1. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes New Member

Work before work and then work after work.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scribbledhopes, Aug 5, 2012.

Odd statement, but all I am trying to say is becoming is a hard thing to do.

I get up at 3:30 Am each morning to work on my book. I write to 7:00 Am and then head to my full time job that pays the bills. Usually I am home around 4:30 PM. It is a high stress job so usually I am beat. Worse, I am in management, so I usually have a few calls that come my way that need my attention after hours. I usually try to break here and have supper with my family. Then around 6:00 I am hammering at the book, so they know to leave me alone so I can think. I usually write till 8:00 P.M. I hit the hay about 8:30.

The next day, rinse and repeat. I have been doing this for months. I am not just tired, I am tired to the bones.

I get so jealous of people who just write for a living sometimes. Having all that wonderful time to do what we enjoy. I know that sounds horrible, because I am sure they bled to get where they are. I want that life. I just don't know If I can survive getting there.

I have a lot of health issues in my way. I have an autoimmune disease, it's called vasculitis, so I have to monitor myself for mischief. It is very challenging, but I make do. No matter how bad it gets I always think I should be grateful because there is always someone who has it worse. I met a girl who lost both her arms and her legs to the disease. She was eight. I saw a picture of her the other day, she was in a pool with her dad smiling. Kind of humbling when compared to my challenges.

In that vein I offer this small poem. I use poetry to sometimes express what I can't say. Maybe a few can relate. I am tired, I thought of getting another hour in or two but I can't do it.

Just venting...

I will start again tomorrow. be safe. Dave..

My magic shoes

I have a set of shoes I wear when I write
    odd things, they go on my feet backwards
    and it is only wearing them
    I can return to whom I am
    and away from whom I was
    never meant to be.

2. Nightchaser

Nightchaser New Member

I feel your pain. I also have a autoimmune disorder, rheumatoid arthritis, work part time and go to university full time. I find that everything in my life is falling extremely far behind my writing most of all, and its incredibly depressing. Maybe you just need to take a break for a few weeks.

3. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes New Member

Ahhhh A good night sleep for a new perspective.

Thanks Night, it is tough. Though I can work 100 hours in one week at my current company, I can still feel like I hadn't accomplished much. But if I just get a few more pages done that morning, I feel like I accomplished something important.

Writing can be very rewarding.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

On the upside, though -- kudos to you for getting in 5 hours of writing a day! That is quite an accomplishment, especially with having such a demanding full time job.

5. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

i agree... i also work a very demending job in the oil field and it is hard to find time to write sometimes. Be greatful you have 5 hrs a day to write... sometimes i have 30 mins... somtimes i have 10 hours just depends on the day.
    Sounds like you have a good shecdule down though so thats great... would really like to see some of your work

6. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I wish I had your drive to write. I give you props for everything you accomplish! :) I hope you have success in all you do!