What book did Hollywood get right, in your view?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Steerpike, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Want2Write

Want2Write Member

I found Angels & Demons by Dan Brown was well made. With exceptions of few changes that were much needed to avoid the chaos.

'Bridget Jones' Diary' first part was much better than the book. I couldn't read the book at all!

2. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

Hmm. Lord of the rings and the Hobbit were fantastic. Misery, Green Mile, Carrie, Shawshank, Stand by me, The shining and (don't hurt me) Hearts in Atlanits and IT were great, some quibbles here and there but over all I really liked. The Road, No country for old men and Sunset limited (which I watched recently) by Cormac McCarthy were brilliant!. It's not the exact book, more of the situation surrounding him (and the book) writing his book 'In cold blood' called Capote, which was really gripping. The Godfather films are classics. To Kill a mockingbird, Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Gone with the wind are other classics that turned out to be brilliant. I read Schindler's List at school and remembered it being beautifully written and then we watched the film and thought it was beautiful (despite being very grim) to watch. I cant say I'm a Bronte fan but I read Jane Eyre in school too and watched the newly released film with Michael Fassbender and thought it was brilliant.... erm.... trying to think of more......

.....Thomas Harris who is responsible for one of our most loved monsters Hannibal Lecter and the films were pretty good too (Hannibal rising... not so sure..). Ken Kesey One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest is a classic and Jack Nicholson was the perfect guy to play Randle. Jurassic Park was a great book (from what I remember of it :/) and the films were great! (feel old now.. remember going to the cinema to watch it haha). Some people don't like the books and some don't like the film but I loved all three books and the both foreign and american versions of them, The Girl with the dragon tattoo. Charles Portis’ True Grit was brilliant, Jeff Bridges was awesome and handled with the same care the Coen Brothers payed No country for old men. P.D. James' Children of Men I thought was very impressive, the only thing different was that it was set during 2012 but the film was set 2027... not a problem though!! haha.... erm.... there's got to be more... erm... Philip K. Dick's Blade Runner, loved that film (havent seen it for years, might watch that again soon). John Sallis’ Drive was awesome, one of my newest favourited films. Chuck Palahniuk’s Fight Club was amazing, wasn't too fussed on the film Choke though... erm.... god, thats all I can think of at the moment haha.

You can never get EVERY single thing from a book into a film but you can certainly be close and produce classics.

3. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala New Member

I agree with Blade Runner, such an awesome film adaptation (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K. Dick)
    I think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas absolutely NAILED the book. It's such a pity that Hollywood managed to ruin Hunter's first novel 'The Rum Diary'.
    Clockwork Orange was an incredible adaptation, great director, music, cast, setting, everything. The way the score blended classical with this dark and grimey electro was brilliant. The whole atmosphere was intricately woven, and it added to the book, making it into a completely new beast rather than just copying it. Considering the source material I think this one gets my biggest vote. Apocalypse Now was also a fantastic adaptation of Heart of Darkness. Also, American Psycho was perfect. Sure the book was way gorier, but I like how to film implied most of the violence without having to resort to degenerating into a slasher flick like it could have done. Christian Bale was perfectly cast as Patrick Batemen. Parts of The Beach were filmed well, such as the shark attack scene, so I would consider this an OK film adaptation, but of course Hollywood did butcher it in a lot of places (the added romance plot with Francoise and Richard, not showing the friendship between Richard and Keaty, minimising a lot of the Daffy scenes, the removal of JED!!) but as a whole I really liked the movie. The book stands as one of my favourites of all time, and if anyone hasn't yet read it I'd recommend it whole heartedly.