1. Zane

Zane Contributing Member

What´s Your "Muse"?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Zane, Jul 27, 2010.

What´s the things that usually inspire you to write?

For me it´s instrumental piano songs, mostly from Final Fantasy.
    I can´t write, or better yet, I can´t focus on anything without being listening to music.

Music just pumps up my emotions :cool:

And you?

2. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Contributing Member

Mine's usually anime. America could learn something from the Japanese animators. I like the drama-action kind of stuff. They have that Scrubs-esque quality that seems to flash between the funny and serious in a heartbeat. The stories are very complex, too.

Music helps too. When I'm brainstorming I enjoy some nonsensical Fall Out Boy. When the scene is soft, I like instrumentals like Vitamin String Quartet or Yiruma. Lyrics distract me if they have meaning. The exception is epic scenes, which I pair with a good ole' "Bohemian Rhapsody".

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't have a 'muse'... just a drive to write... inspiration for what i write comes from anything and everything...

as i'm a practicing philosopher, i keep up with what goes on in the world by checking the news on cnn and other venues many times a day... keep the tv on constantly, when something big is breaking...

in addition, my own long, rich lifetime experience, plus what i see, hear, read, remember, or imagine is all grist for my writing mill...

4. Lalis

Lalis New Member

Music helps me a lot, but it's usually books that do the trick. Whenever I finish a book, my writer's block goes poof!

5. LeFay

LeFay New Member

My muse is sweet, milky tea and some nice classical music (Mozart) or opera (Callas). :)

There's something deeper, too, like MammaMaia said, a drive to write. I need to express myself.

6. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

For me its the story itself. I live stories with my every breath, there always in my head. And I'm a intense person with loads of overflow feelings that I need to put into good use.

But a cup of lapsang tea always helps. And my friends are my muses, having friends who share your love of stories and talk about it means a world.

7. Shinn

Shinn Banned

My main "muse" is Queen; I am a huge Freddie Mercury fan :D

8. Zane

Zane Contributing Member

Nice. I also like a lot Queen. I love the song they have with David Bowie "Under Pressure" :D

9. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

My muse is the threat of my head exploding if I don't write stuff down.

10. Cynglen

Cynglen Senior Member

I've drawn inspiration from music, the bible, history, philosophy...hard to pin down something for sure. I do love to figure ways to craft stories around wise quotes or twisting common knowledge to a new perspective.

11. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

I have to chime in with what many others have said: reading a book or listening to music that's inspirational.

Also, taking a walk or otherwise becoming physically active tends to get the brain going.

12. constant scribbler

constant scribbler Member

My muse is dreams. I also write because of my characters. I create such strong characters that they drive the story and give the story a direction.

13. Imo

Imo Member

My muse thrives on rest, music, meditation, conversations, and sometimes also on shamelessly letting my catty side out to play when watching a particularly bad movie or TV series (in my opinion, of course). Finding the right words to deliver a scalding critique can jumpstart my brain into creativity.

14. thinking

thinking Member

My muses:

music, postsecret, found magazine (google it,) the webcomic A Softer World

All of those can get me in the mood to write. I go to them when I feel like I NEED to get motivated. Even pictures of people I know can help.

Any artwork or interaction I have an act as a muse, it's just more sporadic.

15. Delphinus

Delphinus Senior Member

Music, subtle interplays of light and shadow, psychology, philosophy, poetry, reading certain books (Existentialism is a Humanism is like a mind-stimulant for me. One read-through of it, normally lasting two or three hours, and I'm ready to write. But that method's a little costly on time to use too much, so I normally use sections from Beyond Good and Evil for a lesser, though still potent, effect.), certain substances, and going out and meeting people.

Anything, I suppose.

16. DaWalrus

DaWalrus Member

Memories. I'm working on a book which is loosely based on a certain part of my youth. Reliving those days again is what inspires me.

I could never say that I wanted to write, period. But have often felt like writing about something.

17. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Meditation and music are my main ones. Right now Level 42 running in the family, Satelite by Lena and Mika We are Golden are my main music muses.

18. nickbedford

nickbedford Member

One of my muses is... Muse.

But my main muse right now is the story itself and the fact that I'm finally writing.

19. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

This is my main reason for writing also, if I can't get the stories out I will explode and have a mental breakdown.

But really, anything will inspire me to write, I can take the simpliest thing and turn it into a work.

Also, I don't really use music to inspire me, I use it more to block the world out so I may write with little to no interruptions.

20. Sang Hee

Sang Hee Contributing Member

Whoa, I've also listened to some FF songs while writing. They really do help. But mostly I don't need much inspiration because I just create the characters and knowing them also tells me what they would do, they basically write themselves.
    But yeah, when I need a muse then I mostly rely on music to help.

21. daisydaisy

daisydaisy Member

I'm not sure that I really believe in 'muse'. Writing is a job like any other, and if you want to succeed then you have to sit on your bum and write, not sit around and wait for inspiration to strike.

That said, there are many things which inspire me whilst I'm writing. I can't write whilst listening to music, but listening to different types of music does inspire ideas and feelings, which in turn makes my writing richer. I'm also inspired by things that are going on around me, so I'll say that my 'muse', if there is such a thing, is life.

T x