Tags:
  1. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

The Most Creative Similies and Analogies You'll Ever See

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mercurial, Jun 19, 2009.

This is going around in emails lately. I found this absolutely hilarious, and given that we all have a soft spot for writing, I think you guys will too.

I kind of want to be an English teacher now... :D
    My favourites include numbers 9, 14, and 18.

--

Each year, English teachers from across the USA can submit their collections of actual analogies and metaphors found in high school essays. These excerpts are published each year to the amusement of teachers across the country.

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli, and he was room temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot, three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the East River.

18. Even in his last years, Granddad had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en Pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

HAHA, those are great! I liked 20 a lot, too.

3. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

hahahahaha~ these were hilarious :) thanks for the laugh!

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

haha, this made my day. Thanks a lot.

5. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

#6 and #7 are awesome.

6. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

If there is any truth to #24, the US is a far more awesome place than I'd ever imagined.

7. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

#16 Sounds like a Monty Python sketch. :D

#22 "I'm sorry, my train of thought jumped the tracks."

And #19 is just Gibberish to me. :p

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have to wonder if all the students whose work was quoted had given their permission... and if they get any share of the profits, if the collection is sold and not just passed around...

9. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    LOL those were hilarious. I bet those kids had some great laughs slotting them into their coursework. :D

My friend, in her essays during an exam, randomly sticks the word 'Crumpet' in somewhere, just to confuse the examiner LOL.

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Those were rather raucous, like fans at a Courtney Love concert who have just been told that Courtney's latest rehab visit was completely successful. :D

11. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I have not genuinely laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks for the fun. :)
    By the way, number 3 is one of my favs. xD

12. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I absolutely love the one about Phil. Comedic gold.

13. lazerus reborn

lazerus reborn New Member

I have a broken rib and still managed to laugh at these, thxs for the pick me up, now i think ill go an pass out from the pain lol

We get these aswell in england, though its from the exams normally, ill see if i can get my english teacher to get me a copy.

-cb