1. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

What are your favorite writing resources?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by funkybassmannick, Jan 16, 2012.

I think it would be a great idea to share what makes us better writers. Please keep it all geared toward bettering oneself as a writer. Also, please explain WHY you find it useful.

Examples:

-Books
    -Interviews (from famous authors, etc.)
    -Podcasts
    -Blogs/Vlogs
    -Youtube videos
    -Websites
    -Etc.

Please share!

2. funkybassmannick

Let me begin.

This is a podcast I find extremely useful. They are all bestselling authors in various genres, and talk about a variety of topics. The best part is they keep it short and sweet at about 15 minutes a podcast:
    www.writingexcuses.com (you can also find them in iTunes under "Writing Excuses")

Larry Brooks is a bestselling author that really knows how to explain plot structure. I follow his blog, but this particular series linked below is a gold mine:
    http://storyfix.com/story-structure-series-1-introducing-the-four-parts-of-story

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Word (for obvious reasons ;) )
    Backup software (in case the computer would crash) plus a usb flash drive too, just in case.
    Google, both normal, pics and maps, for all kind of research, mostly the micro-research. Especially the street view on google maps, which I use A LOT to get a better feel for the places where my stories take place.

that is what I can come up with right now.

4. joanna

joanna Active Member

I like to peruse the writing resources section of bookstores, but I have two all-time favorites. My first is The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlante. She outlines all the things that can make or break your writing, and provides colorful examples. The short stories at the end of each chapter are especially helpful and entertaining. My second favorite is On Writing by Stephen King, because he tells it like it is and does so with wit and clarity.

I also love Google's street view maps.

And then, of course, there's this forum.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

The best book on writing I've ever read, and I've read a lot of them, is The Art of Fiction by John Gardner. He has another one, called On Becoming a Novelist that is almost as good.

Most of the other books, including King's, teach you to paint by numbers. Gardner wants to help you become a real artist. He is powerful, demanding, and uncompromising, but he's also inspiring - much more so than King.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the only how-tos i make use of ar syd field's 'workbook' and dave trottier's 'screenwriter's bible'

for prose and poetry i use only the standards:

dictionary
    thesaurus
    a good punctuation guide
    a rhyming dictionary
    strunk & white

in addition to the actual books, i keep the best online versions of all but the s/w in my 'favorites' for quick reference

and of course ms word, the lingua franca of the writing world, along with a flash drive backup...

my reasons should be obvious...

7. cari_za

cari_za Member

I really loved "Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time" by Jordan E. Rosenfeld. It answered a lot of questions I never knew I had.

And then I read through a few Write great fiction books, but the one I enjoyed the most was "Plot and structure" by James Scott Bell.

Other than that I just google and these days I read through threads on this forum. I've picked up a lot of little tips on here.

8. akexodia

akexodia Member

It's mostly internet. (Thesaurus.com is a great help everytime.) For writing purpose (as in, jotting down the drafts of the story) it's Ms Word. But lately i tried this writing software called yWriter. It's a great find!

9. Immy

Immy Member

I love to listen to a song while I write, or before I write. I find songs inspiring, especially when I can imagine them playing in the background in one of my scenes.

10. funkybassmannick

I like to read blogs about grammar, because it's like a grammar tip every day. These are my favorite:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ is a blog called "Grammar Girl." She's a grammar genius who writes great tips. She writes for everybody - not just seasoned writers - so some of her tips are a little

www.dailywritingtips.com is a website for more seasoned writers. It has a lot of useful tips on grammar, but also will give ones for general writing and useful tidbits of knowledge.

11. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

One that gave me the confidence to start was "How not to write a Novel" i'm in work so cant remember the author but its on amazon and it has a gun and a kitten on the cover.