1. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Being Creative

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jonalexher, Jan 21, 2011.

Such a lovely thing to be.

I find myself doing all sorts of "creative" stuff. Do you guys do anything else, other than writing?

Other than reading and writing, I love drawing, and creating music. I play piano and guitar, and I've composed some songs already. Tied with drawing I guess you could include Photoshop and digital design drawing.

What about you :d?

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I draw. Mainly Manga styled drawings. Sometimes I fee like Art and writing go hand in hand. Every picture tells a story :)

3. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I as well do some semblance of creativity I suppose; trying to learn the guitar, sketch a bit, muck around in graphic design, and of course write. I do many things, but I am not particularly good at any of them.

4. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

I drew Manga for some years, might go back to it someday. I might combine all of my hobbies into one and create a story driven comic strip, maybe upload them for free, just for fun.

Pallas, to get good at any of the things you mentioned (and mostly all skills, I believe) just practice :D

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I used to make quilts but don't really have the time between children and writing. There are a lot of similarites about the way I approach both that and my writing.

Aside from that no I don't have any real creative talent.

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I knit, and I do little random crafty stuff. I used to quilt, also, but that was when I had my mom's quilting supplies at my disposal. Someday, I'll get my own and start quilting again.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Yeah, my mum goes on about the wonders of quilt making :D

I draw, play the drums, and love photography. I also do a bit of design, and I used to do a lot of drama before a load of issues caught up with me and I realised I got stage fright. :p I'm up for pretty much anything creative. I sew things probably more than average for my age group (stuffed toys and cross stitch mostly), and I got really into ceramics before the class I was in got abolished because the college ran out of money. Also used to do ballet, but then I discovered I wasn't very stretchy, and I sang in choirs a little before I realised I suck at that too. Er... I'm sure I'll think of some more things eventually.

8. BelleIsabelle

BelleIsabelle Banned

I blog and I love photography as well.

9. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Well, I love making jewelry thingies (such as earrings, bracelets, etc) and I also occasionally do some cross stitching. I'd love to learn to sew but so far I haven't yet taken the time to try.
    Oh, and baking, preferably cupcakes. :p
    I also like singing and am now trying to play guitar (one week busy, yay me, lol).

10. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I've always been pretty creative. Other than reading and writing of course, I do a bit of drawing and photography. I would like to learn to knit, and I love the idea of making a quilt, I just think it'd be cool. I've played various musical instruments in the past, and someday I would like to learn the guitar (tried before but gave up teaching myself) and/or the harp (always wanted to, not sure why). I used to do drama for years and had singing lessons for a couple of years but then I realised I wasn't getting anywhere with it so I gave it up. I also danced (ballet and tap) when I was younger.

11. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I'm quite an avid artist. I draw using markers and fine liners, but I also enjoy pastels and paint every now and then. I enjoy cartooning as well, and I used to be pretty good at designing clothes when I was into textiles.

Other than that, I love baking, cooking, crafts, and knitting every now and then; not that I'm any good at all, hah.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't do much of a creative nature any more, other than write and help others to write better, but in my 'old life' in addition to being a professional writer of anything that took words and newspaper/ magazine editor, i created crossword puzzles, was a clothing designer and seamstress, architectural designer of a new home and additions/renovations of several others, designed landscapes, tended gardens, made toys and other playthings for my 7 kids over 30 years or so, and dabbled in art of various kinds, among a plethora of other 'creative' stuff...

i've always been an extremely good cook and was close to a gourmet chef in my old life's entertaining years... also studied ballet and was a better than most dancer of anything from jitterbug to the tango...

13. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Quite a number of skills you got there :p
    What kind of food do you cook?

14. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Photography is right up there with writing. But can't say I've been taking many shots lately. A certain job i had a while ago killed some of it off.

15. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Well, she's also had a lot more time to do things than most of us. ;)

16. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I draw (mostly anime-styled), take pictures, sing, play rhythm guitar and flute (I'd love to learn violin or viola and piano as well), and I'm currently working on a scrapbook for my friend who moved to Louisiana. I've been recently intrested in embroidery and sewing work and crafted a felt owl for a friend's late birthday present.

17. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

It's weird, but I never considered myself to be a 'creative' person. Most people I know seem to think the same thing. Of course, this usage of the word 'creative' is not synonymous with 'imaginative.'

My attempts to be 'creative' usually end with a half finished project. I got into latch hooking for a while, but after the yarn was all placed on the picture, I couldn't finish the product. The instructions were pretty vague and assumed I already knew how to sew (which I don't). So now they are collecting dust at the bottom of my closet...

I like taking pictures, and every now and again I come out with a great picture. I also am trying to teach myself how to cook, which isn't so easy coming from a family that raised me on fast food.

Maybe I'm the only oddball who can string together words on a page that portray a unique idea, but am lacking in creativity elsewhere...

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

got a good laugh outa me there, lydia!... yes, i've certainly packed in the equivalent of several 'normal' lives in my beyond-extraordinary 7+ decades...

thing is, being a virgo's virgo, pretty much anything i do or find interesting, i have to do as well as possible... and i find just about everything interesting!

in my old life, just about everything... including nearly anything that moved... and i could make gravy out of cardboard!... i loved cooking french, greek, italian, mexican [both basics and gourmet stuff] most of all, but since i saw the light and became a moral vegetarian, my diet's all fruits and veggies...

i still do a lot of italian, since i'm sicilian/italian and could eat pasta every day and be happy... broccoli is a staple on the veggie menu, with pasta, rice, flour tortillas and potatoes as my staple carbs... cheese of some kind goes on or in mostly everything and eggs, onions, bread are other regulars... it's hard or impossible to get many of my old favorites here, so i've had to make do with a much sparser list of dishes than i'd prefer... and some things i have to have my sister send me from the states... plus, i go to the next-door island of saipan twice a year for things i can't live without that don't make it here...

19. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

My first love was music. I studied piano as a kid but I don't keep it up. I've been an avid guitarist for more than 35 years, and a singer as well. I've written songs, too, but I find that I'm not too good at lyrics (strange, for a writer ...). I've also played flute, recorders, harmonica, synthesizers, and several other instruments over the years. Never could get the hang of saxophone, though - the embouchure defeated me.

These days I just write and sing and strum, mostly. I've tried drawing, but I don't have any talent for the visual arts. Oh well. I don't have time for the arts I practice!

20. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

You just made me hungry!
    Pasta is also my favorite food, Argentina is very influenced by Italy.
    And that cardboard gravy sounds good :)

21. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Guitar for 35 years? You must be an excellent musician!
    What genre do you play? I've been playing piano for about 7 years now, you should give it a try, get back to it, it's an amazing instrument.