What Do People Get Out of Being Racists?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Catrin Lewis, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Oh, in your lifetime. That's a pretty important qualifier.

I think it'll be a long struggle, for sure. And I think it could still flare up from time to time, even after we think it's died down. But that's different from just thinking that it's inevitable.

2. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    Those same text books tell us that Christopher Columbus discovered America while conveniently ignoring the fact that there were people already living there. It has been a lot of years since I went to high school but I wonder how of the books used today still say that?

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

To be fair, I always took that to mean he discovered it for the Europeans. Remember, no one knew there were two giant landmasses in between Europe and Asia back then, they figured it was all just one giant ocean which explains why the Church was giving Columbus that dire warning. They were telling him he was basically sailing out to his death.

My public school textbooks, for what they're worth, did dedicate the first two chapters to the native populace of the Americas before zipping on to European and American history.

4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

True, and of course he actually landed in the Bahamas.

On a similar note, I was told in school that Angkor Wat (and the surrounding temples) was discovered in the C19th. I never thought about it until I visited and it transpires that the place was a living city from construction until a century ago. Western-centric education system.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  5. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Interesting as the Vikings made it to the Americas a few centuries before Columbus but I guess as they were pagans the church would not have paid a lot of attention to them at the time.

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Yeah, the Church didn't care much for pagans. :/

7. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

The fact that they didn't keep written records and had no centralized government in to capitalize on the discovery probably has a lot more to do with it.

8. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Banned

To answer the OP's question.

Racism is a bunch of things, mostly learnt.

Superiority - if a culture / skin color is on average in the higher paying jobs; they feel entitled to keep it that way.

Inferiority - of the same aspect, how would it feel if an all white Christian business suddenly let in a black as the ace of spade Muslim who showed them all that their method of doing business was crap

Ignorance - ask a lot of people in certain areas of the USA nowadays and you'll find they still think blacks are nothing but useless beggers, Mexicans / Latinos are drug pushers, and aboriginals should have been killed of decades ago cause they're nothing but drunks.

It's a cultural thing above - ignorance - because the people there were more often than not taught those beliefs. However, things like Ferguson don't help. Any racist has to just point there and say, they were trying to call the kid [Brown] an angel and look what does barbarians did [the town is 80% black].

Fear - of the unknown. It took Đức setting himself on fire before anyone paid attention to the racism & impending slaughter of Buddhists in Vietnam. Back then Buddhism was still relatively ignored / ill practiced outside of cultural areas and of course as Asians most non-Asians couldn't give two cents of the issues. Racism by fear and the unknown. What happens if we help one side or the other?

Fear - for survival - touching on the Muslim aspect a bit. ISIS isn't radical by any stretch if you look to highly "Islamic" / sharia law countries -- using a 4x4 truck to break a 6 year old boy's arm for stealing a loaf of bread for his starving family for one of the thousands of examples. As it is, Sharia law is cruelty / inhumanity made into "god's words" by humans. And no, it's not Islamic [Sharia]. Its roots are from the barbaric pre-Islamic Arabic beliefs with absolutely no Islamic / Quran ties.

Fear is a double edged sword.

Is fear of things like Muslims "racism". Given as many, many Muslim immigrants would happily kill or rape people in the host countries - UK, USA, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Norway, Australia, Holland, France, etc. ... one pauses in calling it racism. 1,000+ women [including 300 preteens] in Norway [including 20 gang raping an 11 year old and of course no charges laid], 1,500+ preteen girls in the UK [widely ignored by police because of "racism"], etc., etc., etc. By rights in the Quran they're allowed to rape non-believers without penalty; sexual slaves, etc. I could pull up the numerous versus but that's not the point.

Personally I find the concept of racism laughable.

Police & others are not afraid of pegging blacks & latinos as thugs, criminals, etc. - and busting their heads in or pumping such individuals pull of hot lead - however in comparison in people of other religions [Muslim] suddenly we're all clammed up and screaming Islamophobia. In an Islamic state, many Muslims are screaming "sitting duck" with respect to any non-Muslim.

As for the OP's racist idea. Depends on what method of writing. Too racist and you may get no response / readers.

9. Jack Asher

“[In the future] mankind will be as one nation, one race and kind — as waves of one ocean. Although these waves may differ in form and shape, they are waves of the same sea. Flowers may be variegated in colors, but they are all flowers of one garden. Trees differ though they grow in the same orchard. All are nourished and quickened into life by the bounty of the same rain, all grow and develop by the heat and light of the one sun, all are refreshed and exhilarated by the same breeze that they may bring forth varied fruits. This is according to the creative wisdom. If all trees bore the same kind of fruit, it would cease to be delicious. In their never-ending variety man finds enjoyment instead of monotony.”
    ~Abdul'baha
    (Son of the founder of the Baha'i Faith, Baha'u'llah)​

10. BayView

Wow. This is a really BIG pile of crap.

I'm not going to engage enough to actually sort through your nonsense, but I thought I'd better at least post to make it clear that lack of argument does not indicate agreement. It just indicates disgust.

ChickenFreak likes this.
  11. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Banned

Comical ignorance.

Look little boy, I've experienced more by 20 then most people will in their entire lives.

Nonsense - truth. Most people don't like it shoved in their face. Half the reason why the world is little more than garbage. I mean, average nitwit is more concerned about their pimply ass than what's happening overseas.

12. BayView

Oh, are you just 20? Okay, maybe there's hope for you - I mean, it's a LITTLE late for you to grow up and develop some compassion, but it's not completely impossible.

In the meantime, though...

Maybe you can help the OP. What do you get out of being racist? What does your hatred of Islam do for you?

(PS - It's a bit ironic to accuse me of ignorance and then call me a little boy...)

13. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Banned

*Sighs*

I'm 28 actually, publisher of 25 non fictions and 12 fiction books. I've traveled to 42 countries, read both the Bible & the Quran cover to cover. My best friend from preschool is a Muslim whose father is an Imam. Hatred of Islam - how so, since what I mention is NOT even Islamic. But then most ignorant Muslim supporters wouldn't know Islam if it bite them.

Hence the comment of silly simple boy.

As for helping the OP - I did. I choose the Muslim aspect because 90% of people can't see in front of their own nose in that regard.

As is the case when people turn a blind eye to the abuse of aboriginals - which was basically genocide in Canada & USA - as well as the continual degeneration of blacks & latinos.

I see you focus on one thing as is typical of the ignorant.

Ps. As for compassion, I'm quite sure the Norway cops were quite compassionate to the 20 adult men that gang raped an 11 year old girl attempting to enjoy a birthday party - and whom were let off scot free.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  14. BayView

Okay, good! We established earlier that most racists wouldn't SAY they're racists, they'd just say they're realists. So, check mark on that one. What else can you give us?

ETA: And you're not really catching on to the "little boy" issue...

15. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Banned

Actually BayView, you aren't catching onto the little boy issue. I can change it to little girl if that works better.

But compared to me, you are nothing but a little kid with absolutely no experience in the world. You're ignorant, there's no denying that. And kind of limited.

I keep rolling my eyes when I read your comments so as I got better things to do than try explaining what anyone who has common logic already knows, I'm through explaining 2 + 2 = 5 with you.

I doubt you've read the Quran, nor looked past the sports page in the newspaper.

16. BayView

It would be super if you could explain that 2+2=5 thing...

Jack Asher likes this.
  17. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

This really is the response of someone who has no argument.

For the record, how many books you have published in no way makes you an expert on the subject. Neither does visiting the countries. You could spend a week in Hawaii on Waikiki Beach but it would give you no information to the history of the Hawaiians. Live in the countries and only then will you start to see the true story.

Jack Asher and BayView like this.
  18. Jack Asher

It's almost a shame he's not going to last very long here.

BayView likes this.
  19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

(Just leaving a couple of words to allow identification of the post.)

You realize that this isn't a thread for fiction samples, right? Those belong in the review room.

Also, when you create fictional religions and cultures, it would be best to give them fictional names, rather than name them after real-world religions and cultures. People might mistakenly think that your description is intended to be related to the real world.

Jack Asher and BayView like this.
  20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Wowzers. In truth, I'm surprised this thread stayed civil for as long as it did. So, we've got ad hominem: check. Smug, snarky internet trolly discourse, calling people little boys: check. People pulling their "publishing dicks" out in the locker-room for a measuring contest: check. Thread is super off track: check. This things a beaut! Absofrakinglutely awesome.

Also done, and closed.

:closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.