1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you miss from fantasy novels?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Safety Turtle, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Active Member

Hmm I guess fantasy does have a tendency to have its fair share of Mary sue's (and the male equivalent I can't remember the name of).

I will freely admit that I partly made this thread to figure out what I can do to make my own fantasy setting stand out more and already have a lot of inspiration ^^

cydney likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Sorry, missed this reply earlier.

You'll really want to read Perdido Street Station, the first of China Miéville's Bas Lag novels. If you like Dark Fantasy, you should dig it. It's set in a London analogue called New Crobuzon. It's a creepy, dark, scary, wet, unstable place where magic is science and science can range from clockwork automata to spectacularly messed up "moths" that feed on the nightmares of the citizens, leaving them comatose and ravaged. There's no medievalism, no trite, faux archaic English, no prithee tell, or whither goest thou? There's no quest, but instead a mystery (of the police sort) to be solved. There are left wing rebels and right wing reactionaries. Miéville is a very political creature.

Leave the chainmail and swords behind. Abandon the wattle and daub farm. Strike down every wizard or magician that dares call himself such. Get out of the woods and forest. Stop returning the calls of your elvin friends and delete your dwarvish pals from snapchat. No castles. No wars for thrones. No fucking dragons.

Once you've emptied your table of all of that, decide what you want to say with your story, because your story is NOT the props and costumes; those are incidental. Once you know what you want to say, start thinking of ways to say it that don't have to happen in the real world, or maybe it's a fucked up version of the real world. Just don't write anything that may at some point even hint at someone eventually uttering the phrase, "M'lord."

Lyrical and cydney like this.
  3. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Well one thing I find bit tiresome that we have this amazing universe with all sorts of beings roaming about, and yet the protagonist is always a human. At least with major publications.

It can't be because it's easy to sympathise with humans. I find that to be belittling towards readers. I believe they would do just fine with another race as our point-of-view.

Evian likes this.
  4. Safety Turtle

I see what youre getting at and that would indeed be an interesting take.

Not something I could do in my own story as I've only got humans and monsters ^^

5. froboy69

froboy69 Member

Effort. Hahaha, but seriously, sometimes I feel like certain stories/series recycle familiar aspects in fantasy without trying to do something risky and different to it. Now by all means it is hard to be original depending on how you're approaching your story telling, but I can't help to yawn whenever I review other people's work.

6. Ebenezer Lux

Ebenezer Lux Member

I think to an extent, we crave those familiar tropes or there is a bizarre disconnect. That debate will go on forever however. I think fantasy is missing humble protagonists, lately anyway. Maybe that's a call back to the old stuff.

7. Safety Turtle

What do you mean by humble protagonists in this case? not sure I follow.

8. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Contributing Member

I mean, new subgenres are always coming out.

LitRPG started off in Russia, but only came out due to virtual technology advancing.

Science-Fiction is probably going to get more popular, but I see Fantasy mixing with technology more.