What additional forums/sections would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, Dec 27, 2012.

?

What additional forums would you like to see?

1. Politics/Religion/Philosophy Lounge

30 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No Politics/Religion/Philosophy Lounge

31 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Freelance Writing Forum

35 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. No Freelance Writing Forum

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Blogging/Website Forum

36 vote(s)
    37.9%
  6. No Blogging/Website Forum

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Self-Publishing/POD forum

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. No Self-Publishing/POD forum

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  9. ePublishing forum

36 vote(s)
    37.9%
  10. No ePublishing forum

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  11. Style & Theme Development Forum

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  12. NO Style & Theme Development Forum

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  13. "By The Genre" Forum - discussion of writing for specific genres

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  14. NO "By The Genre" Forum - discussion of writing for specific genres

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  15. Tips/Advice/Accountability/Brainstorm forum (established members only)

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  16. NO Tips/Advice/Accountability/Brainstorm forum (established members only)

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  17. Publishing: Promotion/Marketing/Industry Analysis sub Forum

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  18. NO Publishing: Promotion/Marketing/Industry Analysis sub Forum

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  19. Publishing: Agent/Editor Subforum

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  20. NO Publishing: Agent/Editor Subforum

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  21. NaNoWriMo Forum

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  22. NO NaNoWriMo Forum

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  23. Writing Software/Tools forum

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  24. NO writing tools/software forum

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Exactly!

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Currently more people have voted against a political/philosophy forum than support it. That's not just people who are indifferent - they'd prefer we not have it. If that trend continues we probably won't add the forum. I must admit though, I'm a little disappointed - I love political and philosophy discussions. For me, discussions on these topics are just that - they're discussions, not arguments - and the purpose (for me anyway) is to understand the viewpoints of others and ultimately to seek truth. Unfortunately, not everyone will take that perspective.

This is a good idea, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I used to run a forum on politics, philosophy, religion, technology, and other topics. Unfortunately it died out because I didn't have the time to run it. I'm not completely opposed to starting a separate website or forum. The problem is that launching a new forum is difficult - forums are one of the most difficult types of websites to build a userbase for. If enough members here would participate, I would consider it, but you guys would have to actually want it. I have a few other projects that are in line - a libertarian political/activism website/forum and a website/forum on transhumanism/extropy/self-improvement. A debate forum as well might be too much for me to handle alone.

I went ahead and added the Entertainment subforum and the Western and Mystery Writing Workshop sections since the majority supports them. For self-publishing and epublishing, I may just add the option for thread prefixes in the publishing forum, rather than give them their own forum.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I know what you mean, Daniel. On the one hand, I'd love a politics and philosophy discussion forum because it is really interesting and fun to discuss. But I've seen how these can very easily get out of hand, because some people start taking it personally, or it degenerates into name-calling, and it can create bad feelings between members who otherwise could really help each other out, writing-wise, but would probably be unwilling to engage with each other after coming to blows in a political or religious discussion.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Based on the voting, it looks like only a handful of people would participate in such a forum, but you can count me in if you ever decide to start such a forum.

At the very least, I'd really like to see a subforum for philosophy. Most of the philosophical discussions I've had with members here have been through PMs, and it would be nice to have an actual place to discuss such things. Maybe we could try having a temporary philosophy subforum and see how things go.

5. chicagoliz

I don't see most 'philosophy' discussions being as problematic as many political or religious discussions.

6. thirdwind

You'd be surprised.

7. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Personally I'd like to see a forum dealing with e-pubbing in all its forms, simply because as an e-pubber myself I often have issues that come up and have to look for advice.

I'd also like to see a marketplace for writing services, but obviously heavily moderated. I'm not interested in scams and competitions obviously, but if members here are in to providing editing services, book covers, beta reading etc, that would be of interest. Perhaps those able to post could only be members with so many posts, and services etc in very specific areas.

And though I would enjoy sections on philosophy, religion, politics etc, I would say no. I think these matters are covered better on other fora, for example I'm on philosophy forum, and they would detract from the central thrust of this forum, i,e, writing. Also as Cogito says, they can and do get extremely contentious, and would need heavy moderation.

Cheers, Greg.

8. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I'd also be against a politics, religion and philosophy subforum. It's one thing having The Lounge and other off-topic interaction areas which will inevitably attract some debate on similar things, but having a dedicated subforum would be to invite unnecessary discord and arguments which would distract from the purpose of this site: to help people with their writing. I'm not against some discussion of politics, religion, etc, per se, though, so long as people can keep things civil and argue with reason without things descending to a personal slanging match.

In terms of other mooted additions, I'd only be properly against a self-publishing subforum. That's more down to personal preference, however. I'm a believer in the traditional routes of publishing, and I think that self-publishing is an easy way out that doesn't encourage a writer to improve and undermines the quality of writing elsewhere. However, that's entirely a personal conviction, rather than a particular reason why the forum shouldn't look at adding the subforum.

9. thedarkknight

thedarkknight Member

While I have strong political and religious beliefs, there are enough forums dedicated to those if someone wants to debate. It isn't worth the risk to add it to this forum. I don't see any good coming from it.

I found this forum by googling because I wanted to learn to write better. It functions very well for that purpose. Stick to your knitting.

10. Daniel

We won't be adding a political/religious/philosophy subforum, at least anytime soon. There has been some interest in setting up a separate website for this. How many of you would be interested in participating and perhaps helping launch it? I don't have the time to do it on my own, but if there's a demand for it, I have no problem setting up a site. It's also possible that user accounts between the two forums could be linked.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the poll. The feedback is helpful. I plan on adding some sort of regulated market listing, and possibly a freelance forum as well. Self-publishing and epublishing probably won't get their own subforum, but I will probably add them as thread prefixes within the publishing forum. If they get enough interest, I may set up the subforum eventually.

If anyone has any additional suggestions for improving the forums, I would love to hear them.

11. thirdwind

As I've mentioned before, I would be interested in a separate philosophy forum, and I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

For the market listings, I would suggest keeping out markets that require the writer to pay to submit, no matter how reputable/legit/well-known the market. I would also recommend keeping out non-paying markets.

12. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'd disagree with both of those. Why should a submission fee mean keeping that market out of the author's eye (like the Pulitzer)? There are also many respected literary magazines which are non-paying, yet give their authors a great deal of prestige. It should be the informed decision of the author whether to submit to those markets.

13. chicagoliz

Totally agree with Shadow here. A nonpaying market might be a great place to start, also. And there are many competitive journals that require a submission fee, because there is a cost to putting out the journal, running the contest, paying the winners, etc.

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I completely support all the proposed subforums. But I feel that politics/religion forum would need to allow free thought. No thought police who will use vague guidelines to shut up anyone they disagree with. No personal attacks, no trolling and overall respect for the forum rules are cool. But to delete posts and threads or repeatedly issue infractions just because someone was "sarcastic" would make the whole thing just a trap for punishment.

1 person likes this.
  15. chicagoliz

Ha! Well, it wouldn't be the first time ;-)

16. thirdwind

If I understand correctly, I think Daniel (or one of the mods) will be going through the markets to make sure they're legit. There are just way too many non-paying markets out there to sort through. I'm not against non-paying markets because there are a few good ones, but I would recommend starting with paying markets first.

I'm not against markets requiring a submission fee, either, since there are a lot of legit markets out there that do this. However, there are also a lot of scams. Again, I would recommend starting with markets that don't charge a fee and go from there.

By the way, I don't count the Pulitzer as a market. It's a prize for work that has already been published.

17. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

True, but it illustrated that simply charging a submission fee doesn't mean scam. There are many contests out there by university presses and literary journals which charge submission fees - that is a market.

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Investigating every such post is difficult at best. In my opinion, the effort required to allow the legitimate ones and keep the scumbags out is not worth the minimal benefit of allowing the few reputable ones.

This site used to allow submission offer posts that looked more or less reputable. The scams were far more numerous, and some were quite good at looking innocuous. It was a real problem.

19. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

I'd like to see an "Author" section. There's a "book" section where people can discuss books but what about a section that's devoted to authors where people can discuss their work, their style, etc. So let's say someone starts a Stephen King thread so all the Stephen King fans can get together and discuss everything Stephen King. There could be a thread for Nora Roberts, a thread for F. Scott Fitzgerald, a thread for Mitch Albom, etc.

20. Cogito

Book Discussion has many such threads. What, in your opinion, would be advantageous about creating a separate author-based forum?

21. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

I just figured that if there was a book forum than an author forum would be a natural complement. That being said, I haven't browsed the book forum too extensively yet (still relatively new here). If such threads already exist than no need I suppose.

22. Daniel

I've reopened this poll and added a few additional options for forums I'm considering adding in the future. Feel free to vote and share your feedback.

23. thirdwind

With all the political threads in the Lounge lately, I think it would be worth reconsidering adding a separate politics subforum. This would keep the Lounge free of all the debates, and I would imagine it would also make moderating such threads easier.

Thomas Kitchen and jazzabel like this.
  24. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree, and it would, and I agree. ;)

25. Cogito

If we must keep the political debate, at least quarantine it.

Thomas Kitchen and jazzabel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.