute you. ;)

12. Jack Asher

Okay, looks like the problem was the shims holding the face on were too tight. At least that's what I'm going with, because the tension on the drive wheel appears to be gone when I just pushed them in by hand, instead of giving them a light tap with a hammer. Looks like a learning experience.
    [​IMG]

Shadowfax and Lewdog like this.
  13. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

Congratulations!!!!!! Let's pour some drinks in this tavern!

14. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

OK, change of subject. Having done a trawl of agents - why do we still get agencies that only accept postal and why can't the ones that take email submissions at least set up an automatic receipt mail. It's not difficult. And finally, why do some agencies have such rubbishy web sites. They are either flash and miss some basics, or just so basic they look shoddy.

15. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

From the FT, on the recent Jewellery heist-
    Striking a blow for silver safe-crackers everywhere, the oldest of the eight was allegedly Brian Reader, 76, of the far-flung London satellite town of Dartford. Two more of the alleged conspirators were 74 and 67; the youngest was 48, the rest in their 50s. Instantly they became “Dad’s Army” or the “Diamond Wheezers”.
    How would such a vintage contingent manage to abseil down a lift shaft? How did they manoeuvre such a large drill (a Hilti DD350, which retails at more than £3,000) into position without anyone asking why it had been left next to the concrete wall of a vault?
    Got to be a book there hasn't there?

Sheadra likes this.
  16. Link the Writer

So I've just now made up new lyrics for the song/poem 'That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates' from The Hobbit book.

Toss his book down a drain,
    flush it down with all your might.
    Pour that wine all over his bed,
    rub it finely in the quilt,
    that's what Bilbo Baggins hates!

Take that Ring he so adores,
    toss it down a volcanic core!
    Watch it burn away some more,

Make him answer some more riddles,
    so that he becomes befuddled,
    then insult him and call him a moron,
    say he's dumber than ol' Aragorn,

Tell him he's a stupid guy,
    for not telling the truth on the fly,
    that he held an evil ring,
    held the fate of the world on a string,

Sorry, Bilbo, I couldn't resist. :p :D

17. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I wonder if you could stop music piracy by very consistently fining everyone double the cost of what they've illegally downloaded.

18. Jack Asher

Not likely. The RIAA policy of aggressive litigation hasn't made a dent in actual piracy. Now reducing the cost of the music on the other hand...

19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The RIAA probably loses money in their anti-piracy efforts. When I worked at one of the large firms, we represented them and sent out plenty of letters. They spent a lot on lawyers at the time. Maybe they've brought it in-house by now.

20. Jack Asher

You mean fining little girls millions of dollars over a 12 song playlist isn't lucrative? I'm shocked!

Shocked!

21. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah, I think the idea was to scare enough people with the threat of litigation that they'd stop downloading and get their kids to stop. Didn't work. At one point, Disney was even running episodes of kids cartoons where the story was about how bad it was to be a downloader. That didn't work either :)

My position was always that there are enough people who will still actually buy the music if you price it right and provide it in the convenient outlets users want, but that was an unpopular viewpoint.

22. Jack Asher

Jumping industries for an example, economists have projected that movie piracy could be cut by 90% by offering movies for $5 or releasing them the same day they came to theaters.

There's also the humongous resistance the RIAA gave to cassette tapes, or if you go back, printed sheet music. Piracy is here to stay and the industry needs to get used to it.

Edited to add: That goes for the print industry as well. The fact is that if you're getting published you're getting pirated, and you have to find a way to deal with that.

23. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

7,000 words in 4 days. I just need to finish off this short story and it'll be 2 first drafts in a week as well. I feel that this is an achievement after not writing for a looooooooong time.

*FF victory fanfare*

minstrel and Shadowfax like this.
  24. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

The Player Piano

“I foresee a marked deterioration in American Music…and a host of other injuries to music in its artistic manifestations by virtue – or rather by vice – of the multiplication of the various music reproducing machines” -- John Philips Sousa, 1906

The Video Cassette Recorder

"But now we are faced with a new and troubling assault on our fiscal security, on our very economic life, and we are facing it from a thing called the Video Cassette Recorder" -- MPAA President Jack Valenti in 1982

Cassette Tapes

"When the manufacturers hand the public a license to record at home...not only will the songwriter tie a noose around his neck, not only will there be no more records to tape, but the innocent public will be made accessory to the destruction of four industries" -- ASCAP, 1982

The Mp3 Player

“Diamond's product Rio was destined to undermine the creation of a legitimate digital distribution marketplace..." -- RIAA President Hillary Rosen in 1998

The Digital Video Recorder

"It's theft...Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming." Turner Broadcasting CEO Jaime Kellner in 2002

25. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

@Stacy C, at least Sousa was right. ;)