1. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

Newer Publishing Companies Give More Creative Freedom....True?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by GoldenFeather, Aug 10, 2012.

I'm not sure if this is a common misconception...but I plan to send out manuscripts of my novel soon. I have this idea in my head that the newer, younger publishing companies will give more creative freedom and not be so harsh about the specifics (cover, title etc).

From those who have had experiences with more than one publishing house, is this true?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

A newer publishing company without experience or a track record can be a mistake.

If the publisher doesn't know what they're doing, will they be able to do right by your novel? After a year, will they fold up shop? Will their editing, cover art and design, obtaining reviews and marketing, among other things be up to standard?

Getting in with a new publisher that takes off would be a good thing. But as I've watched over the past few years, I've seen a lot of new publishers flounder and fold, often to the dismay of their authors.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Agree with ^. The other thing is - do you really want a publisher who's more 'lenient', or one who is going to want your book to be the very best it can be?

4. marktx

marktx New Member

My hunch is that this is a quandary few first time writers will face. Publishing is an intensely competitive business buried under slush piles of manuscripts. Even getting the attention of an agent is a real challenge.

But if you do find yourself in the rare and enviable position of being courted by more than one publishing house, the better question to ask is probably: Which publisher is better equipped to market the kind of book I've written? Which publisher has had the best success selling books of this type? Making this judgment requires that they have track records that can be examined, which argues against publishers who just hung out a shingle last week.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree with all the 'awful truth' noted above, sorry to say...

you'd be better off trying fairly well-established small, indie niche presses... they are more open to unagented submissions and not as hidebound about all the rest, as the big guys are...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The publishing industry isn't just about physically cranking out books. They have to market the product (your book) in tight competition with established publishers with distribution networks and working relationships with high volume retailers.

The new publishers will do what they can to attract writers, but the fact is that they themselves aren't established either, so thy can't give your book as good a shot at success as a major, well-established publishing company.

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Nothing personal, but I'd much rather have the publisher coming up with a professionally designed cover meant to increase sales, rather than one that said, "Sure, go for it." That doesn't really sound like a way to advance the career as much as get the author to sign on the bottom line. JMO

8. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Mom's right on this on. The Writer's Market? I think is the name of a thick book published each year, which lists agents, publishers, etc. It tell you which companies will accept unagented works, which agent's are looking for clients, etc.

However, the very best thing to do is to do your homework. Find out what agents, etc are looking for. Then give them what they want.