1. StormWarrior

StormWarrior New Member

Novel What to do with vague ideas?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by StormWarrior, Mar 31, 2010.

I've had this idea in my head for ages, and I want to write it as a novel, just because I know I will really enjoy doing it. I know what the underlying theme is, what the story will be a metaphor for, and I know some people who would be great to base the characters on. But that's it really, I keep coming up with ideas for the actual plotline but none of them are right. I know what the "feeling" of the novel will be, I can feel the way I want the story to feel. But what do you do if the plotlines you come up with just aren't right? I've been thinking about this on and off for about 2 years and I really want to write it but the basic story just isn't happening the way I want it to.

I don't know how to turn the underlying theme into a story basically. Does anyone have any tips?

2. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Telling us what the theme is might help. ;)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A plot is not the same as a storyline. Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development? It may help when you understand how plot moves a story forward.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I write them down. I wait for the other parts to coalesce. A novel (or even a story) consists of many parts. They do not always come at the same time. I write things down in a file I keep for ideas that have yet to gel. When they come more solidly together, then I have the other pieces waiting instead of forgotten.

5. alexwebb

alexwebb Member

Try to get an opening chapter idea and see where it goes. The novel I recently finished started with 4 characters and an idea for the first chapter. It developed from there when I started to write.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

stop thinking and start writing!

you seem to be just thinking in circles and it's no surprise you're going nowhere... write out your basic premise for the book... distill it down to 25 words or less... then do up an outline of the parts you think you want to include in it...

after you've done all that, write what you have in your head for the opening paragraph...

just doing all that should get you in gear and help you develop it into a full plot...

7. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

I agree totally with mammamaia, just start writing! The story will start to unfold as you go that's the beauty about writing! :) Having said that I've told a few other people that creating a mind map is always useful, it gets the ideas flowing.
    Goodluck!

8. rainy

rainy New Member

Write what you've got, then go back and look at it from a new angle.

Pick the inevitably new characters, places, objects and events, and ask yourself:

What's the story here?
    Where did it come from?
    Why is it here now?
    Why did this happen?
    What does it have to do with the people/places/objects/events I already know in this story?

It's sure to expand and solidify.

Best luck,

//R

9. SeattleWriter

SeattleWriter New Member

My two cents...

I agree with mamma

One of the wisest pieces of advice that I have ever received about writing was quite simple. Stories develop out of writing, so write.

I have found this true. The current MS that I have been working out started with just the idea of a character that I wanted to explore so I just started writing. Next thing I know I have written 50,000 words and the story has evolved from itself. The simple action of pushing the keys on my laptop has lead me to keep going. When I hit a dead area, I take a step back and work on another project before coming back and picking up where I left off.

Simply put, you will never find a story or write one if you don't start. A novel only starts after writing the first word.