1. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sapphire, Jan 29, 2007.

This is where you can post the current book you are reading and maybe get ideas for future books to read.

I'm reading Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan.

2. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

The Cosmic Puppets - Philip K. Dick.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I am reading Empire by Orson Scott Card

Terry

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Shadow Puppets by Orson Scott Card, School's Out Forever by James Patterson, Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, Maskerade by Terry Pratchett, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, Stardust by Neil Gaiman, and Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.

Yeah.

5. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Wow...you read multiple books at one time? o_O I think that would be pretty difficult for me!

6. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Oooh, Schools Out Forever by James Patterson is really good! He is a fantastic author, one of my favs!

I read a few books at the same time sometime.. does that make sense??

But at the moment I am currently reading the second book in the Dark Heaven's Series called Red Pheonix. Halfway through, really good.The first one was great too. The book/s are written by Kylie Chan.

Also check out The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. They ere excellent too. I never get sick of reading them.

7. Robert

Robert Banned

I'm supposed to be reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks, but I keep interrupting it to read from Forty Stories by Donald Barthelme. I love Barthelme's stuff, the guy had great imagination.

Cheers,
    Rob

8. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'm reading Stephen Clarke's Talk to the Snail, a satire of the French. It follows a well-trodden path but amuses nevertheless.

9. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

I just purchased Thor by...

And another one Called Scam by James Byron Huggins that is about...uh...

10. JenniferEva

JenniferEva Member

Killing Yourself to Live, Chuck Klosterman :cool:

11. Beths

Beths New Member

:)

I'm reading "Brimstone", by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. It's great! I never thought I would enjoy the story of an FBI agent and a cop working out a case so much! And the main character, Agent Pendergast, or the new Holmes, is simply charming :)

12. elfdragonlord

elfdragonlord New Member

I'm reading Lord of the Rings (again!). This is the third time I have attempted reading it - and this time I'm gonna read all of it.

Previous attempts involved reading the first half of Fellowship (pathetic attempt that, during my teenage years) and the second time I read all of Fellowship, most of Two Towers and a teeny tiny bit of Return of the King. Basically, I concentrated mainly on Frodo, Sam and the Ring last time (and stopped reading once Sauron was defeated)

I've seen the films of course - at least twice.

This time I'm reading all of it, from start to finish. I've just started Return of the King.

13. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I read all the books in 6th grade, and have not yet seen the movie. It gives me that strange sense of pride and unadulterated snobbery that occurs in any bookworm when someone states "I've seen the move- that counts, right?"
    But as far as I know, the LotR movies are really accurate, and at least you've tried...so I can't really be snobby at you.
    Way to go. You took away my chance to be a jerk.
    Jerk.
    *sniffles*

Alright, I'm just kidding.
    Okay, so now I'm also reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Good stuff.

14. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion New Member

Im reading Freedom Writers......There is not just one author but many.... The book is composed of dairy entries of 150 highschool students who lived in Long beach, California during the Rodney King riots. They recently made a movie about it called Freedom Writers and I have also seen that and I will recommend seeing it. I LOVED IT!!! It's very powerful and it lets you know that anyone can change and that it only takes yourself to do it.

15. Frost

Frost Active Member

At the moment nothing, but I was reading Jeffery Deaver's Twisted before that.

16. Blue

Blue New Member

What I am reading

At the momment I am drawing close to the end of the first of the first book in the series 'THE DEATH GATE CYCLE'. The first being 'DRAGON WING'.

The Authors of the book are Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

I thought instead of just saying the name of a book... it would be more interesting to write out the blurb to give us some idea of what it is about and if its up our creek before we go in search of a good book :cool:

BLURB:

THE DEATH GATE CYLE:

Ages ago, sorcerers of unmatched power sundered a world into four realms - Sky, fire, and water-then vanished. Over time, magicians learned to work spells only in their own realms and forgot the others. Now only the few who have survived the Labyrinth and crossed the Death Gate know of the presence of all foure realms-and even they have yet to unravel the mysteries of their severed world...

DRAGON WING:

In Arianus, Realm of Sky, humans, elves, and dwarves battle control of precious water-traversing a world of airborne islands on currents of elven magic and the backs of mammoth dragons. But soon great magical forces will begin to rend the fabric of this delicate land. An assasin will be hired to kill a royal prince-by the king himself. A dwarf will challenge the beliefs of his people-and lead them into rebellion. And a sinister wizard will enact his plan to rule Arianus-a play that may be felt far beyond the realm of sky and into the deathgate itself.

Overall 9/10

17. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'm now reading Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. An unconventional short ghost story that concentrates on the pyschological rather than the actual. It's alright.

18. Myst

Myst Active Member

Robert Rankin's "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies Of The Apocalypse". It's quirky and I like it.

Hey, by the way, what is Neil Gaiman's style of writing like? (directed to Crazy Ivan)

19. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Well, he likes to do fantasy. Lots and lots of fantasy. Most of the time he likes to throw magic into a modern setting and watch what happens.
    He has a few kids books (all fantasy), one of which (Stardust) is a real fairy tale that is absolutely fantastic, balancing magic and adventure with sensibility, and his other main one, Coraline, is one of those magic-in-a-modern-world things. Both are being currently made into movies.

American Gods, Anansi Boys, and Good Omens- his three main novels for adults- are all fantastic reads, following the modern magic theme. American Gods is a large, sweeping, adventure that would definitely contend for The Great American Novel- if only Neil wasn't British- while Anansi Boys and Good Omens are both blackly hilarious exciting reads.

Yeah, I sound more like a travel brochure than a helpful explanation, but I'll narrow it down to one sentence to sum up the whole thing: Neil's work is a dark, fantastical romp through the imagination that any fantasy lover should read.

Oh, and I'm now reading Pendragon: Merchant of Death by D.J. Machale.

20. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Predator: Forever Midnight - John Shirley.

21. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

The book I am reading now is....

I am reading Kushiels chosen. It is a 3 book series and this is the second book. It is a fantasy series by Jacqueline Carey. A bit slow going but worth it.

22. Myst

Myst Active Member

You made me buy Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere".

The Pendragon books aren't particularly spectacular, but have ideas in them that make me go, "Dang, I wish I had thought of that."

23. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell ~ David Michaels.

24. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

That book has a very interesting premise.

I'm reading Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce.

25. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm currently re-reading "Dead Beat" by Jim Butcher.