1. WanderingStar

WanderingStar New Member

Proposing a book?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by WanderingStar, Nov 26, 2009.

This falls more under the category of Agent. I am wondering if it is appropriate to propose a book (based on an established blog) to an agent without having written it yet?

I've heard different snippets, but it was never clear to me. I've seen people mention proposing topics/books but I haven't been able to find clear cut instructions so I wasn't sure if it was a common practice.

Thanks

2. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I think you can propose a book if it is nonfiction. But I believe that’s only if you have qualifications that tell the agent/publisher that you know your subject and are an authority on it. But I could be wrong.

3. WanderingStar

WanderingStar New Member

Thanks for the response! It would be completely non-fiction and I am very experienced in the subject, so now I just have to go about finding the correct way propose.

4. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I assume a proposal would be similar to a business proposal, which means quite a bit of analysis and probably a thorough outline. You might look for a book on it at the library.

5. WanderingStar

WanderingStar New Member

Thanks, I confirmed your original response and have found a lot of information already. I just needed it narrowed down - my search terms were much too broad.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

dragon's first post was on target... but a book proposal is a very specialized thing, consisting of several parts... you need to google for non-fiction book proposl format and content...

or, you can email me and i'll send you the tips on proposal-writing that i keep on hand for my mentees...

7. WanderingStar

WanderingStar New Member

Thanks, I've been doing a lot of research on it. I didn't know the right terms to use but now that I do I've been able to find the info I need.