1. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

What are some books you recommend?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TerraIncognita, Jun 18, 2010.

I'm always up for suggestions on what books to look into reading next. Plus it cuts down a lot of time sifting through reviews on Barnesandnoble.com. ;) What are some books you recommend and why?

2. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

American gods.

Because it's really good. :)

3. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Neverwhere.

Because it's really good, and the author also wrote American Gods. :D

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

Maybe it's my fault for not knowing you better, but it would help if you gave us a reference point...what kind of books do you like? who is your favourite author? something like that...

5. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Well, it depends on whether she's looking for something to read that will surely enjoy or something that might open her horizons.

6. jeanne

jeanne New Member

It's she, not he.

to OP; may I suggest Let the Right One In, my all time favorite. It changed my world and is as good as any vampire book could ever be.

7. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Well, at least I didn't call her "it". :p

(I wonder if that's how Stephen King had the idea for his novel)

8. jeanne

jeanne New Member

Oops, my 'it' refered to pronoun, not her.

9. arron89

arron89 Banned

Still need to know what she likes/has read to know what would "open her horizons."

Anyway, I suppose I'll just offer my picks. Gulliver's Travels is a much maligned classic, and still one of the strongest pieces of satire in existence. The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway is almost single-handedly responsible for Modern Literature, as well as being an obvious source of inspiration to a huge number of this generation's most admired writers. Nabokov's Lolita is probably the most beautifully written book in existence, despite its content. The English language has never, in my experience, been so masterfully manipulated (save, perhaps, by Beckett, but he's a little too avant-garde to throw out in a casual list like this). As far as more contemporary writers go, the entire oeuvres of Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Pahlaniuk, Ian McEwan and both Haruki and Ryu Murakami make excellent reading. And finally, in case you're fond of hunting for uncommon books, the works of Elfriede Jelinek and Yukio Mishima are some of the most perfect books I've ever encountered, and well worth the effort/expense of tracking them down.

10. TerraIncognita

Wow I'm gone for one day and people are calling me "it". :p

I'm pretty much all over the place with what I read. If it's well written, opens my mind, or inspires me I'll read it. I have books from nearly every genre. So type is irrelevant to me. How well it is written, however, is not irrelevant. ;)

Also thanks for the suggestions guys I will be looking into all of those. :)

11. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Well, I do a lot of reading in the YA genre because that's what holds my attention most of the time (not all the time; I do read adult books too lol), so from that genre here's what I'd recommend.

-The Underland Chronicles (Gregor the Overlander) by Suzanne Collins. It has an EXCELLENT story and it's very well constructed and gripping considering it was written for a younger audience. I enjoyed it more than Harry Potter.

-The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This one isn't YA but it is fantastically written and a beautiful story about books and the power they have. Highly recommended.

-A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. This one is definitely aimed for a younger audience, but the story is creative, original, and highly entertaining. The writing has a unique style. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

-The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy. Also not YA. This one is about a military school in the sixties. At first glance I didn't think I would enjoy it, but the characters were perfectly drawn and the writing was just gorgeous. The story kept me hooked all the way to the end.

12. Britt

Britt New Member

I love Neil Gaiman's writing, but fantasy isn't my dig. American Gods was alright though.It had a few peaks and valleys.

To the OP: How about Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham? It's 600 pages of tiny print, but I'm reading it too and we can get through it together!

13. KanenMaltac

KanenMaltac New Member

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin.

Extremely well written story, amazing plot, intriguing characters. He will change your view on the writing world.

14. Fedora

Fedora Active Member

This girl knows what she's talking about. OHB is fantastic.

15. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I totally recommend Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin. The characters were really well-rounded, and it's pretty good for a new author in the YA genre. It's being made into a movie in Japan, but I can't enjoy the awesome because the producers isn't planning on including English subtitles in the DVD franchise D:.

16. Switch

Switch Member

Anything by Darren Shan is fantastic! He does two series for teens, however he has a third for adults which has a magnificent plot, very well created characters, the perfect setting and an awesome balance between good and evil. I'd definitely recommend them.

17. TerraIncognita

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :D

18. Solipsism

Solipsism New Member

If you wish to go for some wonderful and most brilliant litterature you might want to try some of the following:

Jack London: White Fang, Call of the Wild and The Sea Wolf
    - Easy to read books, though they concern a wonderful primordial philosophy that might very well influence the readers views on life.

Still in the easy end, but concerning large political games and clever plots you can try out books like Dune and The Count of Monte Cristo

19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Fear and Loathing by Hunter S. Thomson.
    House of leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.
    V. by Thomas Pynchon.
    Johnny Got his Gun by Dulton Thumbo.

All amazing.

20. jacklondonsghost

This. Neglected to mention good old Jack in my recommendations.

21. TerraIncognita

I need to read the Count of Monte Christo. I have always wanted to but keep forgetting. *sigh* When money isn't so tight I will have to stock up on all these books! Thanks guys. :) I suppose I could just get them from the library but I like to hoard books I guess. ;)

22. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Not sure if this falls in your taste of books or if you have read it or not. But I am currently reading 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult and its amazing.

It tells the story about a school shooting in a smallish town. All the while going back in time that mostly focuses on two characters Josie, a girl who seems to have a perfect life, and the school shooter a troubled kid who was constantly being picked on and how their lives were intertwined while slowly showing how the shooter ended up well shooting. While in the present it shows the aftermath and trial of the shooter. Its told through a variety of characters from the Judge, the defense attorney, the detective, the shooters parents, and of course Josie and the Shooter.

Only about half way through, but I find it hard to put it down.(only reason I have this time is because I am supposed to be writing... lol)

23. TerraIncognita

Jodi Picoult isn't really my sort of writer. I don't like tragic things. I like lots of things but there has been too much tragedy in my own life to read about it too. :p

24. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    if you are into crazy humour, The Witches of Chiswick is fantastic.

25. jacklondonsghost

Actually this book was really fantastic, I'd recommend it too. I usually can't get through Jodi Piccoult, but this book I really enjoyed.