Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betterezine

betterezine New Member

What are your tips to speed up the writing process?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by betterezine, Feb 8, 2011.

I'm asking this because I am doing some article marketing for a few websites and I am finding that it takes me about 25 mins to write a 500 word article. What format or process do you follow to speed this up?

2. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle Senior Member

For me, red bull and energy shots help :)

Seriously though, If I spend time thinking about what I want to say, then when it comes time to write it I save time.

Think about it in the shower, or while you do the dishes instead of just coming to a blank page and trying to think of it all at once.

3. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

25 mins isn't all that bad, IMO. lol But I say get into what you write. If you do not have a good deal of interest in what you write, it'll be hard to make it long enough quickly. If you do like it, the words tend to just flow.

4. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

Turn off the inner critic. The problem for many people when they get stuck, for 2 minutes, 10 minutes, or for days it because a part of them got an idea they want to go with, but then they got this insecure voice at the back of the head criticizes the idea even before you tried it out.

Learning to silence that voice, or at leas ask it to wait for later when you at least written the damn thing before it start criticizing it really helps. Tell you self that you just keep on writing, trying that idea out, and if the inner voice really hates it afterwards you can always delete it, or burn it.

Getting rid of distractions also help. Shut off the wlan, or pull out the internet cord. Take a way all you usual distractions.

5. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Unless you are working under a publication deadline, why worry about how fast you can spit out an article? It doesn't matter one bit if your 500 word article takes you 25 minutes, or two hours to write. The resulting work is what is important and rushed writing usually reads like rushed writing.

6. Cornys

Cornys Member

I find that the quicker I try to go the worse it gets.

If I listen to heavy music that I like it seems to quicken the process of typing and thinking, but otherwise I don't know of anything that's helped me without hurting quality.

7. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

I was thinking, if you problem is that you feel frustrated not coming anywhere during thous 500 words, it probably not the writing speed you need to fix, but to pacing of the text.

8. Douglas Rumbaugh

Douglas Rumbaugh Member

Twenty five minutes for a 500 word article really isn't as bad as you seem to think. On a bad day I can spend 25 minutes trying to write out a few lines of dialog. At least for me, as a pleasure writer, time really isn't a constraint due to a lack of deadlines and just a general love of writing. The only time that taking a while hurts me is when I'm writing out something and in that process develop an idea for what happens later. If I don't write that idea down I occasionally forget what it was by the time I get to the point that I wanted to implement it.

The best advice I could offer was already mentioned by Purple Candle, basically just think about what you want to write before you sit down to write it, the article may flow more easily that way.

9. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributing Member Contributor

I think I have to agree with w176 about turning off your inner critic and getting rid of distractions. If you just sit and down and write non stop until you run out of steam than you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with your result. And if you don't like it, try again or edit what you just wrote.

But really, 500 words in 25 minutes is good.

10. art

art Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think I can - physcially - type 500 words in 25mins. My advice: turn on you inner critic.

11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I'm going to agree with turn off your inner critic and just write. I can write on a good day no distractions not focusing on anything else produce around 8-900 words in 20 minutes but then I need a further half hour to edit it. I find if I am doing something like that writing for 20 minutes then putting it down for 20 minutes then editing for 20 minutes can get me about a 1000 word article. When I freewrite without thought of anything but writing, I can write around 2,500-2,750 words in an hour.

I do need to know the story though, so being prepared with research etc when you sit down.

Main things are keep practising, time yourself, turn off inner critic and know your subject. Oh and work on your typing speed'

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

quality should be what you strive for, not quantity!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.