1. Tobias Preener

Tobias Preener New Member

What do you guys think of...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Tobias Preener, Oct 2, 2008.

...First person POV where the main character is mainly alone and talks to themself a lot? This is what I write usually, usually broken up by something happening or dialogue with another character.

2. marina

marina Contributing Member Contributor

It sounds like YA realistic fiction, although the narrator is usually dead, which is why they're mainly alone. Examples: A Certain Slant of Light; The Lovely Bones.

3. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributing Member Contributor

I don't see anything inherently wrong with the concept. Like any dialogue, (monologue?) be sure to keep it relevant and interesting.
    Sometimes a little conversation with the man in the mirror can teach us a lot about ourselves.

4. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

It can be a breathtaking success or a heinous torture. It all depends on execution.

5. Kylie

Kylie Contributing Member

There's no problem with the concept, but be very careful how you go about writing it.

6. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Echoing all the responses. It's all in how you write it, but take care not to be bland or boring about it. Or even corny, which could happen if you are reckless.

7. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

Truthfully it sounds rather boring to me. :/ Unless the character is narrating/describing something that happened in the past, which would itself make up the plot; but if the plot IS just this person sitting there talking to themselves, well, for the most part that's not my cup of tea. It sounds too much like personal journaling disguised as fiction, and unless the narrator has something interesting to say, it would be dull. They would have to be a REALLY interesting character to keep my attention. I bore myself well enough sitting alone talking to myself all the time so I know from experience.

Make sure you're actually writing stories that happen to feature a character who sits alone and talks to themselves, as opposed to just writing private journal entries (usually ranty or emotional ones) and attempting to disguise them as fiction. Because if it's the latter, then it will show.

8. NateDoggy

NateDoggy Member

I actually rather like the idea so long as it does not become boring, which is a rather likely scenario. I, however, could see it working and being truly amazing. I can not say I have read to many stories with this concept, but it is a very cool idea.

9. Tobias Preener

Tobias Preener New Member

Well, of course the plot isn't the character talking to themself :p

Just seems that a lot of what I write is monologue, because I like fleshing out the emotions and humanity of the character. I usually break this up with action or dialogue with another character every so often though. Currently, the first two chapters of the novel/novella I've been working on have been dialogue, with one character in each chapter (I also like to switch POV since I write in first person).

10. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian Senior Member

I think it's a reflection of real life.

When I moved away from my home area, where I knew countless people, I ended up in a suburb of Philly, where I knew no one. I then moved to Philly where few say hello, even when they live in your building (I don't have two heads, it's the culture). So, I spend large amounts of time thinking about and reflecting on my surrounds, culture, politics, creative projects, etc. If I do it, then a character could.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what i think is it should be made illegal!... seriously, it annoys the heck outa me unless it's done by an exceptional writer who can make it work and 99.999% of those who try it aren't!

12. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I guess I'm part of the 99.9999% lol. I write them occasionally.

I'm going to go with what mostly everyone is suggesting: the character has to have something interesting to say, even if it's just about him picking his nose. Of course, this means you will have to create a character with a distinct "voice" a la Holden Caulfield. Also, even if the MC is mostly having inner monologues, he/she still needs to do something, or go somewhere, right? So there's bound to be interesting things ahead.

I'd say, go for it.