1. Banes

Banes Member

What do I do if my mini synopsis and synopsis are the same?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Banes, Aug 23, 2011.

Some of the agents I am email querying to want a query letter and a synopsis.

In my query letter I included a mini synopsis (about 300 words), which gives the main gist of the story including plot, short storyline, moral.

So now when I am trying to write my synopsis, most of it has the same wording as the mini synopsis + a few newly worded paragraghs for extra plot.

Is this okay or will agents be upset that the query mini synopsis and the normal synopsis is almost the same?

Thank you.

P.S. What is a good length for my first Young Adult Fantasy novel. (Current Plan Is 74000 words)

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

You might consider that 300 words for the synopsis in the query letter is too long?

3. Epic0n

Epic0n Member

Shorten the mini synopsis, then bulk up the regular synopsis; you'll create more of a contrast this way.

4. Banes

Banes Member

How long should the mini synopsis be because it is the major part of my query letter (I included stats within the synopsis). 308 words is the total # of words in the whole of my query letter.

How long should the synopsis be?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

then your query letter isn't one!

the 'summary' part of a query letter should be only one paragraph... better study up on how to write a proper query... i have lots of good tips from the pros on this... if you want, you can email me for them...

a synopsis can be short [1-2 pages], medium [3-5pages] or long [6-10 pages]... most agents/publishers will say in their guidelines how long a one they want... if not mentioned, go with the short or medium version...