What are some books you recommend?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TerraIncognita, Jun 18, 2010.

1. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Hmmmm I may have to check it out then.

Yes, I love humor.

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Ah, well if you're looking for humor I'd recommend Nick Hornsby's High Fidelity--especially if you love music, and Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job. I haven't read Moore's book, but the boyfriend laughed out loud continuously while reading it and said it was hilarious beyond belief.

3. TerraIncognita

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

4. Aconite

Aconite New Member

The book I recommend in my profile: The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. The chapter on logic should be required reading in all schools at about sixth-grade level.

It's a fantastic book for anyone of any belief or none, because it helps you strengthen your beliefs, test the gaps, and find out where your ideals can coexist with practical reality.

You'll become a better writer if you read it, more so than anything else published in the last thirty years.

For a less serious recommendation: Anything by Carl Hiaasen is great fun. He's a marvelous storyteller with a wicked sense of humor and the ability to handle a plot, write tightly, and create characters that crackle with energy and life.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

(I've moved this over from the "What book did Hollywood ruin for you?" thread, since it was getting a bit off topic)

It's basically where Paolini got his idea for the dragons. It's about a world called Pern, where Dragons are bred (and riders trained) to defend against an organism called "thread" which falls from the sky and devours organic material. At the time the novel starts, none has fallen for hundreds of years, the dragonriders have declined, and it's difficult to get anyone to believe that thread is coming back.

It's actually a blend of fantasy and sci-fi (McCaffrey is a highly respected sci-fi author). It starts off as fantasy, and I suppose it is mostly, but it's through a sci-fi writer's eyes, and everything has an explanation. There's no magic acting as a crutch. But the overt sci-fi doesn't come in until the later books really.

6. beccaisane

beccaisane New Member

I just got through with If I Stay by Gayle Forman. It's a YA book, but I thought it was wonderful while I was reading it. I cried several times. :rolleyes:

Some common books I loved and read recently: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien...

7. beccaisane

beccaisane New Member

Missed this post... Strike my If I Stay suggestion :p

8. TerraIncognita

haha that's okay. Thanks for the suggestions though. :)

9. Zcreative

Zcreative New Member

I just read two novels by Debra Ginsberg:

The Grift

and

Blind Submission

I loved them, they kept me interested throughout and I really enjoy the way she writes!! I totally recommend them. Btw, they're general fiction.

10. TerraIncognita

Thanks! :)