1. JohnnyElsewhere

JohnnyElsewhere Member

What do you do when you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JohnnyElsewhere, Feb 10, 2014.

I'm not sure if there's a thread regarding this subject matter, so I apologize in advance if there's an existing thread.

There are a lot of things in the world that distract us from writing, but what do you do when you write? Do you have a ritual? Habit? Listen to music? Write in silence?

For me, personally, it depends on the scene that I'm writing. If it's an emotional one, I like to put easy to listen music on. For small talk, random conversations and prose, I can write even if there's ambient noise.

What about you guys?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

We have a thread that deals with this kind of thing right here. Feel free to continue the discussion in that thread. :)

3. Siena

Siena Active Member

Just write. You know, get the words down. No ritual.

4. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I listen to music while I write I specifically the music that is sung by the country music duo Thompson Square, there singing style is quiet soothing and listening to it helps quiet all the other crap in my mind and allows me to just concentrate on the writing process.

5. Mackers

Mackers Contributing Member

I can't understand how people can listen to music while they write. I always thought I'd need two brains to do that...I can't concentrate on the lyrics of music and write at the same time!

minstrel likes this.
  6. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

I need to hear my words in my mind, so no, no music. No distractions at all if possible.

However I have worked on outlines in go-go bars and the like :)

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I prefer writing in silence, but if there has to be sound, I prefer the sound of rain. Unfortunately, here in Southern California, rain hardly ever happens. I have to get one of those rain CDs and listen to that as I write.

8. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

Sounds sometimes helps me concentrate. If the kids are watching tv, the part of my brain that wants to daydream about something that is not my book listens to the tv. Then, the rest of my brain can concentrate on the novel.

That only works if it's something I'm not interested in, though.

9. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I can't listen to any music with lyrics while I write, but I can listen to some even-tempered instrumental classical music (string quartets and classical guitar music are favourites.) Symphonies don't work for me because of the constant tempo and volume changes. Too distracting. I would normally NOT listen to any music, but sometimes it's needed to drown out other sounds, like the constant hovering presence of ice cream vans... or sometimes my hubby watching TV.

10. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

for me, there is alway some kind of music playing whether it be Nevermore's The Obsidian Conspiracy album or Trivium's In Waves album, i have something playing, sometimes i may use the titles of what im listening to as temporary titles for what im writing (it also serves for me as a jog to remember where i was going with is...

11. ddavidv

ddavidv Contributing Member

Total silence.

However, I walk on a treadmill while listening to music, and I have created and worked out many scenes this way. But actually putting words down? No, can't have anything on. I just can't tune it out.