1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Week Zero!

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by JJ_Maxx, Oct 28, 2013.

So here we are, week zero. We still have a handful of days before the clock begins!

I will admit that my plot has come a long way, but the middle is signficantly lacking. I need to add more sub-plots or my story is going to fizzle out quickly.

Also most of my story is in my head, and I really need to do my chracter sheets. (Look at me, already procrastinating!)

Share your week zero issues!

2. Trish

Trish I've been deleted.. again Contributor

My issues for week zero are that I have no plans, lol. I tend to be a sotp writer so I have no clue what I'm going to do and I never plan things out ahead of time. I also never really title a book until it's at least halfway - even a working title. So... in theory I'm no worse off than I ever am and I'm fighting the urge to plan. Because planning, to me, will end up with me writing - which is cheating. So...

That's what week zero looks like for me, lol.

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I am finding it hard to go to sleep because I'm doing actual dialogue in my head and creating character sheets by memory and not writing them down. I have figured out how I am going to introduce one of my killers early in the novel to the police without them actually knowing who he is until they meet him again. I have also come up with the profession of the killers, but now I need to figure out the murder weapon. Does anyone know an old wood working tool that could be sharp enough that it could be used to almost cut someone's head off? :p

4. Trish

Well, that depends... how old? And you mean like one swipe? An ax comes to mind, but that's probably too obvious. A chisel, an adz, tons of saws, etc. I'm not sure of the method or era you're looking for so it's hard to answer. I mean, even a good old claw hammer could if you dig in enough times.....

5. Lewdog

Well I did some digging and found this. It is called a Draw Knife and it is used to round corners on wood. They come with all kind of different handles and angles. Some actually have the blade bowed in an arc in the middle which I really like.

[​IMG]

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

My grandfather had a wood shop and he used to use these thick metal lathe tools for woodturning. (Table legs, spindles, etc..)

7. Trish

I have one.. they're fun, and yeah you could use a lot of the tools, though in general most of them would be the same method as a chisel...

8. Lewdog

It has to be portable and able to be somewhat concealed. The murder/murders will do most of their killing somewhere else besides where they live/work. I like the idea of this draw knife because he can get behind the victim and with two quick draws, it will be all-she-wrote for the poor soul.

9. Trish

Gotcha. I would use an adz probably, but that's because I think it's more versatile...

10. Lewdog

The key is, the murder/murders is killing the clergy in public places so they need to silence them right away so they slit their throat to cut their wind pipe and vocal cords. Once that is done they have enough time to say a prayer and talk to the person dying without them screaming out, and then they finally give the killing slice. They are religious fanatics that believe solely in the Old Testament, but if they are going to kill in the name of God, they are going to pray for the victim to gain salvation. Does that kind of make sense?

11. Trish

Yes, it makes sense. A spoon knife would be useful, and probably much more easily concealed? But may require a little knowledge and finesse. I don't see anything wrong with what you already have though.

Is your MC a carpenter or is the method symbolic because Jesus was? Just curious.

12. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

i have a basic plan set out, but i dont know if i can be arsed to to a more detailed one, i have a free day tomorrow, hopefully my parents leave me enough time to make a somewhat more detailed plan (though im a pantser, so me and plans don't really mix) and i need better character profiles, can anyone suggest anything?

13. Lewdog

I'm going to have them doing work out of an abandoned building, building small wooden toys to sell at street markets for extra money. He is going to say he is an immigrant so it is hard to get a regular job so making the toys is about the only thing he can do. The police find him when they are searching buildings for vagrants that might have committed the murders.

14. Trish

Got it. :)

15. Trish

Suggest anything for better character profiles? I wish I could but I'm a complete pantser. No profiles, names, settings, nothing, lol.

16. Lewdog

Heck I might start on my character sheets tonight! I also need to get a list of Baptist and other non-Catholic churches that were around in 1920's Chicago. Then I also have to get a detailed map of Chicao back then.

17. Trish

I get it. And honestly, I wish I could do that sometimes. But every damned time I try to figure things out before hand I'm totally bored with it by the time it starts. I have no discipline in this area it seems, I want to go on the adventure too, lol. It's no fun if I already know the end...

Lewdog likes this.
  18. Lewdog

I think it really depends on the novel you are writing. If it is an adventure where you are making up new races, species, and places, doing character sheets and researching your setting isn't quite as important, as when it's real-world things and people who read your novel will know if you put in your work or not. Like if I said they went back to the police station on Main St., and people know it was on Maple Street, I'll look like a fool.

19. Trish

Except that I've never written a fantasy novel (or story) in my life, lol. Well, I did once actually, first one when I was a kid, but it thankfully was lost, lol. I write entirely real life stuff, with real places (though I may change names ;) ). It's just the way I work. I can't seem to change it and still be productive. I totally get what you're saying though.

20. Lewdog

You do not have permission to use me in your novels! :D

21. Trish

Damn. For real? You just screwed up my whole plan. Back to the drawing board..... :D

22. MsScribble

MsScribble Member

I'm excited to start BUT I haven't done well outlining. I don't want to jump in blindly again - that never works out well. Plus I've been sick for about a week, so nothing's been done, let alone outlining a well-selling novel which will be eventually be made into a movie (directed by Gore Verbinski) and allow me to live in New York for a year. Or maybe France. Rural France, where all those old farmhouses are.
    Every time I watch the Weatherman I want to write a movie script.

Trish likes this.
  23. Trish

Awesomeness. :D