What can I do to make this protagonist more interesting?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ryan Elder, Mar 4, 2016.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Absolutely. It's a sick little twist. Women who is attention deprived steals it from a man who gets attention easily. Now she's on the run, and he's chasing her. I love it. You should have more confidence in your ideas.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks. Well for my MC it's either this character, or have the MC be a women violator in the past himself, who learns his lesson after having the tables turned on him. Which character do you think is better for the MC for such a premise?

As for the villain sending pictures to the wife and other officers, I thought of this before, and it was suggested by a couple of others before. But if he is tied up in the pictures, so he can be raped, wouldn't that assist in the investigation of his rape?

3. 123456789

He could have been drugged first. Or she could angle the webcam and or hide the bonds. Or maybe it just looks like he wanted to be tied up? Presumably, if he's cheated on his wife in the past, it won't take much for his wife to believe it happened again.

4. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Oh ya, but I mean if the pictures are sent to her, and she shows them to him, he could take those pictures and it may help in their investigation, so I thought it may not be smart of her to send pictures cause it may help the investigation.

Do you think that making the wife thinks he cheated adds anything? The story is about how he wants justice for being raped, when the system will not give him any, so does making the wife think he cheated add anything, or could it come off as a bit 'soap opera-ish', for this genre maybe?

5. JD Anders

JD Anders Member

I think it is a mistake to make a decision based off of how "soap opera-ish" it sounds. Basically, it adds complexity. The execution of this wrinkle then is what determines whether it is soap opera-ish or whether it truly adds a layer to the character and story.

As it stands, I think the added wrinkle of the wife's worry is a wonderful subplot. You can use it how you like, whether to advance the main story or to resolve some other character issue with your MC. Presumably, something like that would affect him in every relationship, so even if she doesn't know explicit details or have pictures in front of her, it is quite likely she may still suspect something due to a change in demeanor.

6. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Oh okay. Well I did want his relationship with his wife affected by the rape, but wasn't sure how it would be. My gf told me when writing, she says I should write it so that the wife doesn't take the rape as seriously, cause when a man is raped, sometimes women do not take it as seriously, even if it's a wife. If that's true, I can write it like that, where he tells her what happened to him, but she doesn't react enough, like he thinks she should.

Or I could write it so that the wife is tricked into thinking he cheated. Which sounds better? Framed for cheating, or knowing he was raped but not taking it as seriously, causing him to be disgusted by her reaction?

7. 123456789

It's all up to you. No one said the antagonist has to be a genius. Maybe he does use the picture she sent to help track her? It could help move the plot along.

I think that having the wife suspect he cheated (especially if he cheated before) could absolutely add drama, if that's what you want. I don't think it's that soap operahish. If your goal is to make the character unravel, these sort of things can help. It's totally up to you.

8. Red Herring

Red Herring Member

I guess my two-cents is avoid cliches. First line had me smiling, I love that the rapist is a female simply because the portrayal of rape characters as being male is extremely predominant, this already sets your story apart. Also, don't know whether you want this, but having the MC and villain be opposites is cliche. Been done a million times. Making the villain a socially awkward rapist and the protagonist a sexual active mr. popular, while interesting, it feels a bit too poetic to me. Having the MC be a rape victim and a cop with morals is motive enough for both him and the villain to oppose each other. But you still run with the mirror trope if you want. I just feel that when a villain/hero hates the other because they are the opposite of who they are, it feels a bit cliched. Maybe your able to write it in a unique way, and if you feel that way then keep it, but I just thought I'd share that.

If you're goody cop is annoying for the first half then it best to just start with the rape, or have him already be a rape victim. Do you NEED the first half? The Fugitive didn't start at Kimble the dilemma of the bad drug and then the murder attempt half-way through; it started with the murder of his wife. If he's a Cop thats been around, then I'm sure this isn't his first rodeo with serial criminals and rapists.

9. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Oh okay, but the MC does not hate the rapist because she is the opposite of him. He hates her because she raped him. But I need my MC to have something about him before he is raped, or at least that is what I am told, to make him interesting. I was told by readers that he is a boring character for the first half, of the story, since he is not victimized until halfway through, so I feel I need to have something about him rather than just be a plain average joe?

I need the first half, cause the first half sets off a series of events that leads to the rape, such as the rapist discovering who he is, what about him that makes her tick, and how he falls into her trap, so it can all happen the right way. Plus I have to set up subplots with supporting characters as well, that builds into the rape event as well. So if I need the first half as it seems, what can I do for the character to make him more compelling for the first half?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016