1. Tastycrisp

Tastycrisp New Member

Greetings, salutations and a quick question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tastycrisp, Jul 3, 2008.

Hi all!

I thought it would be polite to say hello especially as I am essentially here to see if any creative writing types can help with a project me and a friend are working on (C'mon! At least I'm honest about my intentions!?).

I could ramble on about it here but I have a feeling there is probably a much better area of this forum to discuss this project...could anyone suggest the best place for a topic about a creative writing project/site?

Hope I don't sound like I'm just charging on here and being cheeky but I really thought a forum for writers would be the best place to enlist some help and get some ideas from.

Thanks, I look forward to provoking some of your creative juices very soon!

Tastycrisp

2. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

Hia, um.... i suggest you wait tilll a mod posts about your question :D

3. Tastycrisp

Tastycrisp New Member

I shall do just that then. The last thing I want to do is tread on any toes or be thought of as a spammer.

I'm genuinely just looking for some input from people who love to write and enjoy flexing their typing muscles :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello TastyCrisp, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Sorry, but using this site to recruit members for any outside purpose is not permitted. But I hope you will find the site useful for its intended purpose, which is to facilitate writers in the exchange of techniques and encouragement to improve their writing skills.

Posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. Tastycrisp

Tastycrisp New Member

Thank you for the reply, I shall not attempt to recruit anyone and I shall indeed explore and get involved as much as I have time for on here.

Would it still be ok to bring together opinions of the users here to help better what I'm working on? I understand if not but it is really hard trying to create something unique for all ages / skill without the input of people similar to those who participate in this and similar forums.

If this is also not allowed then could you possibly point me towards other sites and / or people that could possibly help?

P.S. I doubt it matters but the project is not a commercial venture and is simply something being worked on in our spare time and is being worked on with the goal of getting people into creative writing and having fun.

6. edens garden

edens garden New Member

Well, you could certainly post anything you have already written in the Review room, i know many of our members would love to review your work and help you improve. I will keep an eye out for anything you post. Just be sure you give at least two good, solid reviews before posting your own work. If you need plot or character help there are places for that on here as well. Hope this helped, and good luck on your project!

~Eden

p.s. Just as a warning "OMG your story rocks my socks!" is not a valid review lol.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If what you want to show is a sample of writing, then yes, we have the Review Room for that purpose. If you're discussing a general approach or philosophy on a project, it's probably appropriate for the Lounge, or possibly one of the Writing Issues forums. If it's something else, it would depend on exactly what you want an opinion on. Sending people to another website to comment on it is probably not acceptable.

8. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Welcome to the forums.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how can anyone suggest anything, without knowing what the 'topic' is?... cog spelled out the rules, so i hope that answers your question... if you want private help with a site, you can email me...

anyway, welcome to the forums... hope you're here to participate and not just tout your own site... if so, you'll find this is the best place on the web for writers of all breeds, if you stick around and get to know us...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

10. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

11. Tastycrisp

Tastycrisp New Member

Thanks for all the welcome messages! I shall try and get stuck into doing some reviews as soon as I have some free time and I shall try my best to be as active as my free time allows.

And thank you Mammamaia, I shall email you when I have a moment but rest assured I am not here to promote a website or drive traffic somewhere else. I just wanted some opinions and suggestions on a project that unfourtunately is not linked to this forum, so seeming as this is not the place for such help I shall not say anything more or ask for any help here.

Once again thank you for the welcome and I look forward to enjoying this forum and its users

TC

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

glad to have you aboard, tasty!... looking forward to hearing from you... m

13. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

[​IMG]

14. assassins creed

assassins creed Banned

welcome to the forum tastycrisp.

I am sure you will get all the help and encouragement to advance your writing skills. You can discuss any topic (in good taste of course) here that will give you a better insight to what your project requires and bounce ideas off other members that will get your creative juices flowing.

15. The Dark Writer

The Dark Writer New Member

Welcome

16. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Hellomoto! Welcome, hope you enjoy yourself here! :)

17. Pix

Pix New Member

Within the unlimited potential of my own mind
    Hello Tasty! I'm sure you will find the help you need here.