1. Siegfried

Siegfried New Member

Hmm... A question.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Siegfried, Jul 18, 2008.

What is it I can't post my first chapter which is over 3000 words? You can't cut back on length. Come on surely we can come to some agreement. 3000 words limit for a post is kinda unfair. Shouldn't it instead be no limit as a writer can sometimes write so much.

I'd prefer not to save a chapter separately from my story on word. Since I like keeping it all together. :confused:

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

You can always post the rest as a reply to the post. It is what other members have done in the past. Raven was one to do that on many occasions actually.

I like the limit of 3000 words.

3. Siegfried

Siegfried New Member

it's just adjustment I guess, but old site I was on which I left for a number of reasons. Had no limit on what size posts were. I liked how they had that, since I tend to have very large chapters. But maybe something worth considering no limit on size of posts.

Just a thought, but thanks never thought of that.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

You are welcome. Maybe you could pm the mods about it. They'd be the best people to talk to about it with really.

5. Siegfried

Siegfried New Member

I'll do that, thanks. This is a great site and see huge potential. Keep it up. Very friendly and forward. Not as snazzy as old site, but how long has this site existed?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The limit is a character limit, not a word limit, and it has to do with the way the posts are stored.

I suppose the site owner could change the limit, but I think that would be counterproductive.

The Review Room is a workshop for improving writing, not a refrigerator door for displaying writing. As such, excessively long excerpts result in fewer and moire superficial reviews. The writer posting work there for analysis should select the size of the excerpt most suitable for effective reviewing. Once the "peephole" elements of SPAG, dialogue, sentence structure, etc have been addressed, it may be appropriate to post a full short story to address overall plot structure and character development, but most of that can usually be gleaned fronm a shorter extracr.

For a novel, that consideration still does not apply, because posting a full novel for consideration is strongly discouraged.

If your extract is longer than what will fit in a single post, then split it over a couple consecutive posts. Splitting it won't affect the reviewing, only the overall length will.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I think the reason there is a word limit is because this site is for help with your work, like sections of it, not people reviewing your entire 100000 words novel, people just aren't interested in reading that much.

I think that a few thoasand charectors is plenty, as you can post so much of your expect, like the part you are not too sure about, and apply the suggestions to the rest of your work, as much of it will be similar.