1. Snapshot084

Snapshot084 New Member

Western-ish World, That Isn't The Literal Wild West?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Snapshot084, Apr 19, 2014.

My first two books are set in a world that's western...flavored, I guess would be the right word? I originally decided on the setting because I wanted a world where someone could legitimately be gunned down in the street without having to deal with law enforcement coming down on them in force. But, I'm struggling with the conceptual elements of such a world. I don't know an awful lot about the actual, factual, literal Wild West, but there are so many things from the setting (mostly gleaned from media) that I want to use.

So, should I actually bite the bullet and research the minutiae (like, the canning industry and whatnot) or just gloss over those things? They aren't really relevant to the plot, if that helps.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If they aren't relevant, why include them? You'd just be padding your novel with what most readers would consider to be unnecessary information.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Research can be inspiring. I did a lot of research on things which didn't make up much of my novel story wise but that I wanted to be accurate about. For example, the story takes place on another planet but in the near future (centuries not millennia). I went with a more realistic interstellar travel option, no FTL travel, no suspended animation, no wormholes. That meant decades in flight involving multiple generations. It all takes place before the story, no more than a little backstory, but I still did a lot of research for realism.

If you're writing novels, I'd suggest at least some research. It's fairly easy with the Internet.

4. GingerCoffee

But the question is, what is meant by not relevant? It may not be important a cannery is in the story, but you still might want the details to be accurate.

5. thirdwind

Snapshot himself mentioned that the little details aren't necessary. Will talking about the canning industry actually do anything for the novel, or will it be like Melville talking about the whaling industry in Moby Dick?

6. GingerCoffee

But I didn't do my research with the idea I would write everything into the story. Rather I did it so when I wrote the story I understood the backstory.

7. thirdwind

I got the impression that Snapshot intends to include the information in the novel. I guess we'll have to wait for him to clarify.

8. Snapshot084

Snapshot084 New Member

I hadn't really intended to include a lot of it. There were just moments while writing. Like, "Wait. How did Frank get this liquor in the first place? Someone HAD to bottle this, somewhere." At the same time, I'm not really sure if that's just me being pedantic about my own work, or if that's a question someone else would ask and I should therefore have an answer for.

9. Snapshot084

Snapshot084 New Member

Probably the former, honestly. But additional opinions are always appreciated. I've had friends read through the first two books, and no one's ever asked exactly WHAT type of meat they're eating.

10. GingerCoffee

It sounds like you've answered your question. If you decide you need to know where the bottle came from, then look into it.

11. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

Remember that the Wild West is mainly a fictional setting, it'll help to know stuff about the actual, real American frontier but that might not present you with as much interest as the mythic, fictional version of it.

jannert likes this.
  12. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I'm usually on the pedantic side, and sometimes, if I haven't been, I've encountered a fatal flaw in the story's setting. However, the amount of realism you prefer matters as well, I think.

Is this fantasy? Is it akin to The Dark Tower with a Western feel, but it's a fantastical world nonetheless? Or does it happen in our world, but you give it Deadwood kind of a spin?

If it's fantasy, I think all you really need to worry about is cohesion. If you decide they'll have this or that technical advancement, you'll probably want to take into account what other facets of life it affects.

I personally love details. Not to be explained in long paragraphs but rather, little details that are present in the characters' "everyday" action. Believe it or not, readers notice this stuff, and if you've fumbled, it can gnaw at the credibility of your work. I still wouldn't lose sleep over it, but on the other hand research is fun -- and quick -- thanks to the internet.

13. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Just think of the themes of the Wild West. New beginnings, a clash of new and old culture, a place where one can escape the old ways, the stiff expectations of the old world and live out life as they so pleased. A place where it's a man/woman and his/her weapons as he/she rides on whatever mount/vehicle you choose, carving out his/her own place. A struggle to find a balance between civilization and freedom.

You can do a lot with that without putting it in 1800s American West. :D Have fun!

14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Both. That is, I'd suggest that you do at least a little more research than you think you need, but that you avoid inserting those details unless they're both interesting and plot-relevant.

15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It all depends on what you're looking for. Myself, my stories are set in the 'real' wild west, and I find the issues people actually grappled with MUCH more interesting and diverse than the standard shoot-em-up myth—which, quite frankly, is pretty boring when told over and over again.

Don't be afraid of research. I've always said it doesn't limit you, it frees you. Research turns up LOTS of ideas you've probably not thought of, that can be incorporated into your story. It makes your story richer, even if you're fictionalising reality.

Link the Writer likes this.