1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

WF's 10th Anniversary Writing Contest - The Results!

Discussion in '10th Anniversary Contest' started by Tenderiser, Jul 10, 2016.

[​IMG]

A big thank you to all 24 entrants! We had a LOT of fun reading your entries--all 76,630 words.

The standard was fantastic, and we were blown away by the sheer range of stories you came up with from such a broad and simple prompt. We had horror, romance, sci-fi, comedy, thriller, satire... you name it. We laughed, we cried (not just at the two week judging deadline), we gulped, and we blurted out, "Whoa, I didn't see that coming."

Judging was sometimes difficult and sometimes easy, but one thing we all agreed on was that more than three stories deserved recognition. In fact, ALL of them deserve recognition, and as a result we are offering critiques for any entry. You can either:
    • PM any of the judges (me, @Lifeline, @Steerpike, @Komposten and @Wreybies) for a private critique.
    • Post in the workshop, where at least one of the judges will post a critique. Other forum members will, as usual, be able to provide critiques as well.
    We will give you your score (out of 200) if you contact one of the judges, but we will not be posting these publicly and we ask you to keep them to yourselves--we don't want anybody obsessively comparing their scores to others!

We have each chosen a Judge's Choice story. These are our favourite stories outside of the top three. There is no monetary prize for these stories, but we hope it will put a smile on your face to know how much we enjoyed your story.

Finally, a big thank you to @Jeff Countryman, both for the idea of a supporter sponsored contest and for his contribution to the prize pool. It was only unfortunate timing that meant he wasn't a judge.

So without further ado...

[​IMG]
    First place, with a prize of $85.50, goes to...

This Is Probably What Hell is Like
    by @izzybot

A strong, engaging voice with moments of pure brilliance and an original take on a version of hell that isn't just demons poking red hot pokers up your arse for all eternity. We loved the imagery, the "nauseating descriptions", and the excellent writing. A well deserved winner!

[​IMG]

Second place, with a prize of $60, goes to...

I Won't Say I'm In Love by @A.M.P.

An excellent exploration of a 'bromance' but, more than that, a complex male relationship that we don't often see tackled (no pun intended for fellow British readers) in literature. We loved the strong characters and our hearts ached for Ryan. This fantastic story was only just beaten to the top spot.

[​IMG]

Third place, with a prize of $25.50, goes to...

Marion's Secret by @A man called Valance

It was the voice that got us again, described as "wonderful", "bright" and "fun". You kept us guessing until the end and the journey was very enjoyable indeed! Marion's Secret was just one mark away from the second place entry and a very worth third place winner.

---

Our Judge's Choices are...

Mapleberry by @doggiedude
    chosen by @Komposten, who says:
    Definitely my type of story. I love fantasy stories, unexpected events and unknown worlds. While the character development might not be the finest, the story still kept me hooked from beginning to end; laying on the couch, imagining the world and the creatures and environments it contained as the story progressed. The writing was solid and the flow was good.

Headcount by @zoupskim chosen by @Lifeline, who says:
    Of course 'Headcount'. I read military memoir by choice, and this story is right up my alley so to speak. It is mostly overlooked in other writings how important it is to get all your buddies back, there is a deep committment which is mostly absent in usual society. War (and sailing) are two instances where you depend on your mates with your life, that they protect your back and deal with anything which might threaten all. And this sense of being a part of many, where when one doesn't come back stabs you hard - as in a part of you is not there - is something which goes so deep you never think about it if you have never experienced it. I guess I miss this sense of belonging in civilian society, and I love the take of this story to show its importance.

She's My Ten by @Wayjor Frippery chosen by @Wreybies, who says:
    There were many great stories from which to chose and I was torn between this story and Headcount where, like Lifeline, I was in touch with the idea of the unquestioning commitment one must have to one's fellow troops - it's almost like a marriage - in order for the dynamic to work. What kept me with She's My Ten was the movement of the writing. I felt tossed on turbulent seas. I felt the scale of jubilation slide to dread and back up again, heady, disorienting, dizzying, all of it written with a steady show of wordsmithery. This piece was a very vulnerable permission to enter into a fellah's inner clockwork at a moment of intense intimacy. In that way, it was like an unexpected but very passionate kiss, and that's what sold me. I hope that's not too embarrassing for the writer of the piece.

Life, Death and the Big White Bull by @obsidian_cicatrix chosen by me, who says:
    Here's a story with the time-honoured traditions of British comedy; chaos at a funeral, ladies going into labour in inopportune moments, and large animals in inconvenient places. Life, Death and the Big White Bull was Steptoe and Son meets Carry On (with class). Anybody who knows me will tell you a comparison to Steptoe and Son is about as big a compliment as you can get!

Strong voice, full of dark humour, unpredictable and well-written. What more could I ask for? This will be going on my Kindle for future enjoyment.

Shi Bop by @Marsh chosen by @Steerpike, who says:
    Shi Bop kept me engaged throughout. I like the flow, the stream of consciosness, the certain slipstream aspect to portions of the entry. I was compelled to go back and read it a couple of times, which is a good thing. I enjoyed the imagery and the author's voice, and I like the subtle unifier provided by the title. Nicely done.

---

So thank you once again for all your entries. We hope you enjoyed writing them as much as we enjoyed reading them!

Oscar Leigh, Megalith, Daniel and 7 others like this.
  2. BruceA

BruceA Senior Member Supporter

PCongratulations @izzybot! And to @A.M.P. and @A man called Valance too, and all you special mentions too. brilliant contest! :)

3. Wayjor Frippery

Wayjor Frippery Contributing Member

Big cheers and smackeroos for @izzybot, @A.M.P. and @A man called Valance! Fine wins all round. :) And, as @BruceA said, well done to the special mentions (except for mine – only crawling gratitude there ;)).
    Not in the slightest. Thanks for your kind words, Wrey. :)

4. Brindy

Brindy Contributing Member Supporter

Yes, congratulations to the winning three, great writing from everyone.

5. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Congratulations to all the contestants and especially the winners. Anyone who knows me any way well will know that this past week has been absolute hell for me. One of my biggest triggers is the simple act of waiting, so I've been pumping out massive amounts of adrenaline, suspended between fight and flight for no good reason. I'm so glad it's over.

For the record, my favourite read was Mapleberry, although I agree with another poster who mentioned it could benefit from another edit, That is down to my own personal taste, and what I'm attracted to. There were so many good entries I was hard pressed to pick, so I'm sure the judges had their work cut out for them.

Finally.... a big thanks to Matwoolf for providing day long entertainment in the discussion thread yesterday. It helped take my mind of the feeling of foreboding. I needed that, ta! :D

6. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

Congrats all

7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

Well done guys, good to see that good people have won the contest. :cheerleader:

8. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

A lot of quality work to choose from here. Congratulations to the winners, the entrants and to the judges, who must have had their hands full! Well done. I think it shows the forum in a very good light.

9. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributing Member

Congrats. I posted mine for critique in the workshop, I hope several others do it. I'd be very interested to know what the judges thought of some of the entries in more detail.

10. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Active Member

Congrats to the three winners. Certainly well-deserved:)
    And a shout out to the judges for a job well done, having to read 24 quality stories with a critical eye and judge them all in time to meet the deadline is a whole lot of commitment.

It was great participating in the contest, even though I didn't win I still had a lot of fun writing my story and reading the other entries and following the discussion thread - though I didn't participate in it. A great experience all around.

Oh and if anyone's interested I'm gonna put my story in the workshop for critique - mine was 'Of A Sound Mind' - shortly, I welcome any and all critiques.

(EDIT: Just put my story up in the workshop, here's the link )

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  11. obsidian_cicatrix

Gosh, yes... Judges... thank you. :D

12. Brindy

Totally agree, they probably weren't expecting such a response and are probably very grateful we didn't all use the full word count allowed.

13. obsidian_cicatrix

Especially in my case...I can drone on some. ;)

14. Brindy

15. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

OMG!
    I won?

:cry:

Time to text everyone I know!

16. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

and yes i agree that the Judges should be thanked for their hard work.

personally also want to thank @obsidian_cicatrix as not only did she help me get mine as good as you see it here, but equally gave me the idea to use binary in some way with it :D

17. Viridian

Viridian Contributing Member Supporter

Congrats everyone and thank you judges. This was a great competition.

Hey, @A.M.P. - cool badge :superagree:

18. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Ooh, shiny! I believe that's the work of Mr Bies.

Now where's that bloody Izzybot? And Mr Valance? *taps foot*

19. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Aye, that they are. ;) Speaking of which.... I need to go back to the 2013 medals and update those to the newer, snazzier look.

20. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Congrats winners!
    And the judges deserve credit for all that reading and trying to choose!

21. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Congratulations to all of the winners, and thank you to everyone who entered. Thank you as well to my fellow judges. Nice work, everyone. The site should be proud of this.

22. izzybot

izzybot Human Disaster Contributor

I'm astonished! And late! What a lovely thing to come back home to :D There were some really amazing entries in this and I had a lot of fun reading everyone's - it'll be more fun rereading knowing who wrote them. I definitely thought that Life, Death and the Big White Bull or Corpse Demon Fly would take the gold.

23. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

Congratulations to all the winners and the runners up. Well done. Thank-you to the judges for all their time, effort and money in organizing and support this competition. We all owe you a favor now (if I ever meet any of you, the coffee's on me.)

24. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Active Member

Sorry I’m late to the party. Given the caliber of the entries, I’m thrilled and amazed to have made the top three. Words can’t express how proud I am to see that big shiny medal under my name. Small beer to some, I know, but it means an awful lot to me. Thank you.

Congratulations to @izzybot and @A.M.P.

Grateful thanks to @Komposten @Lifeline @Steerpike @Tenderiser @Wreybies @jannert, @Jeff Countryman , fellow entrants and anyone else that contributed to the competition’s success.

Special words for…

@BruceA for all the work he’s put into promoting this and other competitions, of late.

@matwoolf for an amazing crit-athon on the discussion thread this weekend, marred only by his assessment of Ten Years. ‘Bullshit’ he called it. I thought it was worse.

Last but not least: JJ Cocker (unknown in these parts) for her unswerving belief in me this past ten years.

Thank you

25. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I do have to admit here that while I was following the contest, I had nothing to do with it really. This was all organised and run by other people. I'm very pleased with the high quality of the entries, but none of the credit goes to me. :)

Congratulations to you, to the other winners and the honorable mentions. It was a productive contest. I think a lot of you have created publishable stories.