Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

What about the Green Party(of the U.S)?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by 123456789, May 14, 2016.

We spend so much time talking about the Democrats and the Republicans, my question to you all, and it's pretty open ended question- why aren't we talking about the Green Party? Let's look at their ten pillars (from Wikipedia)

1. Grassroots democracy
    2. Social justice
    3. Ecological wisdom
    4. Nonviolence
    5. Decentralization
    6. Community-based economics
    7. Feminism
    8. Respect for diversity
    9. Global responsibility
    10. Future focus
    Does anyone find any of those categories unappealing? (community based economics so far as I understand is basically the antithesis of corporations. Please correct me if wrong).

Here's what we have in 2016. We have two presumptive nonimees with remarkably high unfavorability ratings, and a large number of apathetic citizens suddenly interested in politics. So what do we do? I've been convinced by @Steerpike, @Myself, and someone off the forum, that the answer is to instead support a third party. Even if a party doesn't win the GE, getting a certain percentage of the vote has positive effects for the next campaign in the next election cycle (anyone more knowledgeable please feel free to clarify). If you don't like your choices on the left and right, maybe it's time to think outside the box. Thoughts?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I voted for Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala last time around. So, yes, I think their platform is good. Will vote for Jill again if Bernie isn't a choice.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  3. 123456789

What happens realistically if they get say ten percent of the popular vote this year? How does that potentially affect 2020?

4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

All you ever hear about is the Repubs and the Dems but there`s three other smaller major parties* (Green,libertarian,and Consitution.) That`s not even to mention the minor parties, but all we ever is red and blue. I registered as a democrat this year to vote for Sanders in are primaries but I identify much more with what the Green party stands for. Like Steer said if Sanders is not a option I will vote for Jill.

*Any party with an independent state organization in a majority of states is considered a major party.

5. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

I've said this before. Jill Stein is a force of nature (no pun intended). Put her up there with any politician, yes, even Bernie Samders, and she'll wipe the floor with them. She's more progressive than he is by a landslide.

I'm not American but it would be an honour to vote for Jill Stein. We've got our own Jill Steim up here; Elizabeth May. These two women are probably the strongest politicians to have ever existed. They don't get a lot of the vote, but they are the bane of corruption in politics.

Steerpike likes this.
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Explains a lot.

7. Acanthophis

Stellar contribution to the thread. Still salty that you haven't been able to turn me to the dark side of the force?

8. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I could never vote for Jill Stein. She is a woman. :ninja:

9. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Don't be dismissive. It's petty.

10. Steerpike

Can we play 20 questions to see if I can guess who is trolling the thread? I'll give up my first 19 guesses....

I don't require a prize, though if someone wants to buy me a bottle of scotch I'm not opposed...

123456789 likes this.
  11. Acanthophis

@Steerpike :p

---

Getting back to the original point of the thread, I think the only pillar I'm not 100% on board with is decentralizing. I'll have to read into it a bit more so I can understand it better.

12. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I happily have on ignore all people who, with the pretext of ruining the conversation or getting it shut down by a moderator, intentionally jump into threads created by people they always disagree with and argue for argument's sake. It's all breezy on this end of life. :whistle:

And I am considering Jill Stein, as well.

Steerpike likes this.
  13. Steerpike

Depends. It's a good idea for some things, not so good for others, and not something that can be imposed by the party for yet others :)

14. Steerpike

You are a wise woman indeed.

15. Steerpike

We have quite a good-sized group PM going re: Sanders, Stein, and related topics. Check your inbox for your invite.

16. No-Name Slob

@123456789 I think the Green Party isn't more popular because America rules under two party system, and the need to align oneself with the winning side is greater than the need to make actual change.

Will 2016 change that? We'll see in 2020. I'm not convinced at this point. I think it will take a long time to get there.

123456789 likes this.
  17. Steerpike

I don't know that it will change it, but it could force a change within the parties. On rare occasions, parties have been supplanted.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  18. Acanthophis

Consider this for a moment. Sanders loses this primary cycle and spends the next four years campaigning in favour of the Green Party. It'll go from being nothing to being something thought about by the general public. It probably wouldn't happen by 2020, but possibly 2024. I think it would be an interesting move on his part. The Green Party would receive his voters, which would put them in the threshold to receive public funding an attend debates.

123456789 likes this.
  19. 123456789

I can't for the life of me figure out why Bernie wouldn't be publicicizing the Green Party. Honestly, he should be doing it now.

20. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Sanders will be like 140 years old by 2024. :superlaugh:

21. No-Name Slob

That would be nice. He won't though, and I'm kinda pissed at him for it, to be honest. I mean, he's so passionate about these changes, but at the end of the day -- he too is operating within tired party-aligned boundaries. :wtf:

123456789 likes this.
  22. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributing Member Contributor

Looking through various comment sections around the Internet, I'm struck by the sheer number of people who are apathetic about the election to the point they won't bother voting, or who are settling for someone they consider a "lesser evil". They could find a third party candidate they actually like and vote for them, but they reject the possibility. "It's pointless" is the response I hear most often when they get asked why they don't consider it. And that ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are places the Libertarians or the Greens or some other third party might be able to capitalize on the current disaffection and get state or even national level offices, but that self-fulfilling prophecy--furthered by the media's refusal to even give the third parties the time of day--means they never manage to get anywhere. So the duopoly on our politics persists, and nothing ever truly changes.

Personally, I'm going Libertarian this year. The Republican race, and its ultimate result, were far too bonkers for my taste. But I'll tell anybody who is tired of the current political situation one thing: go vote for someone you feel good about standing behind. You won't see any desirable change if you sit at home or hold your nose and pick someone you dislike.

Acanthophis and 123456789 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.