1. Alex Balcon

Alex Balcon New Member

What book to choose?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Alex Balcon, Jun 21, 2013.

So basically I'm looking around at what book I could order. I find it really difficult to get involved in a good book but once I do I find it really hard to put down. I like auto-biographies about peoples lives who have done something exceptional. Or books on mental health or people with mental health problems. Not so keen on fiction. Any suggestions?

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

How about Katherine Graham's autobiography? It's called Personal History. It was published around 1998 or so, but it's still around. She was an amazing woman.

One of my absolute favorite books ever was The Powers that Be by David Halberstam. It's Halberstam, so it's a very long book, but I found it utterly fascinating. He traces the rise of the modern American media, although it was published back in 1979 (it's been re-released), so the modern media at that point was not the same as it is today. But it is still an amazing look at the origins of media and it involves so many political personalities and important people of the time. He charts the rise of four media entities -- CBS, Time Magazine, The Washington Post, and The L.A. Times. It was reading this book that made me keen to read the Kay Graham bio when it came out.

A book dealing with mental health that is also a true account of the author's experience is The Boy Who Loved Tornadoes. It deals with a woman's experience in getting mental health treatment for her son, who had some very severe issues. It was a sad, disturbing and eye-opening read. I highly recommend it.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you ever read Girl, Interrupted?

5. Abigail

Abigail Member

Cogito - I saw that movie and really liked it. I am wanting to read the book as well.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Will by G. Gordon Liddy (this one is still available a few places, but out of print. Most used book stores have a copy). An interesting story, especially of the Watergate Era from Liddy's POV.
    Naked in Da Nang: A Forward Air Controller in Vietnam by Mike Jackson. A romping story of a pilot in a small spotting plane during the Vietnam War, but also focuses on his life and adventures away from the battlefield.

Both are nonfiction, autobiography types of reads.

7. nina arief

nina arief New Member

ignited minds - by APJ Abul Kalaam. He was the president of Inida and nothing great to his list of deeds but the book is kind of self-empowering and really well written. I'm fairly sure you would enjoy it.

8. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

Here's a great website: www.whatshouldireadnext.com

You type in a book title that you've enjoyed previously and it gives you a list of similar books. I use it all the time!

9. charlescollin

charlescollin New Member

Movie was good but like this stories book available in the market. This story was not new.

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

In the mental health category:
    Sybil
    I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
    Lisa, Bright and Dark

The first two are supposed to be based on true events. They're all a few decades old.

11. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

The story of David in the Bible (The Books of Samuel, 1 Kings, and 1 Chronicles) is an awesome story whether you believe in religion or not. I would love to see a movie made about the life of David but Peter Jackson could turn it into twenty-seven three hour movies