What do you think of Fan Fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by JC Axe, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

That's an odd analogy. I don't get the analogy - it's got nothing to do with punching anyone... The abuse of a human being is frankly not in any way similar to fanfic, even if you felt fanfic is an abuse of your work. The two are not equivalents. I don't care how precious your work is to you - a daughter is infinitely, incomparably more. (and if that's not the case, then erm... I think there's something wrong, sorry to say)

Imitation is the best flattery. Seriously, I don't even get all this indignation over people doing fanfic of your work. You'd be lucky that enough people loved your work enough to spawn fanfic from it! You'd be lucky that many people even read it! (you in the general sense, not you specifically)

I dunno. Chill. Don't take your work so seriously. If someone makes crap fanfic out of it, have a laugh. Sometimes it might frustrate and infuriate you, but ultimately, it's just people showing love for your work. It's evidence that your work meant that much to someone, that your character was that real to someone. Means you did it a frigging good job.

Now quit complaining (not you specifically, just a general statement) and I dunno, laugh a little :D

KaTrian, jannert, Okon and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I don't think of my work like I would a daughter, it's the violation I mean.

I'd be happy to have someone enjoy my work on that level. But I'd rather that they don't write fanfiction of it. I'd be lucky to get to that point in my writing career, but I'd still rather not have fanfic written. That's my choice as the author. There are other ways to support me as a writer without writing fanfic.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm sorry, but you actually don't get a choice in the matter. Don't want fanfic written of it, then don't publish it. It's useless to keep crying about "But it's my work! It's my right!" Yes, you're right, it certainly is, but if people love it enough, fanfic will happen. The only way to prevent it is not to publish it at all.

You're either gonna have to get over it and deal, or forget about publishing your work.

I agree though there are better ways to support an author, such as promoting his book via word of mouth, lending out copies, leaving reviews and 5 star ratings :) Unfortunately, you can't dictate how people are going to support you.

Point is they're supporting you - take what you can and be grateful, and leave the rest.

Okon and Simpson17866 like this.
  4. Ulramar

Or, you know, I could say, "Hey! Please don't write fanfiction about my work!" Works well for George R.R. Martin. It keeps fanfiction of ASOIAF off of the main fanfiction sites and keeps it underground. Good enough for me.

Mckk and jannert like this.
  5. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Hasn't everything been said about this topic already?
    Seems a lot of similar back and forth now.

So, what is YOUR stance on fanfiction of your own work?

Me, I find the idea of fanfiction a modern thing.
    Sure, it always existed but the internet certainly made it into a big thing.
    So, for now, if people wrote fanfiction with my world or characters, I think I'd allow it. I believe it does me personally no harm nor to my work. So, as long as it's good faith to respect my work and not trying to publish over me, go ahead.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I agree, there is only so many times you can say 'It's my property! It's not your property! IT'S MY PROPERTY! IT'S NOT YOUR PROPERTY!'

7. Ulramar

Another point is the whole, "I want to write a sequel but I could get sued by a fanfic writer because they think I plagarised off them."

I'd like to mitigate that to the max. I love the internet, and some 2 bit writer who likes my story a lot isn't going to keep me off of it. I don't want to get sued if my sequel's plot is similar to theirs.

So, there's another reason why I don't want fanfiction written on my stuff.

8. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

There is also the more interesting issue of whether or not fanfiction is worth writing, regardless of whether the original creator allows it. That gets into the question of why we write.

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I know, I was just making light because that topic seem to be over. :confuzled:

10. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I don't even...fucking...know...
    ...what you guys are talking about now.

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

You do reaize how difficult it would be for someone to claim plagiarism if you've never read their story, right? Because the likelihood of being able to show enough exact sentences, phrases, paragraphs, characters, etc etc to even get near a courtroom are near astronomical. Despite the headlines, most of these cases get tossed out before going anywhere.

12. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Um, how can you prove you never read it if it's available online? These lawsuits happen in film all the time with people suing film-makers that their script was ripped off even though the film-makers never even read it. And we're talking just the plot! They don't get tossed out. In film, more often than not there are out of court settlements because court cases delay very expensive openings, so paying out 100k is cheaper than fighting.

13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Sometimes I wish George RR Martin did allow fanfic. Maybe this saga would actually get finished. By somebody.

KaTrian and daemon like this.
  14. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

If you've never read their story, how can they show "that the alleged plagiarism is based on a substantial similarity between the two works"? (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/plagiarism) (bolding mine) This is why they get tossed out. This sort of fear is similar to "I don't want to talk about my idea 'cause someone will steal it!".

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Do you mean, bring it right up to date? With the final scene of Prince Charles hovering near Queen Elizabeth's death-bed?

jannert and Lemex like this.
  16. jannert

You can't do that. It's Fan Fic. He's forbidden it....:eek:

Shadowfax likes this.
  17. jannert

Quick. Delete it now. Before he sues you.

Lemex likes this.