1. MisterOz_GatorLover

MisterOz_GatorLover New Member

What do you think of a girl gaining positive recognition through her Show Choir?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MisterOz_GatorLover, Mar 28, 2011.

I am talking national recognition. Her show choir captivates Hawaii, then enters a national competition of show choirs and wins. Her fame balloons and increases as she tours the country and later the world. She's on the covers of magazines and wins awards in a span of months.

But all the while, greedy producers are trying to take advantage of her, as are a rival choir and overzealous "fans". Does this idea excite you? It might be the idea I've been looking for for a long time.

And one question: would people who win a national Show Choir competition on TV gain any notoriety at all? And if so, would they be stars like the cast of Glee is today?

2. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I don't know if it "excites" me as such, because I'm just not into this particular kind of story.

And we're in a day and age where a kid with a Youtube account can get a contact with a major record company. So I'm not ruling anything out in terms of what a person can become famous for.

3. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

The Hawaii location looms large in so far as her ability and/or inability to gain nation recognition. If you want a better understanding of management's exploitation of talent a must read is Bill Fitzhugh's Fender Benders.
    Steve Lopez' The Soloist will help you understand the concept of god given talent .

4. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

You should flesh out the idea a bit more. Is your MC the director in charge of the choir or is she a singer in it? How would producers try to take advantage of her? Are they offering a movie deal of her life story or what?

Yes, winning any competition will gain you recognition.

I wouldn't use the characters of Glee as an example, however. The show's portrayal of people is about as silly and unrealistic as you can get.

5. MisterOz_GatorLover

MisterOz_GatorLover New Member

True. She does most of the work for the choir but sings. She is the one who choreographs the moves and decides the solos.

I ain't modeling her after the characters of Glee. Rather, I'm having one of her rewards be a spot on a show (musical) as popular as Glee. One of the other rewards is an opportunity to tour everywhere in a span of months.

And one question: if she were to win a competition and release covers as well as new music with her choir, would all of them receive the recognition the Glee people are receiving today? And would being on a show as popular as Glee (and having a celebrity like Jennifer Love Hewitt sponsor them) enhance their fame? Answers to both questions would be nice and would go a long way towards furthering the story.