Weird things you believed in when you were a child but were proven wrong...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Link the Writer, Jan 25, 2010.

1. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Coolest water tower ever.

Merc, along the lines of you thinking your parents had hidden camera crews following you, I used to just think there were invisible people or something observing me constantly. I don't know why. Sometimes I still feel like they're there. :rolleyes:

I used to think that if my foot or arm was sticking off the side of my bed, something would swing down and chop it off. :confused:

And I used to think that when I slept, everything covered by my blanket was kept safe in the event that something bad happened, but everything sticking out of the blanket was susceptible to harm. I don't know where that came from, but I still have difficulty sleeping without being completely covered by my blanket.

2. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

My girlfriend is superstitious. I'm not talking about the things that most people don't do, either, she sees it as some sort of religion. This is where she lives, to the nearest town (I doubt anyone will try to go there, for obvious reasons). That's probably her explanation ;)

Her interactions with animals, her introduction to people she doesn't know, and her opinions on events are dicated by her superstition.

- Don't wear green
    - Don't approach any horses near water (they may be kelpies)
    - Don't approach any animals if you are walking at night (shapeshifters)
    - Don't forget that the creature that provides assistance around the house wants to be rewarded with cream
    - Don't forget to place a Bible near a pregnant woman, as it protects against the fairies
    - Don't forget to keep a candle burning near cattle and sheep at night, to protect them from being possessed
    - If someone plays the nine of diamonds in a card game, they forfeit their money

She's not crazy, but she does take the typical Leodhas superstition (which is easily the equal of that of the Chinese, and often has something to say about anything people do) back to the 1400s, at times.

3. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

*Worms come out of the ground when it rains because they like the water (they are actually trying not to drown)
    *Step on a crack and you will break your mother's back (Now it is an OCD thing)
    *You could be a virgin and still get pregnant just like Mary (Catholic school...yay)
    *Clusters of mushrooms were actually fairy circles (I still WANT to believe that one)
    *When the cats stare at something I can't see..they are looking at ghosts (maybe they are...who am I to say)

4. Subok1

Subok1 New Member

I used to think a monster comes out and eats people not sleeping after 12AM my village when i was 6. A fruit would fall and my mom would tell me to sleep because "The Beast" is awake.

And i believed in the Tooth Fairy, Santa, Easter Bunny, God, etc...

I Believe in Spirits. My girlfriend can summon demons to do her bidding...

5. Fabulosa

Fabulosa New Member

I was a very freckly kid, and I read somewhere that that was because I had dark pigment in my skin, which was breaking out in response to the sun.

Now for pigment, I read 'pig meat'.

So, I believed people had pig meat in their skin. Did that seem strange? Well yes, but so did lots of things.

Did I wonder why people had pig meat in their skin? Well yes, but not enough to think up a connection between that and eating bacon or anything.

Did it bother me that people were partly composed of pig meat? Nope. Just one of those weird things.

6. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

When I was 3 or 4 I believed that someone could take my nose off, a game my mom and my aunt loved to play with me, and throw it out of the moving car window. We were on a car trip at that time and driving on the highway, my aunt in the back seat with me, took my nose and threw it out the window. I cried hysterically for about 20 miles. It took them quite a while to convince me that my nose was still on my face. They didn't play that with me anymore after that day.

Also in the 4-6 year old mind of mine, I thought belly-buttons had something to do with getting babies into the mother's belly. That somehow it opened up and the baby was made somehow. I was about 7 when I finally researched how babies were made. I was the most informed first grader ever.

My mother had me convinced as a child that I could write letters to Jesus and she could actually mail them to him...in heaven. Yeah. It's pretty ridiculous now that I think of it. I wonder what she did with those letters?

I never watched Chucky, but seeing advertisements for it around when I was little, I was certain that my talking cabbage patch doll was going to come to life and kill me in my sleep. I used to take the batteries out of her at night and turn her on my dresser to face the wall, as if that would help me.

I was also positive that gremlins lived under my bed, or that they came out of the walls at night like the end of that Stephen King movie "Cat's Eye." I would always hear noises that sounded like scratching and clawing right at dawn and for several hours later. I was always terrified to get out of bed in the morning. I thought they would get me. Come to find out, years later, I figured out that it was just the birds in the morning dancing around on the roof and outside my window. HAHA

Currently, I am having issues convincing my subconscious that aliens are not going to appear in my bedroom to take me away at 3:33 AM. I can't sleep. That's what I get for watching a stupid movie like The Fourth Kind.

7. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Between the ages of 7 and 10, I thought I was a witch. No, seriously, I used to tell people all the time.

8. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    I slept in a bookshelf (at least I believe that's what it was, i could be mistaken on what the box actually held) box for three months, after reading Dracula when I was seven.

9. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

For the false sense of enclosed security or becaue you pretended it was a coffin?

10. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    the latter, I was very morbid. I also recall that it was thrown out after a long ordeal with a counselor due to me biting a kid who punched me.

11. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

My Mum stood on a Huntsman spider once and I remember her saying that she heard its bones break.

I went all the way into adulthood with this never being corrected... until I got my first job as a veterinary nurse and I found out that in fact spiders don't have bones.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I believed that you could go to a special shop and buy babies and take them home after trying them out. I could never understand why my parents didn't ask for a refund with one of my sisters, or even to swap her as she was very nasty to me, and why they never got a replacement for my baby brother who seemed broken cause he always cried, all day and all night. It was baffling. I realised years later of course, but when I had my kids and went to the hospital, I realised why I thought they came from shops as a little girl. Those nurseries look like a baby shop LOL!

Nervous, I used to think the same about spiders.

13. Patrick Oh!

Patrick Oh! New Member

Myself,
    Wait...
    I use to believe that people came from magic,
    And then science betch slapped the ideals out of me ;]

14. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I used to think babies were magically made out of thin air. Curse the first Sims! XD

15. JoenSo

JoenSo New Member

I still do that. Just in case. Paranoia makes life more interesting. Though I never thought that my parents were responsible for me being watched. I did however suspect that people turned into timetravelling, invisible ghosts when they died, which meant that you could always be watched. It sure made going to the bathroom rather uncomfortably.

I also thought that whenever you bought a videogame, the developers of the game could somehow see you through the tv/computer screen if they wanted to. So I hated losing in video games, since I just knew that the good people of SEGA or Team 17 were watching me through the screen and laughing at me for being such a lousy player. It seems I was a rather paranoid kid now that I think about it. Of course, no one has proven me wrong yet...

16. Link the Writer

When I played Super Mario 64 when it came out, I was convinced that the desert level was actually Egypt and that's what Egypt really looked like. I would enter the pyramids wondering where the mummies were (At the time, I knew a bit about Egypt like it was a desert, it had pyramids, and that's where it had mummies). I always assumed Bowser kidnapped them as well. As to why he would need 3,000 year old Egyptian pharaohs? I didn't know (have a zombie army perhaps?), but I was convinced he had them in his claws.

"Don't worry Peach and Egyptian Mummies! I'll rescue you!" is what I always said. XD

17. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

When I was about 8 my I was talking to my dad about how excited I was for my birthday (though it was still a couple months away, you know how little kids are) but my dad told me that every 8 years or they actually skip april (the month of my birthday) so that it would just go from March to May and I would have no birthday that year. He did tell me fiarly soon afterwards that he was lying though.

And in my defense, my dad is amazing at keeping a straight face. I was so upset when he told me that too.

18. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I clearly remember when i was in grade one, one afterbnoon we were discussing healrth issues (dental care that day) and the teacher teling us you have nine sets of teeth in you're lifetime but how we need to look after them bdecause thats it when you go through them.

It was strange because it was our regular teacher, not some random subsutute for the day....She must have decided to pay a game with us nothing of it. (But i remember tt well).

I remember telling my mum proudly a few days later and her reaction of "what?"

So i guess teachers have a sense of humour. A odd odd, surely.

19. Link the Writer

To add to the insanity of Bowser kidnapping Egyptian mummies:

When I started playing "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" and approached the Redeads (zombies, basically), I was horrified, thinking that they were the dead Egyptian mummies that were forced to roam in a state of undeadness.

Yes, you read that correctly. Somehow, Bowser kidnapped the Egyptian mummies and transported them to another Nintendo game to have them zombified.

Yeah, what an active imagination I had. XD

20. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

I'm still playing The Wind Waker.

I hate redeads, just because they're annoying. But Floor Masters, the big black-and-purple hands that pop up and grab you.

GOD, I HATE Floor Masters@

21. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

I somehow got it into my head that diamonds were what you got when you squished coal together. And, seeing as how I acquired most of my vocabulary by reading, I mispronounced almost everything, from debris to abyss. For all I know, I could still be mispronouncing half the words I use. :)

22. JoenSo

JoenSo New Member

Haha! I thought that too! That made me remember that I also thought that you could make amber by putting resin in the freezer. I quickly realized that that wasn't the case though.

23. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

For some reason I thought that when my mother said, "Pardon?" I was in huge trouble.

When I was really young, I would pronounce my r's like w's and some s's like th's. When my mom couldn't understand me, she'd say, "Pardon?" And I would freak out, assuming I was in trouble, and retreat upstairs.

24. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

...wait...I thought diamonds did come from coal...

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Coal, graphite, and diamond are all allotropic forms of carbon. In theory, you can rearrange the atomic bonds and arrangement of the carbom atoms from one form to another, but in practice it is very difficult.

The temperatures and pressures to force carbon into the tetrahedral network covalent form known as diamond are extreme. In nature on Earth, it takes the kind of heat and pressure that can only be found in volcanic pipes, and an absence of air. Diamonds are typically formed in timeframes ranging from millseconds to weeks, because that is how long the necessary conditions can be maintained.

Coal is formed under much lower pressures and temperatures under conditions that cause chemical reduction of carbon compounds over thousands or millions of years. Coal is an amorphous, non-crystalline form of carbon.

Graphite is also a network covalent form of carbon, but in planes of hexagonal rings of carbon. It forms at higher pressure than coal, but similar temperatures and time. Because of its planar structuer, it is not as rigid as diamond, but is very strong against stretching forces. That makes it ideal for such items as lightweight fishing rods, golf club handles, and bicycle frames.