1. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Novel A couple of issues

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by afinemess, Sep 24, 2009.

I have a few things that are bothering me, so I'll lump them togther.

I have my novel divided into two distinct halves. The first half is Book One, the second, Book Two. The two together span ten years, book one covers cover six years rather quickly, each chapter or section starting with a month and year so the reader can keep up with the time line, and the second starts four years after the first one ends, and is flat out from there.
    I think it worked rather well, but I dont know if it's a common way to write. I havent read anything lately broken down like this. Plus, explaining to my husband that book one and two are the same novel and not seperate novels is like pulling teeth.
    Him: "So which are you gonna try and get published first?"
    Me: "It's all one book."
    Him (confused): "But it's two books."
    Me: "I saw Hemingway do it in a book and I liked it, it's normal."
    Him (shaking his head): "Then why call them books?"
    Me: "Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!"
    I like the seperation, because the first "book" leads us to a major shift in the novel, the main characters husband dies, and the second part picks up four years later. Is this okay to do, or will I get laughed at? I just havent read anything modern done this way.

Secondly, do you think a novel can have too much tragedy? This novel contains 3 deaths, an almost drowning, a fire, and a mental breakdown. (I mean, come on, if you went through all that you'd have one too, that has to stay. haha) It flows well, and its the point of the book, but I dont want my readers going "Gee, another thing going wrong, how redundant..." I guess the only real way to test this would be to have some people read it, but if anyone knows other things I could read that have a lot of drama, go ahead and reccomend them. That way I can see if I think it's annoying in other books.

Okay, enough rambles today, thank you all for your time!;)

2. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I always like the idea of using this format for large breaks in the story. For example, if a character overcomes a major obstacle or a monumental event that will change the story, then the Book II tag makes sense.

If however, it’s just a continuation of the story, then it might lose its effect.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Nope. Lots of books have deaths, murders, suicides, etc. But make sure you aren't including these things just for the sake of tragedy.

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I read Halo: Fall of Reach(yeah I know its probably not the best example) In it the Chapters start off with the Month, the day, and the year and the time. Well it also gives a location. The book also spands a couple decades I think.

Not sure how widely its used, but I know its been done before.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

many, many novels are still divided up into 'books'... it's done all the time, by big name novelists... and a series of tragedies/horrors also occur in many successful novels...

you should be able to pull several novels from your bookshelf, to prove to your hubby that it's a standard way for books to be divvied up... and to prove to yourself that a series of unpleasant happenings is far from rare in noveldom... i'd be concerned that you're not doing enough reading, if you don't know this... to become a good writer, one must be a constant reader, y'know...

6. I don't think you should worry about too much tragedy either. It's more entertaining, after all (to some readers, at least).

7. Sophronia

Sophronia New Member

Don't worry about the structure of your story sounding different. It sounds quite interesting to me, and I think some people go for 'different' stories anyways. The first Book being timed in months and the second Book being on a steady time line makes them both independent stories, but because of the overall plot, it also links them together. At least, that's what it sounds like to me heh.

As for your tragic elements, if you're worried about redundancy, you can go back, check your story line, and see if you can create balance. What I mean by that is create lighter situations that will keep the interest of the reader if they do get 'bored' with all the tragic things happening. You could add humor, some character development, accomplishments, etc.

8. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Thank you all for the replies!

I have mixed in lots of humor and side stories and a few happy surprises in the mix and i think it breaks up the tragic events. I think I'm freaking out now that I'm closing in on the finish and second guessing myself. I'll feel better about it when its complete and I've had a few reviews. I have this fear that people are going to read it and tell me its awful. Even though I feel its fabulous. haha I need to quit over thinking it, and just go with what I've got, or I'm going to screw it up.