Tags:
  1. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Westboro Baptist Church at it Again

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Edward G, Jan 12, 2011.

What the hell is the Westboro Baptist Church think it's up to?

They intend to protest a nine-year-old's funeral because she's Catholic? This kid was killed by a madman at a political rally in a parking lot for no reason other than that she was there and in the way of a bullet, and they intend to protest her funeral.

They better hope God never loved this little girl.

They're cowards. I'll put money down that they won't show up and protest. If they did protest that funeral, if they crossed that line, I think it would be the end of them, and they know it.

2. punk

punk Active Member

The Westboro Baptist Cult is my team of personal superheroes.

They dress up like bible-beating villains and perform disgusting acts of hatred under legitimate permission (the bible), trying their hardest to turn America into a Christian hating nation, or at least a thoughtful one.

I'm a Christian, but the bible has some major flaws that these fine men and women are exposing while (whilst?) singing "this little light of mine".

I hope they are arrested for harassment.

3. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributing Member Contributor

They will show up, and nothing will come of it. People already have made their judgments regarding these people; nothing they say or do will change anything.

The world is full of people with different versions of dealing with life. Theirs is is stark contrast to what most people believe but they are still entitled to their opinions. The first amendment cuts both ways.

4. punk

punk Active Member

The law isn't on their side in this case. Arizona legislature just rushed an emergency bill to ban protesting within 300 feet of a funeral 1 hour before and 1 hour after the service.

5. LordKyleOfEarth

Then they will protest at 301 feet, the news will cover it, and they will get the publicity they so badly want. The only effective counter measure is to completely ignore them.

6. punk

punk Active Member

They will do that, but at least it will be in vain. The important thing is that they aren't invading the privacy of the family during the service.

7. LordKyleOfEarth

The fact that we (and others) are discussing it means it isn't in vain. Everyone inside will know they are outside protesting. News agencies will remind them once they get home. The only way to deal with them is for everyone to ignore them, and that won't happen.

8. Edward G

Edward G Banned

So do assassinations.

9. Edward G

Edward G Banned

As for free speech: I will defend their right to vociferously protest this little girl being Catholic when I am allowed to scream "Bomb!" repeatedly in a crowded theater. Until that time, don't wave a free speech flag in my face, because free speech has never existed; It's a ruse.

The speech we allow as a society defines what kind of society we are. If we can't stop Westboro Baptist Church from angering an entire nation and dishonoring the memory of a nine-year-old girl who couldn't be more innocent simply because they want attention to their neurotic religious beliefs, then we are a very weak nation, a dishonorable nation.

Where the hell is King Henry the VIII Queen Mary I when you need him her!

10. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Gandhi once said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Yea, verily.

11. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Contributing Member

This is a fundraising exercise for WBC. They will protest, someone will do something, then because WBC is just a conglomeration of lawyers, they will sue. They will attempt to bleed dry anyone that crosses their path, it is how they pay the bills. It's just business, which is why they are indiscriminate in what they protest at. It is a business practice that should be outlawed.

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

They want the publicity.

13. Steerpike

Easily said, but there's really no way to outlaw it that would hold up. The AZ legislature can and has put them back a little ways from the funeral, but they can't pass a law stopping them being there entirely, and they can't pass a law disallowing an action if someone commits a tort. Rather, they could pass these but the courts would strike the laws down.

On the lawsuit angle, one thing the opposing side could do is have jury trials. I suspect most juries would rather give WBC a poke in the eye than a monetary award.

14. LordKyleOfEarth

That's in rather poor taste, given the situation surrounding the girl's death.

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

All WBC wants is to shock and anger people. The entire family is made up of lawyers, and their intent is usually to protest and provoke people to violence, so that if/when the WBC protestors are attacked, they can turn around and sue. I highly doubt they even believe what they're saying; it seems as though they're saying everything they do only to provoke and anger people. The best solution is to completely ignore them.

That 9 year old girl had more class, soul and character than any of those WBC hacks ever will.

16. Steerpike

That would be best, but I don't see it happening. Every time this group does something, they're all over the national media, discussed in internet forums, around watercoolers, in newspapers, etc.

17. Steerpike

Just because free speech isn't absolute doesn't mean there is no freedom there, and that free speech rights aren't implicated with WBC. Yelling bomb or fire in a crowded theater is actionable because of the immediate likelihood of death or serious injury that causes. The test in the law used to be 'clear and present danger,' though that's not the legal standard any more.

But the theater analogy is likely to produce an immediate harm and not as a result of any intervening criminal actions (which usually cut off the chain of causality). The government has long been able to restrict that sort of speech under the First Amendment.

The WBC situation is different. They've protested so many times without any serious incident in terms of physical harm that it is hard to argue that letting them protest presents the kind of danger seen in the crowded theater example. That special level of serious and immediate harm as a consequence of the speech is what allows the government to act, even though we have the First Amendment, and it simply isn't there in the WBC case.

18. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Way I see it if I want the freedom to protest about someone else's behaviour they have to have the right to protest about mine.

Tolerance isn't accepting the viewpoint you like or undestand, it is about learning to accept the ones you don't.

19. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete Member

The US Consitution would never allow that kind of justice to prevail, unfortunately. The Westboro people have lawyers in their ranks and they know the system too well for that to happen. Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris ... As far as atheism advocacy is concerned, WBC has them all beat. No contest. The Phelps Clan have already made stronger arguments for atheism than Christopher Hitchens could make if he survived his cancer and lived to be a thousand years old.

And "This Little Light of Mine" ... that's how you know Satan is personally involved.

20. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete Member

Remember that noble sentiment when WBC pickets the funeral of someone you love.

21. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

You assume I haven't had similar things happen in my life. Not wise when you are talking to someone you do not know on the internet.

22. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributing Member Contributor

I thoroughly enjoy the use of multi-quote. I find it to be quite efficient when adressing multiple posts.

1 person likes this.
  23. punk

punk Active Member

I doubt it is business. These guys have had multiple threats upon their family. A bomb went off just recently, putting Shelly's newborn at risk.

They also multiply like rabbits, have disowned many of their children, and put up with extremely unfair circumstances due to the people they've pissed off.

Yes, but they aren't providing a solid argument or legitimate condemnation of the girl or the parents; it's all just harassment. Harassment is much less effective when it's being beamed through a switchable TV screen and not shouted during prayer and mourning. I consider this less of a "who's right and who's wrong", but more of a "right to peace" issue. I think the family could care less about their religious beliefs right now, which is primarily what WBC attacks.

24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

But what can we do? If we try to limit them, people will scream that the government is limiting the First Amendment and lord knows some would have an absolute FIELD DAY over this.

The WBC has taken the amendment every American holds dear and is using it for their own advantage. There's no way we can stop them because legally, they haven't done anything wrong. Legally, what they're doing is no worse than me picketing that my old seventh grade English teacher is the Devil and should be removed from public service (she really was cruel, btw) and forced into permanent house arrest never to leave again.

Everything else, yes, the WBC is very cruel.

I concur, Elgaisma. I concur with what you said.

25. Steerpike

Looks like they called it off.