Weeee! I got my first 1 star review.

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by doggiedude, Sep 19, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The only time i use the [redacted] thing is for comic effect - like the .... until the handle comes off and you have to go to the doctor to have taken out' scene from waynes world

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

It wouldn't make any difference to my mum, because she'd still be forced to imagine the censored word and have to say it in her head. She's exactly as @Tenderiser describes hers.

On the rare occasion she settles down to watch a film with my dad, he has to try and make sure it's free of swearing because as soon as she hears one she leaves the room.

doggiedude likes this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I've certainly seen a correlation pertaining to age and tolerance of swear words. Obviously, there are exceptions, but I think older people are more likely to be turned away by certain words.

My mom is like that and my dad was, to a certain extent, the same way.

doggiedude likes this.
  4. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

It reminds of a bit from a comedian (I think it's C.K. Lewis)

Paraphrasing here -- Don't say the N-word. I don't mean nigger. I mean, actually speaking, "The N word."
    When you say, "The N word." you're putting nigger into my thoughts. If you want me to think nigger, then have the balls to say it.

StayRed, OurJud and Spencer1990 like this.
  5. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Congrats on being published! PM the link so I can read it, review it, buy it, etc...

No joke, link please.

6. doggiedude

Link is in my signature. Thank you. I'd love to get more reviews.

7. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Case in point: I just reviewed the last book I read. It has 35 reviews of 4/5* and only one with lower - a 3* review. Why three?

There was so little 'vulgarity' in this book that I didn't even register it.

doggiedude likes this.
  8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I left you a review. I should have done it before but I'm lazy.

doggiedude likes this.
  9. Johnattan Goodboy

Johnattan Goodboy Member

If i had criticism like that i would feature the hell of it to promote my work just for laughs as a badge of honor ahahaha :) Atleast someone is taking the time to review your stuff such work is na achievement in itself...Best of luck mate cheers ;)

doggiedude likes this.
  10. doggiedude

I appreciate that very much! :cheerleader:

11. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

There are certain things in writing (and other forms of media) that unfortunately have been exploited to the point of ruining it for everyone. Vampires, drugs/depression, dirty sex, and very bad language are a few prime examples. Your work may implement something fine, but it's the other thousand people who have included it unrealistically and gratuitously, that spoils it for you, too.

doggiedude likes this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

What's their take on Clark Gable in Gone With the Wind? "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a dagnabbit."

doggiedude likes this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Never mind the swearing, I'm hung up on the other bit. "I really do not know the purpose of this story. Did not read part one and don't know that I will. Do not recommend even as a short read. Dreary and too many unanswered questions."

Maybe if they'd read part one, some of their questions might have been answered? It wasn't called a Prologue, was it?

peachalulu and 123456789 like this.
  14. doggiedude

Nope. Mapleberry I & Mapleberry II

[​IMG]

zoupskim likes this.
  15. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I've heard that's one of the most prestigious short story competitions in the world. Congratulations on Gold!

Tenderiser and doggiedude like this.
  16. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Read the first page. A lot better than I had anticipated.

17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

ahh but would "frankly my dear I don't give a good fuck" have been stronger or weaker than the classic line ? :D

18. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

"Gosh, that Mobutu really chaps my hide!" **proceeds to resolve conflict with rock, paper, scissors**

I think "rat's ass" is a happy medium.

Catrin Lewis and doggiedude like this.
  19. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I just finished reading a fairly popular YA novel that used a little butterfly symbol in place of any swear words.

It was an apocalyptic novel. 90% of the population die a horrible death, including the MC's parents and baby brother, we get a description of the dead mother wrapped protectively around the body of the dead baby... that's all fine. But swear words? Better butterfly them out pronto!

doggiedude likes this.
  20. doggiedude

The sad thing is that there are parents who would censor material because of curse words so the author/publisher felt that this was the more profitable alternative.

I remember years ago when working in a CVS (I'm a retired pharmacist) I had a new technician / cashier and she asked for my initials which she needed to enter into the computer.
    I told her, "my initials are AH as in asshole. You'll never forget them now."
    She went home and told her parents about this & they proceeded to call my district manager about my potty mouth.

21. big soft moose

:D

I say Tshombe old bean I do think its frightfully awful of you to try and run off with our copper , would you mind terribly if some psychotic comunist inspired rebels come and chat weith you about it over tea and biscuits...

22. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Senior Member

Isn't that sort of like getting your first hater as a youtuber? it would seem so.
    Sadly, I'm not big enough on youtube yet to have haters, I still long for the day though!

23. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

This seems to have gone off topic a bit, but on profanities & curses--I'm 26 and I really rather never hear them. I actively avoid them if I can. But I don't censor others, I just separate myself. If a book has extensive (subjective) vulgarities or swears, I'll leave off. If a friend or acquaintance uses them, I've found those who know me are fairly accommodating & considerate in trying as best they can not to, but overall if it's something I don't want to listen to I just politely go my own way.

While on the one hand, I think my grandfather's opinion applies to a lot of individuals I've met who use profanities like punctuation of "cursing is a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully," I also think that swear words in fact hold very specific & unique meanings.

First & foremost, they're emotional words & actually are stored not with language but in the emotional part of the brain. It's why stutterers, people who lose their use of speech, and quite specifically my sister who underwent brain surgery have immediate access to profanities but struggle with other spoken forms of communication. As emotional words, it can be used to best clearly express specific emotions.

Also, like anything seen as vulgar, crude, or disturbing, it can have a place in other forms of expression & be utilized to force the listener/reader to deal with issues or ideas they might not otherwise.

There are books & films and various other mediums that use profanities and I'll endure them because it was necessary or the overall work is just too good not to. But even if I (subjectively) find the cursing is too much, I just leave off & not enjoy it. I'm not here to police others, even if my opinion is that it would be greatly improved without any or simply increase my pleasure of it.

Lost72 and Scot like this.