Tags:
  1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

if you are what you eat and drink?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Nov 21, 2011.

then you are what you watch or read, right?

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... No? I mean, you're not what you eat, for starters.
    And people, like me for example, have vastly different habits. I watch very different kinds of films and read very different kinds of books. The only thing you can possibly get from that is being versatile, and that applies to basically anyone.

3. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Does that mean I am Applejack?
    I'm okay with this.

You are what you enjoy eating/drinking/reading.

4. 281

281 Active Member

Definitely....

Most people are careful what they eat, same goes what we feed our mind. Junk food makes you fat and unhealthy, what does Hollywood do to your mind?

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I agree.
    Ithing you are right variety is key.
    I can't then get whose idea was it to say that we are what we eat.
    another slogan on a Evian bottle says: you are what you drink?
    the question is:
    should advertising in packaging be allowed if we are to believe the opposite?

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Versatile is the word.

Enjoying is actually quite a good point.
    an AppleJack? I don't even know what it means.

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what does Hollywood does tomind sounds like a good title for a thread...
    I agree with that as well, if you feed on junk then your body will react by overbearing it but not quitegrinning it.
    as to Hollywood well too much money and not enough class...go figure.

8. Acid001

Acid001 New Member

The inverse, maybe. Or a combination of the two. You watch and read what you are - what interests you and things which appeal to your personality - and what you read in turn reinforces those factors.

Then again, people have life- or worldview-changing experiences when they read certain books. I know that a couple of books I've read totally altered the way I look at writing, and some philosophical non-fiction has altered my worldview entirely. So... yeah, I guess I am what I read. Of course, that implies that what I am is subject to change. Google "anatta"; it's a Buddhist concept that's relevant to discussion of the self. :)

9. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Yeah, you are, you can't be anything else. Well aside from when you're born and you are what your mother ate.
    Your body rearranges the molecules you absorb but it can only work with what it gets. So you are precisely what you eat, minus what your body disposes of.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

hey that's very true.
    in a way it raises the question:
    is everything we do and think and say is because of what we are constanfly fed in terms of images, media and literature.
    I will google anatta to check.

11. Cacian

Cacian Banned

could you say that if you wathc or read too much violence then it might affect you in the same way?

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

to paraphrase former pres bill clinton, "it depends on what 'are' is"! :confused:

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't think the analogy between junk food and books or movies holds up completely. Your body has no choice but to utilize what you feed it. If you eat an unhealthy diet, there are going to be physical consequences. You can't eat something bad and tell your body to ignore it. With movies and books, on the other hand, you can watch or read something tht is "junk" and still retain the inellectual capacity to recognize it as such as treat it accordingly.

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

good points there but do we all have the same capacity to aborb information and retain the intellect behind everything we come close to?

15. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

We all do have the potential to have the intelligence to appreciate 'great' things, but some of us just have access to or open the right doors earlier. There is no limit to oneself but that which you assign yourself.

@Cacian Applejack is a very strong alcoholic beverage, which I enjoy, and the name of one of my favorite characters. It was a pony pun.

16. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

i agree with steerpike, I think the reasoning holds for food and drink, but not for movies and books. i think it's more likely that an already (even if latent) violent person watches a lot of movies of that kind because he likes them, which triggers that behaviour even more. well, of course there are kids that watch them and go out and comit crimes, but I can't help but thinking they would have done that anyway sooner or later, so i don't know if it's fair to blame the movies. the people that get affected by what they read or see (in this sense) probably already have problems with their sense of right and wrong and lack of the mechanism that blocks normal people from doing those things.

17. Cacian

Cacian Banned

it is not fair to put the blame on poeple lightely.
    it is like fantaisies one does not make things by themselves then go and act or commit.
    they have to have a reason or a drive.
    I am not sure I believe that someone is born to harm.
    there is that element that that personne learned harming first to be able to act in the same way.
    that person was either harmed themselves or were prone to learn harming because something somewhere has trigged that inabiltiy to disossiate what is not good from the good.
    they do we are creature of habits and so I think that everyhting we are and do is because we have inherited seen it or learned it.
    there could be no other way around it.

18. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

Perhaps..for me anyway.

I drink a bit too much coffee and I'm a nervous wreck most of the time and have trouble sleeping and all that good stuff.

I like to watch and read plenty of depressing things and I'm a rather depressing person.