1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Website Web designer recommendations? Or favourite author websites?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by BayView, Jun 4, 2016.

One of my goals for this years is to streamline my web presence, and I'm looking for a web designer to help me with that.

Has anyone worked with a web designer who did really good work?

Alternatively, do you have any author websites you think are doing a great job? (I can contact the authors to ask for references)

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

These guys have just revamped our website at work: http://www.philosophydesign.com/ Although this was a corporate commission, we didn't have a big budget at all and they've done a great job. I'll PM you the website so you can check out their work.

BayView likes this.
  3. JennaPeterson88

JennaPeterson88 Member

I plan to handle my own webdesign needs when the time comes, so this isn't something I've researched. Off the top of my head, though, I think Patrick Rothfuss' web presence is great. Besides Robert J Sawyer (who I believe handles his own site), Rothfuss is the most prominently featured author in all my news feeds. http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/

BayView likes this.
  4. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I did my own at www.lewis-mcintyre.com, using Squarespace @ $100/year including domain name. They were extremely helpful my getting my very first site up and operating. I kept it simple and did not find it difficult, other than initially mastering the terminology. Consider rolling your own with them.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Your site isn't loading for me... 504 gateway timeout the first time I tried, then a 500 internal server error.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I like Alyssa Harad's site (http://alyssaharad.com) --though I must say that it's one of the few author websites I've ever looked at, so mine isn't that informed an opinion. (I got there through the perfume blog path, rather than the "book" path.) Apparently it was created by a company named WebsyDaisy.

BayView likes this.
  7. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

It's very clean and consistent, blog and all.

8. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Try it again, perhaps the server was down? I clicked on the link in your post and it came right up

9. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Alyssa's is a 'wordpress theme' – taken and tweaked I figure by her web designer. I like it, it's clean and the colour scheme+lines of visual grammar match the book that's being promoted. I'd tweak it if it were mine (not much) by softening or radiusing some of the corners and I'd look to playing with the typography by losing the prevalence of upper case/toying with the font weights.

Some other wordpress themes...

10. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member

I'm Currently using wordpress.com....I've registered my .co.uk through siteground (through a recommendation) and its uses wordpress as your portal, siteground.com have offers on at the moment.

11. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I know this is an older thread, but I might be able to help out with web hosting and/or web design. Definitely willing to offer basic help for free, especially with Wordpress, unless we're talking about advanced design and customization.

Honestly what I'd recommend is building a website on Wordpress on a basic hosting plan, with your own domain name, finding a good theme (probably paid), then customizing it to your needs. Customization is pretty simple if you know basic Wordpress and CSS.