1. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

What are the 3 most important skills any writer must have?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by HellOnEarth, Apr 8, 2007.

Also, name three generally sound advice you oppose and explain why.

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

1. Imagination
    2. Determination
    3. A second source of income. =P
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And for your second question:

1. "Always feel good about yourself." Erm, sorry, that's retarded. But so is always feeling bad, so change it to: "Always be realistic."

2. "Don't talk back." Synonyms: Don't question things. Don't learn. Don't grow.

3. "Reward kids for being disruptive." While this may seem to conflict my earlier statement, there is a very large line between learning new things, and being an irresponsible butthead. Watch yourself. It may be a big line, but pretty much everyone already has the running start to cross it.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

don't know that any of those are 'skills' ivan... but for sure, they're all needed, regardless of what they are...

i'd have to say, if you want 'skills' only, they should be:

1. writing
    2. editing
    3. selling/promoting

to distill it down further, 1. should include:

1. grammar
    2. vocabulary
    3. reading

as for 'writing advice' i abhor:

1. 'don't worry about grammar/spelling/punctuation, just write down whatever comes out'

...why should be obvious... a marketable writer should be able to write well, period, from the get-go... and should thus have those skills available for use on an ongoing basis, not just to pull out and apply after the fact...

4. Handguns For Hearts

Handguns For Hearts Member

1. Passion
    2. Imagination
    3. Self respect

----

1. "Give them what they want." Ahem, no. Write for yourself and do what you will with what you write.

2. "Have a plan." The way I see it, just stay free. Let your words plan themselves.

3. "Respect your elders." Okay, I agree to this at some point, but respect should be shared. It shouldn't be demanded. Give and receive.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

When it is limited to "skills" that removes some things a writer should have, such as imagination.

1. Command of the English Language--or the language of choice (including grammar)
    2. Ability tell a story (kind of like someone who can tell a good joke...the exact same words can be there, but if the timing is off or improper inflections or facial expressions are used, the joke doesn't work. Same for a story, timing, ability to build suspense, things like that)
    3. The ability to connect and promote, whether through a cover letter, face-to-face, or anywhere in between.

Terry

6. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

1. Show don't tell
    2. Less is more
    3. Be patient, determined, and never give up.