1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Amazing But Pointless Scenes?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, Jan 14, 2012.

You ever, while writing something, write a scene that is amazing, but has no place at all in the story? If so, what did you do with it? Save it for something else? Try to put it somewhere else in the story?

I ask this because this JUST happened to me, with a transformation scene which worked quite well, to say the least... but not in the context it was first written in.

Thoughts?

2. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

I think sometimes it works. Of course "amazing" is all opinion. But I think if you have a scene that is either entertaining or thought provoking, you can get away with it if it doesn't advance the plot.

3. Phineas Love

Phineas Love New Member

This actually happens to me a lot.

What ususally ends up happening is that, as I progress in writing a story, or as I fine tune some things, I find that scenes I wrote that had no place in the story when I originally wrote them suddenly have a place. Sometimes I use the more pivotal scenes as a guide to where I want to go with the story. But then again, I've written a lot of scenes that I think will show up later, but end up getting cut out, or I end up having to change them.

If the scene you just wrote feels right, but not in context, then maybe it does belong in your story and I suggest that you try adjusting the story to fit the scene or keep writing. Even if you don't have anywhere to place the scene right now, you may just find a place for it later on. But don't force it. If the scene can't fit in with the story naturally after you've given it some thought and tried different things, then save it so you have it, but let it go.

4. Granville

Granville New Member

I do it all the time--not the amazing bit unfortunately, but I write something that just doesn't go where I intended to go, but has such a developed feel to it I can't bring myself to delete it. I cut and save to a file called "CUTS". I've used one or two as well. One in particular that I did 13 years ago and forgot all about for all that time then I rediscovered it on a CD backup!

5. forgotmypen

forgotmypen New Member

Usually I save the scene and set it aside for later in the story. There have been times, however, when I've started entirely new stories off these stray scenes, which is usually lots of fun.

On occasion, I'll steer the story in the right direction... (forcing the scene to be in context).

6. Ink Heart

Ink Heart New Member

Ahaha, yeah. That happens to me as well.

At first, when I began to write the words, I suddenly stop when it is about 80% complete, thinking that 'Oh hey, this doesn't relate to the main plot AT ALL'. Even though it looks so perfect (in my opinion, of course), I can't seem to place it there just yet, until I've made changes to the plot. However, if it doesn't just fit in, I just save it for late that may be of use, I guess.

7. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

It happens sometimes. I say either work to make it relevant, however little that relevancy may be. Either that or just accept that it doesn't advance the story. Depending on the story, it can be considered a breather and if it's entertaining enough, the reader won't care. And who knows, others might think it does help advance the story quite a bit, even if it's only in fleshing out a character a bit.

8. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

The more I look at it, it strangely highlights flaws the rest of the story has so it looks like I may just need to edit the rest of the story for it.:p

9. Protar

Protar Active Member

Personally I can't say I do this. Sure, I sometimes imagine scenes that would be amazing but I won't usually write them until or unless it's going to work in the context of the story. You'd think that we'd be able to twist the story towards these scenes we love so much, but it seems to me at least that my story has a life of its own. If it takes me were I want to go then I consider myself lucky. If not I usually have fun anyway.

10. pinkgiraffe

pinkgiraffe New Member

Remove it if it doesn't work in that story, but don't throw it out. You can probably use it, or at least recycle some parts of it, in another piece of work.

11. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

I'll write a story, but I'll play with the characters with my mind, and come up with scenes that don't really have anything to do with the story's plot. I'll just write them in a stand-alone short story, or a one-shot, depending on the length. Sometimes, depending on the manner of the scene, I'll just keep it in the book. "Fluff" I think is what they call it, if I'm on the same page, here. I think every book needs a little fluff, at least. I think it gives the reader a chance to get to know the characters a little more, but again I guess that depends on the scene that you're writing.

12. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I can't say it happens to me either, but I agree with the advice from Show above. Either make it relevant somehow or accept that is has no place in that story.

13. joanna

joanna Active Member

I had a scene that revealed characterization but did nothing to advance the plot. It was a lengthy scene, too, and it was completely out of place because there was a lot going on in the story and every other scene did advance the plot.

I kept it, and as I neared completion of the story I realized that that scene tied in to a plot hole. It fit just right, like a puzzle piece.

14. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Save it, of course! Copy and paste it into another file. Maybe you'll use it in this story, or maybe you'll reincarnate it in another project. Unfortunately, you can't really publish anything that is pointless. Unless your point is to be pointless, but then you still have a point to get across, don't you?