What do you do while writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by knightwriter, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

It depends on what I'm writing. A lot of the time I need noise. I'll either leave the tv on low so there's background noise or play something instrumental but driving - like Apocolyptica, Pendulum, ect.

When I get to the climax of a story, it's different. I require complete silence, or the words just won't start flowing. I guess it really depends on how emotionally invested I am in the scene

2. TableTop.Paper

TableTop.Paper New Member

I have that same problem.

I usually start off with something in the background distracting me such as a person or the television. After an hour of half writing half whatever, I would get all distractions out and write in silence to find where I left off and start going at it again. Try to find "the zone".

However, the silence will drive me insane and that is when I blare my iPod into my ears. I find any kind of music the best to serve as white noise while I write. The overpowering volume will dull all my senses and only my focus will remain on the story which improves my speed and writing considerably. I find that for certain scenes, a certain song helps that invokes in my such a feeling as what the character feels.

I suppose I got the same kind of focus trick as you :D

3. Edge

Edge New Member

Yeah but you don't have to listen to the same song, I don't know what it is about that song, but any thing else, and I get writers block. I could have had writers block for a month and I turn that song on and every thing starts to flow.

4. december00

december00 New Member

I listen to music, but I find words distracting so I have a selection of classical which works really well for me - yet it's really the only time I actually listen to classical music. I also have my little fishy aquarium on the desk that I can gaze at if I need a bit of a distraction for a brief moment.

5. OhSoBlondex

OhSoBlondex Banned

I sit in silence xD

6. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I typically listen to music that's currently my favorite, especially if it's not just an average pop song. Viva la vida for instance inspires me. I also find that Michael W. smith, or his albums Freedom and Healing rain to be specific, really help.
    Nate

7. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

The things I do vary a fair bit, it really depends on my mood at the time, I guess. Coffee is required at all times, though. Music generally is, but not always, and what I listen to varies greatly - opera, blues, rock, folk...well, pretty much anything except country and reggae.

Usually, if I find my mind straying from the project, I actually keep writing. It's not uncommon for a first draft of mine to contain completely unconnected ramblings all over the place. (I write in small sections and keep them in separate files, then collate them after the first draft has been edited, so it's not too much of a mess). This just helps me remain at least focused on writing, instead of beginning to fret over the piece and do other, unproductive things... Eventually I'll return back to the original story. Also, I end up with all manner of strange things that are often put to use, in one way or another.

8. silverfrost

silverfrost New Member

I leave the TV on--particularly on channels showing programs I don't have to pay much attention to (mostly sitcoms). I guess that way, I have background noise that comforts me and isn't too distracting.

9. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I just sit and write. I can't listen to music at the same time because I'd just tune it out, so what's the point? I don't mind if there's noise going on because I tune that out too. I have tea nearby to drink, but I don't NEED it there, it's just for me being thirsty. Aside from having my writing project open and being comfortable I don't really need anything else.

It can become dangerous if somebody "needs" something in order to write because what if the day comes when you must write, yet what you "need" isn't readily available?

10. iolair

iolair Active Member

I sometimes listen to music, but can't listen to anything with English or Spanish words, it's too distracting - so either foreign or instrumental.

"Grazing" helps sometimes - nibbling nuts, raisins and stuff like that...

11. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I just sit and type. As long as the position i'm in is cumfy then i need nothing. At the moment though i'm writing a lot near the fish tank... i like the sound of the water...odd, but yeah.

12. Roxie

Roxie Active Member

Music and cafeine are a most for me to sit and write for a considerable amount of time. If I am just jotting down notes then I can usually manage without the tunes and coffee

13. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I seem to do well with music, specifically songs that I have memorized. I find I can sing with the songs but it doesn't take me out of the 'zone,' but it keeps my mind processing.(when my 4 year old is asleep)

I have a harder time when my little man is awake. I am constantly interupted with food, potty, I want this, I want that, etc. Then I have to re-read atleast one paragraph of what I have been writing, to get back into my story/article. If it happens too many times I just give up for then, and try again later.

If I am really inspired, I can write a story in a matter of hours, even with the interuptions. It's like I have to relieve my brain of all my creative ideas, or else I can't think of anything else for awhile.

14. Zcreative

Zcreative New Member

I listen to music. It seems to be a passive-aggressive stimulate to my writing :D.

15. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I try to work in silence if I can. Sometimes, though, I need a bit of background music, so I'll put on Muse or someone of that ilk at a low volume.

16. C.M. Maish

C.M. Maish New Member

I usually stuff myself in my room with music on. Like others, I can't stand the silent. I HAVE to turn on my PSP for music. It's nothing hardcore, it's usually instrumental or something on the lines of that, but lately, I've been having a techno fetish. So I'll have that really low in the background.

17. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

i'll just write. maybe i'll eat, take a bathroom break, watch some tv while im at it.

...but if i'm in desperate need of inspiration....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doc1eqstMQQ

skip to 3:50. you'll see what i mean.

that, or anything else by Sigur Ros will get me writing in a heartbeat.

18. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I drink coffee. Music distracts me if I like it.

19. Ghosts in Latin

Ghosts in Latin New Member

My favorite thing to do while writing is to either sit in silence, with the lights off, or listen to Yann Tiersen (perhaps some other soothing, lyric-less music).

20. TableTop.Paper

TableTop.Paper New Member

For lyricless music I would recommend apocalyptica. Awesome Celeo players and is beyond inspiring for fights and imposing characters.

21. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

I eat banana cake.

22. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

As long as I'm not at home and have iced tea. I don't really have music, but the general noise and chatter of a cafe, coffee shop, truck stop or diner is always there.

23. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I only write, but I usually have three writing pieces open at once.

I switch often, and on a whim.

24. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I usually need noise. Depending on my own mood and what I'm writing it could be Enya, it could be Eminem, it could be death metal. ;)

Nothing else though; I'm a bit ADD, and everything else does distract me!

25. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I'm OCD (such a nice clinical term for being a clean freak) and that's why I can't write at home. It turns into a constant background noise in my head of, "It wouldn't take a minute to pop those clothes in the washing machine. You could start the dishwasher while you're at it, maybe even run the trash downstairs." You get the idea.