Weird Writing Habits

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Geckofeet, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Phantomwriter

Phantomwriter New Member

Well... I don't really have any weird habits per se unless you count the fact that I need background noise in order to writer. Whether tv or music I need something; it kind of acts as a disctraction but at the same time it helps because I can be so ingrossed in my writing that it is unhealthy. So the noise acts as a barrier to keep my sanity. That also brings up the point that I need to put my writing down then pick it back up.

2. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Could not agree more topeka sal! :)

3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I have a couple:
    • when I'm suuuuuuuuper busy with stuff (work, school, family, life, etc.), i tend to get the urge to lock myself away and write. Never fails. I could have a crap ton of stuff I need to get done for work, and I start feeling overwhelmed, i retreat into my "world." this is why i have notebooks everywhere.
    • When I'm in the car DRIVING, a get bursts of inspirations and will sometimes pull over to write (I have a notebook in my car...)
    • for some unknown reason, I use British spelling. "monologue" "catalogue" "colour" (that one was corrected quickly), "towards/backwards" (a college writing professor wrote in the margins of my paper "this is America, we drop the unnecessary 's'"). I learned to read and write in Italy, but my teachers were American, so I dont know how it developed. I was never corrected on it, so even now at work, my coworkers will comment on it. its not TECHNICALLY wrong, just different.

Malisky and Cave Troll like this.
  4. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Writing while listening to thunderstorm tracks on Youtube. Also, writing super condensed scene descriptions in my little notebook at work.

Murkie and Malisky like this.
  5. Platina

Platina Member

Does needing music or background noise, like a TV, count? I can't write in complete silence, otherwise, my mind goes 100 miles an hour, and then I lose my writing focus from natural background noises. I have no idea why this happens. As funny as it sounds, music helps me stay on track as well as give me ideas.

6. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

1) Taking interest in various kinds of people that most people would rather avoid or not even notice. I believe it's a writer's curiosity and duty. Wanna write people? Get to know them first. Actually I'm not sure what came first. The curiosity for people that led to writing or the writing that led to curiocity for people? Not sure, but this is irrelevant.

2) Not sure if this counts but if everytime I avoided meeting up with a person by saying "I'm writing" I'd already have passed Stephen King's bibliography in writing. It's ridiculous, but yes, sometimes I take advantage of my "writer's" profile.

3) Going to new places and having an instant rush of story snapshots. Observing things that others don't. Seeing things that others don't. Directing people that aren't really there. I get lost in these moments and my friends never cease to notify me that I look kinda off as I'm scanning the place around. Like I'm plotting something. Well, they aren't exactly wrong. We see different things. They see the broken glass on the floor, I see a pissed off, inebriated person shattering the display window with a bottle of beer. They see a tree and I see a person hanging from a branch. Cute, little details.

7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

That might be your filmmaker's eye at work.
    Ah, directing your imaginary friends! Like the puppets I used to direct, they never refuse to do what you ask them to. So much more cooperative than pesky actual real people! :cool: :rolleyes: The imaginary ones, and especially the puppets, tend to lack any powerful emoting though.

Malisky likes this.
  8. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Mine are overly dramatic sometimes. True divas. :p

Xoic likes this.
  9. rick roll rice

rick roll rice Member

Daily output must be at the exact word count I want.