1. dmgwriting

dmgwriting New Member

How did you get into writing?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dmgwriting, Jul 26, 2016.

I'm not only new to the writing forums, I am quite new to writing in general! Well writing online at least. About 4 months ago I signed up to various freelancing sites, and yet I am only making it to the forums today.

Having read a few posts I am excited to join and believe I can learn a lot from other members, and hopefully share any experiences I have had in my short writing career.

Enough about me... How did you get into writing? I'd love to hear everyone's experiences.

Where are my manners, I'm David! DMG will do.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Shn1010

Shn1010 Member

Actually I started out pretty early. I used to get inspired by our grade school literature classes. I wrote my first poem in 2nd grade and it wasn't too bad. Then I used to write short stories and I even got one published by the newspaper. This is embarrassing for me to admit, but I stole the idea. Well, I was only in 4th grade. Then I started to pump out an entire saga by the time I was in 5th grade but it was genuinely bad. Terrible. I wrote more poems by the time I went to middle school and they were a lot better. However, I stopped writing in 8th grade and started focusing on science. Quite a mistake. Then I had a mental breakdown in the 10th grade and that is when I went back to writing.

I started writing my first novel in 12th grade.

That was long! I'm Shahreen but you can call me Shn. (It's pronounced like Shin)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @dmgwriting, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you going around here. Participate and have fun!

How did I get into writing? I'm the type that can't be a fan of something without wanting to do it myself. I became a huge science fiction fan when I was a preteen, so I started writing science fiction stories then, slavishly imitating my favorite writers at the time. I've branched out a lot since, but I'm still writing (at 55 years old!), and I still sometimes write science fiction. :)

Oscar Leigh and Shn1010 like this.
  4. dmgwriting

dmgwriting New Member

Quite the journey you have had already Shn! Thanks for your sharing your experience, I can relate to the poem writing. Although, I have to admit I am not a big fan of them. Well, maybe because I'm not that good at writing them... Anyway, good luck with all your writing endeavors!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. dmgwriting

dmgwriting New Member

Hi there minstrel, thanks for your welcoming message. Wow, you have been writing for quite some time then! I'm glad to hear you've kept writing for this length of time, quite impressive. I would love to hear any of your stories sometime, and of course I wish you the best and take care. :)

Oscar Leigh and minstrel like this.
  6. M. Baldwin

M. Baldwin New Member

When I started really getting into reading at age seven, I think. I stopped playing with dolls around that time (got back into it later!) I just found a new way to make stories. I love story telling in any form.

Oscar Leigh and dmgwriting like this.