1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Do you prefer swimming in a lake, river, or ocean?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Jul 2, 2015.

Let's say given the same temperature and same amount of sun, would you rather swim in a lake, river, or ocean?

You have to think about all the elements of each one like you aren't going to get bit by a shark in a lake. The water in the ocean is going to be better, a stream you can just float down the river.

So what do you think?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

My family has had a cottage on a lake in eastern Ontario since before I was born. I grew up swimming in a lake. I'm used to it. I like it. It's my favorite. :agreed:

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It depends on location of course, but give me ocean. The chances of being bit by a shark are very low, although back home in Oregon I've seen signs that warn of great whites and tiger sharks. I just looked this up, and no one in Oregon has ever died of a shark attack, and only 25 people have been bitten since 1900. So yeah, ocean it is.

4. Lewdog

Personalty I'll only swim in clean lakes that overly green, which more than likely a man made lake. I don't like the river though tubing with buddies and beer can be fun. The ocean is awesome under the right circumstances, like no sharks, jelly fish, and crabs nipping at your toes. So I would say a man made lake but that is not much more than a swimming pond made from dirt :)

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Having spent the better part of my formative years in Florida, I have to say ocean. Florida rivers and lakes aren't of the kind one finds in the mountain states with smooth rock bottoms and crystal clear water. No. Most rivers and lakes in Florida are as dark and opaque as Cuban coffee and when it comes to the herpetological wildlife (reptiles), Florida is the Australia of the Western Hemisphere. :bigeek: Every snake is poisonous until proven otherwise, turtles can casually remove fingers and gators... well... 'nuff said. Gators. :dead:

Lyrical and Nicoel like this.
  6. Lewdog

You did show us that beautiful clear as glass cave/sinkhole.

7. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

In Canada the Atlantic is still too cold for me in the summer. I've never asked anyone about swimming in Vancouver. I don't understand how anyone could prefer to swim in a river, although one plus would be that lakes that have seagulls or are near sewage treatment facilities have bacteria that causes "the itch." Rivers would have flowing water, so I'd assume it'd be cleaner. But I'm a lake man. Sandbars all the way.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's in Alachua county. That river is spring-fed and gorgeous and spectacular and in no way is it representative of the rest of the bodies of water to be found further south. :-D

ETA: Hence, the good parts of that river are all private parks where you have to pay to have access. Every other river and lake is pretty much free because no thank you. ;)

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Have to be the ocean. Though the Mediterranean is a glorified big lake, I have had far too much fun on it's shores not to reveal in her glory for a bit. Particularly the Aegean coast of Rhodes, which has my undying love.

There is something just so very magical about swimming out into the pure green waters, seeing the fish below you dart away from your shadow. Then looking back at the arid rocky land of Greece where thick, light brown bramble grows beside towering lengths of sugar cane and the occasional olive tree. Swimming into the next rocky bay and finding a cave there, and climbing into it and feeling the cool, wet chill of darkness, but the warm bath-water sea flowing still around your legs. All this before returning to shore to sit in a sand-side taverna, order a coffee, and sit looking out over the same water Homer surely knew.

Or the other side, near the mysterious Pillars of Hercules. Which holds the French riviera. And the mouth of the Arno, the river that flows through Florence which I think is the greatest city in the world.

Or the shores of North Africa, bloodstained in antiquity - and sadly still bloodstained now.

It's a wonderful stretch of water. Please go there, and see it for yourself - I'm begging you.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If I can't see my feet, I ain't going in. That said, I'd rather swim in a lake because there's a 99% chance that it's only filled with fish. Not, y'know, gators, sharks, giant whales, etc.

11. Lewdog

Here in lakes you just have to worry about the poisonous snakes and the huge turtles with the hard snapping mouths. They aren't called snapping turtles for nothing.

12. jen_writer

jen_writer Member

I can't swim :( Hated swimming lessons as a child they chucked water over our heads. I used to be able to swim a tiny bit as a child but never really swam anywhere other than the pool

13. Link the Writer

<pales in horror>

I'm staying out of everything not a pool in which I can clearly see the bottom.

14. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

There's a good home for you at SeaWorld, Link.

Link the Writer likes this.
  15. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

First lakes, then rivers. Oceans are too big and scary.

16. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

I prefer a cee-ment pond, but I loved body surfing when I was in Hawaii, despite nearly drowning once at Sandy Beach.

Lemex likes this.
  17. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Body surfing is a LOT of fun.

18. Lewdog

I heard Tony Gonzalez talking on tv that he feel surfing ans got stuck and scratched up on coral.

19. Link the Writer

But I already live there, Brian! *jumps up into the air and splashes back down into his pool* :p

BrianIff likes this.
  20. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

No coral, but we used to body-surf Makapuu beach, and occasionally had a problem with small blue jellyfish, which had a hell of a sting.

21. Lewdog

zI can't find proof but I saw ot on Kelly and Micheal, New surfers are told if you are going to fall go but first, but Gonzalez went face first and got coral in his hand that had to br plucked out and major scratches on his forearms

You have to realize there are more than one island, and the one he was on that had the great surfing areas might have coral,

22. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

Oh, yeah, I'm sure there was coral around - I just never encountered any.

23. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Can I just pick a pool instead? Water scares me.

24. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

I've never swum in a lake before, although we do have some beautiful lakes over here in Serbia (and I'm considering spending my holiday around some of them this summer). The dark depths of lakes scare me a bit, but I'll definitely jump in on a first occasion. I also never swam in the ocean, but I did in the sea (couple of times in Aegean that @Lemex described so beautifully :) ) and it would be hard to decide between the sea and the river. I grew up on the river Sava which is pretty wide and peaceful in these parts, and there's just something about the ever-flowing water and its green shores and the unique smell of the river... But, on the other hand, there's this turquoise colour of the sea which is breath-taking and the sound of waves hitting the shore which I can't really compare to anything... Plus, the sense of freedom, the horizon... Maybe I'd vote for the sea because my country doesn't have one and I see it for 10 days a year at most, and it's always an adventure going there.
    Anyhow, I love to swim in all kinds of water. :)
    ETA: Except in pools. I hate pools.

Lemex likes this.
  25. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

10/10 would read again.

Hahahaha, you should be the host of, like, a travel documentary where you visit the homes of your favourite epic poets. :rofl: I would watch it.

Lemex likes this.