1. finchgeam

finchgeam Member

What are your main influences

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by finchgeam, Dec 29, 2010.

What are some of the writers you either borrow from or use some of the same writing style.

My poems are influenced by Edgar Allan Poe, like my poem Outfoxed, I thought of a delightful British 18th century sounding voice in my head while I was writing it.
    My stories are influenced by writers like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sir Terry Pratchett.

I also get ideas from lines in movies or something in the background that is so unimportant that it can not be considered plagiarism. I have fun doing that.

so you tell me now?

2. Johnny English

Johnny English New Member

my stories are influenced by sex or weed)

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

In my subject matter, I'm influenced by classic science fiction and by certain byways of ancient history. In style, I think I'm most influenced by Robinson Jeffers (he was a poet, but his rhythms find their way into my prose), Joseph Conrad, and maybe Anthony Burgess. I'd like to think Rudyard Kipling is in there somewhere, but his influence on me is probably drowned out by Jeffers's.

4. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

I'm mainly influenced by the constant threat of insanity that hangs over my head, ready to strike if I don't spend 90% of my brainpower on daydreaming.

I don't so often try to copy someone specific. I more often find specifics that I don't want to copy. I.e. examples of things to avoid rather than things to imitate.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Not sure where my writing style comes from lol Possibly Jane Eyre, mixed with Lian Hearne and Alex Sanchez - I see influences from all three styles when I read. I am using Arthurian Legends and Lewis Carroll as the backdrop for one of my stories.

My main plot influences tend to come from TV influences from the 80s like Dr Who, My Little Pony, Care Bears, He-Man.

Music plays a part as well - have based a whole plot around a song title or lyric.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

I would have to say:

Roger Zelazny, Steven Brust, Stephen R. Donaldson, Edgar Allan Poe, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Tom Clancy.

7. Marcelo

Marcelo Contributing Member

In my case it's Neil Gaiman, Tim Burton, Mike Mignola, Thurop Van Orman and Guillermo del Toro.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

none... and all...

i borrow from none, write in no one's styles but my own...

however, i've certainly been 'influenced' by all, since i've read voraciously from the first moment i learned how and by the time i started writing seriously, had thousands of authors' works stashed away in my head... loving to read segued naturally into having to write...

9. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

I just have to say that I actually laughed out loud when I read this.

Anyway, most of my characters are heavily influenced by the strange people I've met, especially in college. As far as plot goes, I like to mix movies, books, video games, and real life to get that nice blend of epic and grand yet easy to relate to... if that's possible.