1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

What are the benefits of acquiring certificate in writing?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Nov 29, 2016.

I am thinking of going back to get a certificate in creative writing as I completed three programs years ago. I left to go to school for something else that offered more money but it is entirely different than writing. I already explained to my family and my cubs that I will pursue writing in my own time since they feel it is a little silly.

Do you think it will be beneficial in some ways to get a certificate? I would really love to accomplish that alone but other than that, do you think writers with a certificate will look good to agents?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Not to agents, no. But it sounds like you should do it anyway, for yourself. :)

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think getting a certificate is great, but what really counts is what happens to your writing as you are pursuing the certificate and as a result of what you learn. This certificate is going to require you to read and write. Sure, we can all do those things on our own, but it's nice to be given some feedback and direction. Plus, signing up to get a certificate means sticking it out for a while. If what you want to do is write, putting in time and dedication is important. If getting a certificate will help you better do that, then go for the certificate. It's always going to be the writing that counts, but there is something to be said about a writer who demonstrates they have taken the craft seriously and more often than not it shows in the work.

SethLoki and Alex R. Encomienda like this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree with the others - if you learn something valuable in the process, it'd be valuable, but if you're just looking for the certification itself? Waste of time and money.

5. terobi

terobi Senior Member

Most things you can learn in a writing class, you can learn just as easily by yourself for free.

Here's an entire writing course from Brandon Sanderson, for example, and here's another.

The main thing you gain from such a course is not the qualification itself (which is broadly meaningless unless your goal is to teach writing to other people), but the contacts, the mentoring and the peer evaluation - all of which it's possible to get by other, cheaper means.

Tenderiser likes this.
  6. antlad

antlad Banned

A certificate is great for your resume. It will help you get a job over others in some fields.

I used to paint a lot. One day a museum acquired a painting I had done. I got no money or fame from it, but I put it on my resume. I actually got hired over others because of that.
    I did something, the others did not. It helps in more ways than you think.

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.