1. AdamTheGreat

AdamTheGreat New Member

Weaponry for my Characters

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by AdamTheGreat, Apr 26, 2016.

Hi, this is my first time posting so correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe weaponry involved in a story has to do with the setting and area the story takes place.

Anyways, the story I'm starting is semi-fantasy. The characters will be anthropomorphic animals, mainly mice and frogs. Think Redwall. Except the story will be taking place in a more modern setting, the outskirts of a growing town, to be specific. I've also decided that the animals won't have well-made spears and swords as they'll still live like animals. They'll lack the skill and ability to make their own weapons. Therefore they must find whatever they can to fight.

So far I've thought of the frogs using discarded fish hooks found in their pond and other sharp objects pulled from the water while the mice will use needles and nails found in a more suburban area. Bottlecaps could serve as shields for both species. I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything else that could be wielded as a weapon by the characters? I'm a little stuck with finding more pointy things for them to fight with.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    BBQ skewers? If your frogs have fishhooks, they might have fishing weights too, which could be used as a sort of mace or morning star. Armor fashioned from empty soda cans?

3. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

I really like this idea. It's a tad funny while casting a skeptic frown upon human society as well. I suggest you go for a hike through the outskirts of your town, plenty of trash littering roadsides and bushes. Might I remind you of the fact that these animals are small and as such won't necessarily need ilmetal objects to kill with. A well-placed straw, snatched from one of many discarded MCDonalds cups all too frequently seen littering the streets, into the mouth of a frog might just make it go pop!

4. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Wheres there is fishing hooks and sinkers there is fishing line and discarded beer cans.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Wait, are your anthropomorphic animals the same species that's building the town? I find it highly unlikely that a species could be advanced enough to start civilizing without having already figured out how to build primitive weapons. Or are your animals more like chimps on the edge of a human town where the human build things and chimps are just smart enough to use them?

6. SMScoles

SMScoles New Member

The first thing I thought of was anot entire group of mice with a Three Musketeers type of style using those little cocktail swords instead of rapiers.

Random items that could be used:

Xacto blades. Toothpicks. Matches. Lighters. BBs, ball bearings. Toy soldier helmets. Tin cans, torn and shaped into armor. Popsicle sticks. Foil pieces. Plastic bottles. Rubber bands. Paper clips. Thumb tacks. Small and large nails and screws. Pieces of popular board games.

Rubber bands and a few other things to make catapults and sling shots.

Fishing line and stick = bow. Toothpick arrows?

7. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

The second one. But they're cuter than chimps.

8. AdamTheGreat

AdamTheGreat New Member

The people live in and are expanding the town, the animals just take from them.

Some great ideas here, I think you summed up what most the others had said as well.

My list as of last night had included-
    Fish Hooks
    Nails
    Tooth Picks
    Fishing Line
    Needles
    Razor Blades
    Bottle Cap Shields

And after that I kind of just generalized with sharp metal scraps and various other bits of trash. The armor ideas are good, though, and I think I'll include them as well.

9. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Early human weapons were clubs, I would think discarded pipes would be popular.

They'd probably also hoard or maybe even worship real human weapons that they find. Youtube what happens when you give chimp an AK-47.

10. AdamTheGreat

AdamTheGreat New Member

I've seen that video! Definitely had some negative side effects, with all the random firing :D. Bringing up them worshiping things has gotten me thinking on the possibility of religion for them, but that is a whole different topic.

11. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Twine/Nylon string as a whip/chain dart
    Sticks for staffs
    Sling Shots for Catapults?
    Beer bottles for battering rams/prison cells
    Forks, Spoons & Knives for spears
    Rings for immobilization (Slide the ring over a prisoner to prevent usage of arms) or bludgeoning
    Pencils for Javelins
    The thorns from goat-burrs for darts (dipped in ground apple seeds to make poisonous)