1. ScottM84

ScottM84 Member

What do you do to find motivation?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ScottM84, Jun 1, 2014.

First, let me state I'm not dealing with writer's block. I'm actively thinking of ideas of things to put into my story and how to advance it. I am, however, dealing with a situation in which things I'm having to deal with in everyday life are leading me without much motivation to actually sit down and write them out into the story. I want to do it, but when I sit down to try, I just can't do it.

My question is this: for any of you that have experienced something similar, what do you find helpful as far as getting yourself out of the funk?

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

I can only speak for myself obviously. For me motivation came first. I am driven to write and have been as far back as I can remember.

3. WeWill77

WeWill77 Member

When this happens to me, I keep writing down the story ideas; keep brainstorming, but I just don't write the story (or, for me, the poem or essay) until there's time to properly flesh it out.

I'm in one of those stages right now because I have 3 doctor's appointments per week, then there's some major family issues, then I'm in summer classes that take up 5 hours per day, and I'm still looking for a part-time job. There's some time to write, but not nearly enough to really sit down and create a whole story.

I still have moments of inspiration, so I write all the ideas down in a notebook as they come to me. I picked up a tiny notepad, almost small enough to fit in my pocket, from the dollar store and I just keep that on-hand.

4. maidahla

maidahla Active Member

prescription drugs :p

okay seriously, i just take a break for like anything b/n a month and a week and then it starts fresh

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I've had many times when this happened to me. My rule was always: real life issues come first, recovery from real life issues comes second. If recovery meant writing, cool. But there were many times when real life issues left me way too drained to be able to do what I had to do in order to write. When that happened, I did what I had to do to recover (in my case, that often meant late-night sessions playing Football Manager). Then, when the batteries were fully recharged and real life receded sufficiently, I was able to dive back in to writing.

Also, during those down periods, I always tried to make time for reading, which also helped recharge the batteries.

6. Blueshift

Blueshift Member

Hey Scott. I'm finding this to be the case too right now.

I would say that if you just can't do it, you don't really want to. If you want to bad enough, you just would. The same goes for myself.

Many times I've opened up a document, and I feel I want to write. Then I get distracted; however, it's occurred to me... I'm choosing to be distracted. I choose to go on youtube sometimes, instead of finishing a chapter.

I once heard an author say he could only finish his writing by putting something else off. Writing was his procrastination. In his case, he wrote two stories side by side...

Perhaps that will help! See writing as you putting something else off.

Otherwise, deal with your distractions quickly, and make your story the only thing that exists after a certain time. Just stay on that page, and leave everything else.

7. IvoWriter

IvoWriter Member

For me it happens when I read some amazing story or watch a movie with an incredible plot. It immediately inspires me to try and come up with my own ideas of worlds yet not created by others!

8. maidahla

maidahla Active Member

What's that one quote by that one person? Something original is original without even trying. But when you try to make it original by comparing it to something you think is original... Just don't always depend on previously published material to come up with your own stuff. I get jealous of a good plot and then hate myself and then I can't seem to like anything I write b/c it sux.

GothicMermaid likes this.
  9. IvoWriter

IvoWriter Member

No.. i like the story.. but the creativity behind me inspires me to write something.. not to steal it or write something similar.

10. KirstyJayne

KirstyJayne New Member

I listen to a lot of music. Sometimes I hear lyrics that inspire and motivate me, other times it can be the tune. Or I just look around, at the outdoors, or people. If that doesn't help, I take a little break, maybe for a week or two. When I come back to it, it's like I'm looking at it with fresh eyes, and that makes a big difference.

GothicMermaid likes this.
  11. Blueshift

Blueshift Member

I also find two other things inspiring. Well one is a way of getting myself to write, the other is a way of getting inspiration.

- Turn off the internet, put a film on in the background on lowish volume on repeat.

- Take a walk and consider awful films/stories that have made it into popular culture. Of course that's subjective and all of us write awful stories in someone else's eyes.

Some things I find truly awful. I can't think of any examples right now... but they inspire me more than great stories, which often make me feel less able.

12. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

I used to have this issue as well. I'd get home from a long day at work and wouldn't feel like writing even though just moments ago I had wanted to. I just get physically and emotionally drained from my day to day activities that sometimes I just need to relax and enjoy myself rather than writer (Though it is enjoyable it is also emotionally draining).

I have specific things that help me get into the writing mood for my current novel:
    • Narrating my story in the voice of Roy Dotrice
    • Listening to a specific OST on YouTube that originally inspired the story
    • Reading a great book; makes me want to be an author too
    • Iam excited for certain scenes I have planned for the later chaptersso that keeps me going
    For me, the original motivation is to be a published author. I don't care whether I make a living off it or if it'll be a lifelong endeavor or if I'll ever be a NY Best Seller; I just want this for my own satisfaction and pride.

13. ScottM84

ScottM84 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. If my trend continues, I'll try some of those things and see where it gets me. At least for today, though, I did find some motivation. At church Sunday, I gave a copy of the first draft of my first chapter to a friend who has a doctorate in English. He gave it back to me today with some corrections and suggestions. When I asked him how it was, he said, "It left me wanting the next chapter." That was a major shot in the arm! I'm taking a short break from writing said "next chapter" to give an update here.

14. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Ah, yes. The most powerful motivator of all.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  15. nippy818

nippy818 Active Member

I have water proof paper and a space pen. usually i take a shower and think over over my ideas writing absolutely everything down. my wizard pen and the fact that someone invented a way for me to shower and write motivates me to do something that may be memorable.

WeWill77 likes this.
  16. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

Step one: Ask myself what emotion an I trying to elicit from my reader.

Step two: Find music that expresses that emotion.

Step three: Listen to it over, and over, and over again while writing.

Step four: ????

Step five: Profit.

Annûniel likes this.
  17. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Contributing Member Contributor

My motivation comes from the possibility that I've out-worn my welcome at work. I just hope I'll be able to get published before I get the sack, but that's no guarantee that I'll be making a living off my first project on its own.