1. Zaphina

Zaphina Member

What do you do about writer's block?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Zaphina, Apr 9, 2014.

EDIT - I've just seen the massive pinned discussion about writer's block! Doh! Sorry (don't know if this can be deleted now?)

After feeling particularly inspired whilst having a little time off work, I'm back into work now and on my day's off when I have time to write (like today) I just feel lazy and like I don't want to do anything. I'll happily do exercise or things I enjoy (and I do enjoy writing), but it almost feels like I'm pushing myself a bit to write and I know my writing won't be as good when I feel like this.
    So, any tips or hints for what you guys do when you're feeling a little uninspired and ways that you have found work for you to help your writer's block?
    Not just helpful for me but for all of us as well, as I guess we all get it sometimes!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

The problem with 'massive pinned discussions' is that it's hard to know where to jump in. I don't care enough about the subject to read all 37 pages of posts, but it can be hard to follow a discussion when you come in near the end, so I think it helps to 'refresh' these common subjects with new threads from time to time. Long-time members who have already contributed to the massive thread don't have to participate.

I don't believe there is any such thing as 'writer's block'. I think that there are times when I have something to say, and times when I don't. When I don't, I do something else.

3. Madman

Madman Active Member

When the writer inside me puts up a block, I swipe him from the side and quickly make him fall on his feet. Once down, his survival mode will trigger and he will release the block, trying to get away from my persisting attacks. That's when I take out the flamethrower and rapidly, make him accelerate back to his task.
    Works every time.

The main reason for my blocks are usually that I don't remember where I was in the story, so I just sit there clueless as to how I'm supposed to continue. Therefore I've started to experiment by writing a quick synopsis of past events after each long writing session, so I know where and how to proceed, without being forced to read the previous couple of pages.

Another experiment you could do is stop writing in the middle of an event/action, that might force you to want to continue.

peachalulu likes this.
  4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Sometimes I take a break, read a favorite novel. Sometimes reading something exciting helps me to get jazzed about my project. Sometimes I make a cover for one of my stories on photoshop which is fun - if you're arty. Usually I buy construction paper draw or cut out what I want take pictures and alter it in photoshop. I love doing art. :) Sometimes just getting out in the fresh air is good. Taking a camera or a notepad is good. You can take photos of interesting things or jot some descriptions or feelings down. All free form no pressure. Walking to a coffee shop observing people, having a quiet moment to yourself. For me observing and daydreaming usually is what gets me back to writing. But I start creating things in my mind that eventually need to be released.

Madman - good tip! I often take too long breaks from my story and then have a hard time jumping back in.

5. saliho

saliho New Member

Hi Zaphina. As you know, many people, or we can say writers, has that kind of problem when the pen turns to be useless. I actually use many methods to get rid of that horrible problem, and they are extremely useful. I don’t know if they will be useful for you, but I will share them with you anyway. I get involved in a library or a place which has taking their pens and writing, maybe they are just doing their homework, or taking notes of something or what ever. But watching many people writing around me makes me feel that I need to write something. Also, if you have written a novel, or even a short story, remember how it feels when have finished writing. It feels absolutely amazing, and I always want to try feeling that way over and over again. Sometimes you need just to try another activity besides writing, maybe going for a walk, exercising, visiting a friend. I don’t know how to explain that, but practicing another activity besides writing helps you with your writing, and makes you feel like writing even more than you did before.

6. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I sometimes back up and go in another direction. For example, I'll have my character react differently. This helps if I write myself in a corner.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I write about how I have writer's block. Maybe I'll get lucky like Proust and end up with a 4500-page novel as a result. :p

Andrae Smith likes this.
  8. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributing Member Contributor

I wait it out. Still waiting... and waiting... and waiting... results pending.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the same as i do about jet lag... i simply don't believe in it, so it doesn't bother me...

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

But where's the harm in that? Halfhearted writing is better than not writing at all. I know that some people don't want to write unless they're inspired, but I would argue that inspiration is most likely to show up for work if you do.

Andrae Smith and minstrel like this.
  11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

This is why writers revise, revise, and revise again. Push yourself, and who cares how good it is? You're the only one who will ever see it. You revise it until you're happy with it before you show it to anyone else.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  12. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

Or you could try to top Coleridge's "Dejection: An ode" or Wordsworth's "Ode on Intimations of Immortality." :D

13. Who

Who Member

Most of the time I try to throw in a curveball. Or maybe something more mild, like a changeup.
    If the story, for instance, is at a place where I'm just rolling my eyes and finding myself bored,
    I throw something new in. You can plan out the story and then find out half-way in that it isn't
    as interesting as you think, so you have to improvise a bit. I think that's most of writers block.
    Getting stumped because you've hit a roadblock. A lot of the time this is because you're going
    down a road you probably shouldn't. Pave a new one from there. Problem solved. Makes for
    better stories too.