1. Megs33

Megs33 Active Member

What do you do with the stuff you cut?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Megs33, Feb 21, 2017.

The entire arc of my story just changed. a large chunk of what I've already written is either getting retooled or tossed entirely.

I kind of want to clean house and start fresh so old material isn't influencing my new ideas, but at the same time i don't want the "first draft" to fade away, especially if I want to look back at those old ideas for some kind of nugget later.

My current modus operandi is to just toss discarded ideas in to a word document, but there's zero rhyme or reason to it. it's just a giant hodge podge of incomplete and semi-illiterate snippets that may or may not "have potential". i've avoided trying to come up with a better system because i tend to overcomplicate... everything.

How do you keep track of the stuff that gets cut? Or do you?

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I like to keep previous iterations, because a lot of the revision I do is experimental, just to try another way. Sometimes it's not better, so if I had lost the previous draft, that'd be bad news.

So, when I begin on a new draft, I open a new word document and copy and paste the older version. I wind up in my fiction folder with Untold1 Untold2 Untold3 etc. That's been the easiest way for me to keep old work and sometimes I do go back and use discarded drafts, characters, dialogue for inspiration.

Megs33 likes this.
  3. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

I do the exact same thing, except I don't even give discarded passages and ideas the dignity of a Word Doc... they simply get tossed in a heap into a Mac Notes file.

You have to throw some darlings into the river. Writing is a ruthless business.:)

Megs33 likes this.
  4. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

A lot of the time I just delete it. When it's a major revision or I think I might actually want/need to revisit the older version, I save the older one as something like "[title] -- first cut" and subsequent drafts with "[title] -- second cut" etc. I also keep wordcounts in filenames so for instance I've got one that's named "Ichthypolis -- 1.1k" and one that's "Ichthypolis -- 1.5k" - in that case I don't actually know which edit I like better, so I didn't want to imply that one was more final than the other. I also have one that's "Ichthypolis -- PROG" because it's currently being edited, so there's no solid wc, and I haven't kept linear cuts, just edited it in a really scattershot way.

Megs33 likes this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I always date my word docs and save them. So in the end I'll have a folder that will read AwesomeNovel92316, AwesomeNovel103416, etc... that will roughly fit into the first, second, or third draft way of thinking. And for each those I have another document that will say "_cuts" at the end of it, so I end up with AwesomeNovel92316_cuts, AwesomeNovel103416_cuts, etc... in which all the major deletions get cut and pasted with a little note about where it was and what I was thinking and why I cut it. Most of the time I don't need to go back into those, but every once in awhile I'll remember something from there and want to go back and use it again.

izzybot, Infel and Megs33 like this.
  6. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

I send it into cyberoblivion

izzybot likes this.
  7. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

Well I have recently been working on a homebrew RPG and everytime I make a new draft I simply make a new word document. Just my thoughts. As for Books I have never been one for second drafts as all my good work is in the first bout of writing. Other than editing I don't see a need for it as long as you have a good outline to your book.

8. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I save to a new, dated file every day, so all my cuts are preserved somewhere.

Not that I ever go back and use them. ;)

Megs33 likes this.
  9. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Each draft is a separate document, so I just delete or alter the content of the newest draft without worry.

10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I keep a document with any significant stuff I've cut from each book. Rarely use any of it, but it's there if I need it.

11. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

I save everything - so easy with these modern computer things - and number the versions. When I'm struggling to write something new I might pluck out an old piece and fiddle some more.

Megs33 likes this.
  12. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I keep a copy of every draft. If your book becomes even moderately successful, you can always post an excerpt as an Easter egg or missing scene (advice from my editor, which I actually followed through on).

Megs33 and rktho like this.
  13. RaitR_Grl

RaitR_Grl Member

I have printed drafts of my work. Prose, notes, anything I've brainstormed... Every once in a while, I'd print everything I have, take a break from my computer, and just go through my drafts to see if there's anything I want to add, remove or just move around. From there, I'd collect everything I wrote down, go into my MS Word docs and make those changes. Plus I may make even more changes in Word before I print again. BUT I still keep my previous printed drafts in case I decide to look back at them for inspiration later.

Megs33 likes this.