What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

To be honest, I read this often and in such quantity because I had to. And I had to learn how to. I don't know what they are like in the US, but undergraduate degrees are very intense here. One semester we were reading three novels a week, for 4 months.

I'm not sure I could do that again, and do the extra reading needed at advanced level. But, it got reading anywhere I could. I even would walk everywhere on Skyrim and while my character was on the move I would be reading. Or reading when walking, which is a useful skill for me.

If you ever need help, just me a PM or something. Literature is my profession, as well as my passion.

2. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

To be fair, I'm only in my second year, and I'm still working through some requisite courses that aren't related to English, but I'm suspecting that the US might be softer. Or, at least, Texas might be. Each state has their different blend of courses/standards/what-have-you. For instance, I had a World Literature course (roughly 4 months) and we only read 5 works.

I think America is telling my to be a better American and pull my literary self up by my own bootstraps. <insert emoticon>

Thanks, yo.

PS: Nice multi-tasking. I require sincere concentration to read mildly complicated works. As example, for Camus' essays, I read that shit like a turtle.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

A teenage mutant ninja turtle? Because they don't seem to concentrate much at all. :D

4. Lemex

Here's the thing. To me, that is a very odd system. You also have degrees that allow you to do other subjects, right? Here degrees are specialized. If you do an English degree, only modules within the English spectrum are available to you, so stuff like Drama, Creative Writing, Poetry, Philosophy, little bit of history, Linguistics and Literature are the only things you'll be doing.

Madness.

I'll send you a PM about this.

I actually really like reading philosophy while out hiking, because - I don't know why, being out in the open air and moving my legs really helps me concentrate and work through more complex ideas. It might be a good idea to learn how to walk and read just for this, but I've always been good at multi-tasking. I don't know why.

5. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

It certainly is, but you really have to be able to get past your expectations of what you think Rowling book is going to be. There is no magic, no big bad and no war, yet still is still wrought by conflict. The reason I think it's great is because the characters are all incredibly well written, distinct, interesting and realistic (in a way that makes me stop up every page or so to admire the awesomeness of it all at the same time (and partly to try to decipher all her digressions, but in a good way)), and the same goes for the setting, story, plot and writing. I highly recommend everyone to try it out and to not dismiss it before you've at least properly wrapped your head around it (granted, that'll probably take much longer than you'd think).

6. Lemex

Is it just me, or is it doing Rowling an injustice to assume she will always write something like Harry Potter? I know it's hard to help it, but still.

7. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

Well, that wasn't what I meant and nor did I ever assume she'd do that. All I was getting at is that Harry Potter is her only previous work and that, considering it's such a bestselling series and consists of seven books over the course of a decade, it's a reasonable expectation to have that it's going to vaguely be somewhere in the Harry Potter ballpark. This also goes far deeper than you'd think, and only people who have read the book will know what I'm getting at when it comes to how fundamental the difference between them actually is. I agree I might have hyped this up a bit too much, but only a fool would go to the extreme and make no generalisations based on creators' previous works, and since this is not a fools' forum, I decided to mention that they are starkly different so that people can enjoy it for what it is and so that people who merely want to read more Harry Potter-ish stuff get the message and try their luck somewhere they can actually find what they're looking for.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Lemex likes this.
  8. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Currently reading Robert W. Chambers' "The King in Yellow." Quite a trip finding out what the late 1880s thinks 1920 might look like (i.e. horse-drawn lawn mowers, a separate Black state, the ban of foreign Jews into the country).

9. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

I'm reading World Without End by Ken Follett, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth. I'm in awe of any author who can write such long novels and keep all the storylines on track.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Just finished reading the manga "All You Need is Kill" - that's the story the Hollywood film "Edge of Tomorrow" with Tom Cruise is based on. Seriously, the manga was SO MUCH BETTER! The art was amazing, and the story and character depth was beautiful. Stupid Hollywood screwed it all up. Thank goodness I watched the film first, cus otherwise I'd have been going WTF throughout.

And now I'm reading another manga called Bakuman, apparently about some kid who wants to be the greatest manga artist lol. Author and artist of Death Note teamed up to write a romantic comedy I think. Should be interesting :)

Reading all this in Chinese for practice, but at some point I think I need to go back to English. My mind feels a little slushy......

Pretty sure there're a number of English books I also wanted to read but I honestly don't remember right now... lol

11. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Senior Member

Getting into Don DeLillo now. I've just started 'Libra' but want to get out and pick up 'Underworld' since it's supposed to be his best. I also love Hemingway lately, (helps to simplify my own writing:)), so I'm going to start 'For Whom the Bell Tolls.'

Lemex likes this.
  12. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    Just ordered Sycamore Row by John Grisham and probably have my hopes set too high with A Time To Kill being one of my faves, but I can hardly wait for it to arrive! (yup, snail mail...I can't get into ebooks no matter how convenient)

13. Lemex

Fine choices! Both Delillo and Hemingway are amazing. :)

aikoaiko likes this.
  14. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Finally getting around to Unbroken. OMG -- I cannot put it down. It is just amazing.

15. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

Good thing it can't be overused.

16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm returning to the world of Inspector Pekkala by Same Eastland with The Beast in the Red Forest. Since I have the previous four Pekkala books on my Kindle (complete with hilarious notes courtesy of me), I felt like I needed to do it.

Lemex likes this.
  17. Lemex

Just finished Richard Marsh's The Beetle: A Mystery. What an odd little story! Imagine Dickens if he limited himself to 200 pages and had just sat through a load of psychological horror films. Also, the last part is so tongue-in-cheek Holmes parody it's at times even rather funny.

If that description interests you, I recommend you check it out! It's certainly an interesting book, I'm glad it's been rediscovered, even if I'm not quite sure I like it.

18. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Just finished reading The Miseducation of Cameron Post. It's been years since I read fiction regularly, so I'm glad to see that I can still do it pretty quickly.

19. hotshot

hotshot New Member

right now i am reading "the game of thrones by R.R. Martians

20. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. Poor Axel. xD I'm at the beginning where Liedenbrock is forcing Axel to work on the Icelandic translations and pretty much threatening him with harm by saying, "...And by St. Michael if you deceive me..." Poor Axel. It must suck having an interesting, eccentric uncle, doesn't it? :D

21. Wasp Nest

Wasp Nest New Member

I somehow managed to read both my Most Hated Book of 2014 (So Far) and The Worst Book of 2014 (Very Likely To Remain Unsurpassed) in quick succession.

I detested Zia Haider Rahman's In The Light Of What We Know. Without some of its disturbing misogyny I might have just found myself rolling my eyes out and appreciated the glimmers of great writing lost among its very plain core: two middle-aged bores have a 500-page conversation about the great ideas upon which dude friendships are founded. Unfortunately, the novel is extremely misogynistic, as opposed to a commentary on the phenomenon, so it shot straight to the top of my most disliked books.

The Truth About The Harry Québert has absolutely no redeeming qualities, unlike Rahman's opus. I felt myself getting progressively stupider as I was slogging through this mess. Do yourselves a favor: just... don't. If you think the prestigious French awards piled up on this dross mean it can't be that bad, here's NPR's review to convince you that yes, it totally can.

22. chicagoliz

I'm sad to read this, as I had, on a whim, picked this one up at Costco, after seeing it highly touted on amazon. Oh well.

23. Wasp Nest

Wasp Nest New Member

I have to confess I got my entertainment where I could, which just so happened to be in 1 star reviews in both French and English. My favorite: "OMG IT'S SO BAD!"

24. chicagoliz

Yes, sometimes there's nothing more fun than a truly scathing review.

25. Mason&TheSurgeOf69

Mason&TheSurgeOf69 New Member

Lost Nation - Jeffery Lent. Shamefully little-known but thus far outstanding. Man, this guy can write.