1. T.R.P.

T.R.P. Member

Welcome to the Arennian Universe

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by T.R.P., Jul 2, 2014.

Hello! I'm so glad to be among so many talented writers and read your wonderful stories! Its such a different experience from just getting used to how one or two different acclaimed writers deliver their stories, and I'm happy to witness the growth and try contributing to blossoming new authors. Friends and family have always told me I'm a good writer, although I take everything they say with a grain of salt (mostly due to my own complex sense of self-esteem and general distrust toward other people). Here, I hope to get the un-admonished truth behind how good or how bad my works really are.
    I am a nineteen year old (only for two more days!) Film major in junior college, also studying music performance playing trumpet at Riverside City College - it is my dream to attend Full Sail University this coming year with the money I make from writing as many of my original ideas as I can and getting them published between now and next Fall. Eventually, I will be directing movies off of my novels, hopefully becoming a prominent name in the film industry. My stories primarily center around a fictional universe in persisting contest between its two distinct realms - one of law, reason, mortality, and realism, and its much more chaotic doppelganger. The friction between the two dimensions occasionally causes energy and creatures from the chaotic realm - sometimes called The Void, or Spirra's Realm, or what have you - to escape into the Euripides Galaxy (or, the dimension of reality), usually causing significant conflict among their natural inhabitants. Arennia has a deep and very involved mythological background which, much like our own world, the details of which become more clouded and convoluted as time goes on.
    The first of many series that I am working on is titled, "The Fall of Venteran", and focuses on the planet of mankind's true origin in the Old Euripides Galaxy, whose denizens are directly descended from the twelve divines. The complex progression of Venteran and her people lead to countless wars, incredible technological advancements, and a greater understanding of Euripides' frightening and mysterious twin realm from which beings of both benevolence and malevolence arrive from in equal measure. Eventually, it is man's own folly which causes a mass exodus from the planet, now doomed to utter annihilation.
    Anyways, I have already completed the first volume of the series, titled "Kingdom Come", which contains the drama of a cunning Venteran ruler and his battle against corruption in the church, called The Order, whose so-called devotion to a monotheistic way of life forces its country into fear and poverty for the sake of outdated traditions and the continued luxuries of its own officials. With help from local mercenaries and members of the church's army, the Crimson Guard, Lord Allan Aveor sets out to discover the truth behind the rumors of monsters attacking people, with deep-seated malice hidden behind his seemingly chivalrous actions. I am in the process of researching the publishing process and building connections in order to find an agent with whom I can send off my book. I have very high hopes for all my ideas, and I hope they will be received well by avid readers of the medieval fantasy drama genre, as well as other fiction audiences.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, T.R.P., and welcome to the forum! Please read the New Member Quick Start Guide, participate, and have fun. This is a great forum for writers and I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

Good luck with your series. It might be a little unrealistic, though, to rely on earnings from writing between now and the fall to pay for your university. The publication process just takes too long for that to happen, even if your work is truly outstanding and is accepted by the first publisher who sees it. Still, there's no harm in getting the ball rolling, is there? Finding an agent is a good way to start! :)

3. T.R.P.

T.R.P. Member

Um, anyways, I'm really not sure quite how to go about doing this - especially in real life, since I don't interact with many other published authors and I'm too shy to find and contact any out of the blue - but after familiarizing myself a little with the publishing process, I discovered that referrals would help greatly in finding an agent.
    So, I don't know if its rude or too forward to ask those of you on the site who are published or somehow have a rapport with literary agents (preferably in or around my genre of fiction / fantasy), but I would immensely appreciate your help. At the very least, some advice about what to do next or encouragement to go out and make friends with local writers would also be happily accepted t_t

And yes, I've finished a novel, proofread it, re-proofread it, picked it with a fine-toothed comb, let it sit in the oven for half an hour - but maybe I haven't gotten around to re-re-proofreading it yet - so if you want to read my book or just an excerpt from it, I can e-mail it to you. And if you're published or you're in contact with any good literary agents, I'd love if you let me know their info and maybe sent them a little positive blurb about me or my writing c:
    And it may take a while, but I'll definitely find some way to repay you if you help me out, somewhere down the line.
    (A Lannister always pays his debts.)

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:confused:

Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't think this is how it works. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to send your manuscripts to agents yourself.

5. T.R.P.

T.R.P. Member

UPDATE:
    Hoo boy, was I an ambitious, optimistic little ****...
    I would still say that I'm pretty ambitious, I just think I'm better at being realistic now. I'm sorry to have spent so much time away from the forums - I had a lot of fun re-reading what few conversations I took part in when I first joined all those many, many years ago (ok, come on, it was only like three years, man). Anyways, I plan on being more involved with this site in the future and posting some of my stories, which was always my intention. I was surprised to remember I had never actually started sharing any of my actual work on here other than short excerpt(s?).
    In acknowledgement of my original introduction: many of the same concepts and principles still apply to the overall landscape of my stories, though the "Arennian Universe" has gone through a few changes and thorough overhauls through the years. I'll probably rewrite the novel I so boldly and proudly stated I had finished because - as few people know - I experimented with trying to write it exclusively through character dialogue, which upon completion the plot and events contained within probably make sense to the writer and nobody else.
    [link removed]
    I believe I originally wanted to post at least some of my stories on this here thread, but I think I'll start a separate thread in case I want to do more. So maybe I'll turn this into kind of a personal blog / space where people can send me hate mail, call me a pretentious, ****-******* ******, or what have you.
    I very much look forward to catching up with some of you and making some new friends on here! Glad to finally be back. :)

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Important to note that every forum is different, with its own set of rules and requirements. Make sure to read our Forum Rules concerning the posting of work, posting of links, emails, etc.

7. T.R.P.

T.R.P. Member

Right, sorry, gotcha. Been a while, and I just now brushed up on the rules. Thanks!